Author Topic: Frys Turkish Delight  (Read 17508 times)

Frys Turkish Delight
« on: 09 October, 2012, 09:02:17 pm »
As a child, it was the booby prize of the chocolate world. It was the one chocolate that if someone gave you a bar of it, you'd be disappointed. We were discussing in the pub whether its disappearance from newsagents was down to changes in taste, or increasing islamaphobia, as it was probably the only chocolate advertised by a man dressed as a sheikh with a giant sword. Tracked down a bar tonight, discovered my tastes have changed. I quite like it now.
Ironically, it's easier to get real Turkish delight near me, than the Fry's version, but they cover that stuff with icing sugar rather than chocolate, I think they're missing a trick there.

Re: Frys Turkish Delight
« Reply #1 on: 09 October, 2012, 09:05:37 pm »
Iconic as was fry's chocolate creme thingy bar.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: 09 October, 2012, 09:08:45 pm »
Can you still get After Eights?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #3 on: 09 October, 2012, 09:10:14 pm »
As a child, it was the booby prize of the chocolate world.

Heresy!  Fry's Turkish Delight married the sweet perfection of any other confectionery to the smug sophistication of "grown up sweeties" and was therefore towards the top of the desirability list as a child.  Also, it has that sort of floral smell, not as strong as Parma Violets but definitely on that spectrum.

These days I prefer 'real' Turkish Delight but I still buy it occasionally just to see if it's as amazing as it used to be.  I'm always disappointed.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4 on: 09 October, 2012, 09:14:57 pm »
1) Take a bar of Frys Turkish Delight
2) Put it in the freezer
3) Wait, far longer than is reasonable, for it to freeze
4) Remove from freezer and, before opening, bash it into bits.  Preferably with the knife steel inherited from Great Granny Isobel, but failing that a toffee hammer/lump hammer/other favourite blunt instrument would do.
5) Eat.

Ahhh..... the tastes of one's childhood.

« Reply #5 on: 09 October, 2012, 09:17:16 pm »
Can you still get After Eights?

a friend invented the manufacturing process for those.  The minty bit is rigid before it's coated in chocolate, then goes liquid after the chocolate has set.  Never challenge her to a game of trivial pursuit.

« Reply #6 on: 09 October, 2012, 09:22:58 pm »
As a child, it was the booby prize of the chocolate world.

Heresy!  Fry's Turkish Delight married the sweet perfection of any other confectionery to the smug sophistication of "grown up sweeties" and was therefore towards the top of the desirability list as a child.  Also, it has that sort of floral smell, not as strong as Parma Violets but definitely on that spectrum.

These days I prefer 'real' Turkish Delight but I still buy it occasionally just to see if it's as amazing as it used to be.  I'm always disappointed.

Nostalgia sure isn't what it used to be.  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #7 on: 09 October, 2012, 09:24:13 pm »
The chap who played the man dressed as a sheikh with a giant sword in the TV advert is now the landlord of the Black Eagle in Handsworth.  He's obviously a lot older now, but it is still easy to see that it's him.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #8 on: 09 October, 2012, 09:25:08 pm »
I remember reading the lion the witch and wardrobe and being amazed that one of the kids got friendly with the white witch after she gave him Turkish delight. I'd have told her to piss off and come back with proper sweets like smartest or curly wurlies

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #9 on: 09 October, 2012, 09:28:52 pm »
As someone who much prefers dark chocolate and isn't keen on floral sweeties, I love Fry's Turkish Delight. It's full of Eastern promise!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #10 on: 09 October, 2012, 09:32:05 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qAY_o36paQ0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/qAY_o36paQ0&rel=1</a>
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 09 October, 2012, 09:40:03 pm »
I liked Fry's Turkish Delight. Then Dad told me how his uncle, Jack Politi, had introduced the confection to Britain. After that, it was always Politi's Turkish delight, usually supplied in massive quantities by David Politi to Auntie Ellie, my paternal grandmother...
I've not had Turkish Delight for a long while but the Tigris Supermarket round the corner has a good range of Rahat Lakoum...

« Reply #12 on: 09 October, 2012, 09:44:22 pm »
Seems to me your uncle was a sensible fella and that you have the most enormous reason on earth to sink your mandilbes into turkish delight.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: 09 October, 2012, 09:55:03 pm »
I like Frys Turkish Delight. Nearly bought one on Saturday till I saw the Double Deckers were reduced. It's nicer than Dairy Milk Turkish, though I'll eat that, too.
Chocolate Cream and Orange Cream are dark chocolate, I like those too. Harder to find, but still around, though obviously smaller than in our youth.
You don't get to be this size from turning your nose up at cheap-and-nasty chocolate, y'know.

« Reply #14 on: 09 October, 2012, 10:00:38 pm »
I like Frys Turkish Delight.
Chocolate Cream and Orange Cream are dark chocolate, I like those too. Harder to find, but still around, though obviously smaller than in our youth.
You don't get to be this size from turning your nose up at cheap-and-nasty chocolate, y'know.
I agree with this. :) Mmmm, cheap chocolate. :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #15 on: 09 October, 2012, 10:01:11 pm »
I like it, but not as much as I like Rum and Raisin Marzipan bars that you get in Lidl.

« Reply #16 on: 09 October, 2012, 10:20:35 pm »
I like it, but not as much as I like Rum and Raisin Marzipan bars that you get in Lidl.
:drool:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 09 October, 2012, 11:27:12 pm »
I've not tried Lidl marzipan. We really eat little chocolate nowadays and David doesn't like marzipan. Holidays in Copenhagen were sweetened with Anton Berg's marzipan; probably the best in the world...

« Reply #18 on: 10 October, 2012, 06:03:23 am »
Ah yes. Plum in Madeira  :P

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #19 on: 10 October, 2012, 07:48:05 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qAY_o36paQ0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/qAY_o36paQ0&rel=1</a>

No not him.  There is an older shorter advert.  Same character. 
I've searched for an image, but can't find it.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #20 on: 10 October, 2012, 07:49:55 am »
I love frys Turkish delight and I love marzipan, I now want both

« Reply #21 on: 10 October, 2012, 08:15:07 am »
I love frys Turkish delight and I love marzipan, I now want both
I might have to delete my contributions to this thread otherwise I'll be constantly reminded today. Nom.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #22 on: 10 October, 2012, 08:18:44 am »

Nostalgia sure isn't what it used to be.  ;D

There was an early TV advert for it with a song  parodied as

"Fry's Turkish Delight
Makes you sick in the night"

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #23 on: 10 October, 2012, 09:02:08 am »
I'm with geraldc.

It was disgusting. Probably still is.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #24 on: 10 October, 2012, 10:48:25 am »
My Dad (Nelson Wheelers and Lancaster CC in the thirties) rated it highly as a proto energy bar.

Upthread someone mentioned Fry's Chocolate Cream, which I don't remember. Now Fry's Peppermint Cream (according to Wikipedia (should we adopt ATW as shorthand?) there were three flavours). was one of my favourites.