Author Topic: Yellowstone  (Read 1760 times)

Yellowstone
« on: 03 April, 2009, 10:14:32 pm »
I've been watching the Yellowstone series on iPlayer - fantastic, isn't it?  :)

border-rider

Re: Yellowstone
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2009, 10:16:42 pm »
Yep

We're going there at the end of August :)

« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2009, 10:18:57 pm »
guess where we're planning our holiday this yr?  

go on, guess... ;D

dammit - MV, you beat me to it!  i'll see you there...

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 03 April, 2009, 10:22:13 pm »
Book now before it explodes.  I've seen that movie...

« Reply #4 on: 03 April, 2009, 10:54:08 pm »
I've been.
I can't tell you how spectacular it is.
I want to go again, this time in winter.

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 03 April, 2009, 10:57:25 pm »
Yeah, winter looks great.  The spring flowers looked amazing too.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #6 on: 04 April, 2009, 12:09:58 am »
It's an amazing place, the wierdest thing for me was that everybody applauded when Old Faithful erupted, It would have been much more applause worthy if it hadn't.

You will also get very bored of bison - "Oh look, there's another one."

If you park up anywhere and get your binoculars out I can guarantee that within 5 minutes the area will be teeming with people claiming that they can see elk/wolf/bear/bald eagle/dinosaur even if the only living thing in view is a crow.

« Reply #7 on: 04 April, 2009, 12:21:50 am »
It's an amazing place, the wierdest thing for me was that everybody applauded when Old Faithful erupted, It would have been much more applause worthy if it hadn't.

Hmmm.
That appears to be what Americans do- holler and whoop at natural events that happen roughly as predicted.
Don't get me started on being on top of a (very) large sand dune at sunrise in the Sahara with a large group of Mercans on the dune behind me.

For Jellystone though, take or beg/steal/borrow/buy some good binoculars and get advice on where the bears come out to graze in the evening. Finding the place and then seeing tiny, black specks moving around across the valley by the unassisted eye isn't clever. Don't ask me how I know this.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #8 on: 04 April, 2009, 09:55:20 pm »
I went there about 5 years ago in April.  There was still loads of snow around just to the south in the Teton National Park where the elks were, but once you got into Yellowstone itself, it was clear and much warmer.

It was quite surreal to be walking around on the wooden ramps next to boiling water pools.  Most of the tourists tend to keep fairly close to the Visitor centre, so the more distant geysers and pools were more peaceful. 

Once you get further north, it's very wild & remote.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #9 on: 04 April, 2009, 10:02:17 pm »
Isn't that where Yogi Bear & Boo-boo live?

IGMC, and I can hear the taxi is outside....