Author Topic: Community Speedwatch Group  (Read 5509 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Community Speedwatch Group
« Reply #25 on: 28 July, 2017, 10:32:31 am »
Close passes is a whole other matter.

No one seems to care.  Both the idiots that do the close passes and the enforcement.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #26 on: 28 July, 2017, 10:50:58 am »
Close passes aren't a great problem for cycles or horses out here in my experience.  However, the treatment of peds on country lanes is appalling.

GN.  The whole of Llandysul is now 20 mph.
BN.  The only people who stick to the new limit are those behind me when I'm driving.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27 on: 28 July, 2017, 02:08:39 pm »
The more people that do what Basil does, the better a speed limit is adhered to.

Many people I know have done a Speed Awareness Course over the last year or so. Almost all of them are surprised by the stats and stuff. Some of them take more care now.
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 28 July, 2017, 02:14:17 pm »
Quite a lot of speeding, as well as risky junction manoeuvres, are down to perception of pressure that you're holding up drivers behind, I reckon. Same goes for riding in the gutter and the door zone.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 28 July, 2017, 04:32:06 pm »
Quite a lot of speeding, as well as risky junction manoeuvres, are down to perception of pressure that you're holding up drivers behind, I reckon.

Agreed.  I quite like driving cars with a speed limiter function: Set it to 30 (or 20) and while distraction or social pressure might cause you to push your foot down slightly harder, it isn't enough for the more deliberate act of pressing the 'cancel speed limiter' button.

Never mind fully autonomous cars, let's have this set itself to the right speed automatically every time you pass a change in speed limit.  Keep the override button for the odd occasion the database/OCR gets it wrong.  The wankers will press the button to in order to speed anyway, but they'll only get as far as the vehicle in front.

« Reply #30 on: 28 July, 2017, 08:56:11 pm »
Quite a lot of speeding, as well as risky junction manoeuvres, are down to perception of pressure that you're holding up drivers behind, I reckon.

Agreed.  I quite like driving cars with a speed limiter function: Set it to 30 (or 20) and while distraction or social pressure might cause you to push your foot down slightly harder, it isn't enough for the more deliberate act of pressing the 'cancel speed limiter' button.

Never mind fully autonomous cars, let's have this set itself to the right speed automatically every time you pass a change in speed limit.  Keep the override button for the odd occasion the database/OCR gets it wrong.  The wankers will press the button to in order to speed anyway, but they'll only get as far as the vehicle in front.
It's what I use the cruise control for, in a car that lacks the speed limiter function.

Of course, it doesn't work at speeds where it would be most useful, sub 20 mph.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #31 on: 29 July, 2017, 12:06:51 am »
Mine works down to 30 km/h, which is an improvement over the USAnian standard of 25 mph.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #32 on: 30 July, 2017, 04:01:59 pm »

You could record usuage of the override button (why shouldn't cars have a black box: a road is a public space so no privacy excuses) and then excessive use could be used against driver  in court...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #33 on: 30 July, 2017, 08:36:47 pm »
Many do have a black box in Usania, apparently.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #34 on: 31 July, 2017, 12:48:21 am »
You'd need a Hummer to attract one that hasn't.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #35 on: 01 August, 2017, 06:30:23 am »
My luck to get one then...when the car was in another country.

Pain in the arse to deal with.  Never did get an apology.

Can be "genuine"... My Father used to receive a number of speeding and parking fines, mainly in London or occasionally Leeds

When he challenged, it took time and effort to show he and the car were elsewhere

Eventually "he" was arrested Leeds and the car was a clone. Same make, same model, and his registration. Meant that in routine checks it would come up as licensed driver and insured

Unlikely in a local car where the original is also local, but can often explain the odd ticket

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #36 on: 01 August, 2017, 08:10:09 am »
No idea, not had anything else through.