Author Topic: Little Eye On The Crazy World Of Foreigners  (Read 134795 times)

Guy

• Retired
Re: Little Eye On The Crazy World Of Foreigners
« Reply #300 on: 27 March, 2020, 12:39:32 pm »
As far as healthcare goes, that twat should be given the same place in the queue as he occupied when the brains were being handed out.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #301 on: 27 March, 2020, 01:51:58 pm »
As far as healthcare goes, that twat should be given the same place in the queue as he occupied when the brains were being handed out.

Thought at first that this referred to Bolsonaro. It could, though.  Encouraging churches to stay open etc. I hope they've got sanctified hand cleanser in the stoups.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #302 on: 30 March, 2020, 01:07:30 pm »
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #303 on: 31 March, 2020, 07:21:32 am »
another entry in the "Florida man … " series:

Florida man link

(and, any hints at why the hyperlink, and not the clever quip I'd like to have appear, is showing up? I used the "insert hyperlink" tool)

« Reply #304 on: 31 March, 2020, 07:31:12 am »
Looking at what you wrote - your URL occurs twice.  If you replace the second instance with your clever quip it should work as desired.

« Reply #305 on: 31 March, 2020, 07:50:43 am »
and from the other corner of continental Usania, on a route I've often cycled on

Another link

and that was with square bracket url close square bracket, link, square bracket, forward slash url close square bracket , fwiw.
In days of old I recall something appearing that let me put a bit of text there.  I shall look at some others  with the concealed link and see what I'm missing.

« Reply #306 on: 31 March, 2020, 07:56:42 am »
Try:

square bracket url=link close square bracket, linkclever quip, square bracket, forward slash url close square bracket

« Reply #307 on: 01 April, 2020, 03:05:12 am »
I will give that a try.

Commas are relevant, especial in " Panda eats shoots and leaves " => "Panda eats, shoots, and leaves"

<mod> we fixed your links above </mod>

« Reply #308 on: 03 April, 2020, 08:17:08 am »

« Reply #309 on: 03 April, 2020, 02:41:32 pm »
Arctic-rated cruise liner 1 - 0 Venezuelan coastal patrol vessel

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-52151951
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #311 on: 07 April, 2020, 07:34:20 am »
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #312 on: 09 April, 2020, 09:30:33 am »
Kmart and Target stores in Australia have closed their changing rooms as part of social distancing measures but they're still open and selling clothes. So they're now having to tell customers not to try clothes on in the aisles.  ::-)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #313 on: 09 April, 2020, 11:02:45 am »
Kmart and Target stores in Australia have closed their changing rooms as part of social distancing measures but they're still open and selling clothes. So they're now having to tell customers not to try clothes on in the aisles.  ::-)

"Strewth!  There's a bloke down there with no strides on!"
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #315 on: 09 April, 2020, 06:14:52 pm »
Well now I know that "anti-G pants" are a thing and they're nothing to do with Borat. One to go with the wheel pants.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #316 on: 09 April, 2020, 06:55:29 pm »
Fly free, Gaston!
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/09/frenchman_ejected_fighter_jet_retirement_jolly/

Funny, I could have sworn I'd read about that mishap some time ago...

<reads article>

Ah, it was last March, but the report's only just been released.

I can imagine that a few people had interviews with their superiors sans café et croissants...

« Reply #317 on: 09 April, 2020, 09:16:37 pm »
Funny as hell, until you read the comments and get a picture of just how badly the victim could have been injured.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #318 on: 09 April, 2020, 10:10:44 pm »
Look up the first supersonic ejection, some seriously nasty potential injuries
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #319 on: 09 April, 2020, 11:03:37 pm »
As it wasn't an emergency ejection, the poor sod doesn't even get membership of the Martin-Baker Ejection Tie Club for his pains, so no complimentary tie, patch and certificate to commemorate the event for him. :demon:

http://martin-baker.com/ejection-tie-club/

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #320 on: 10 April, 2020, 12:14:58 pm »
When I was a tiny Mr Larrington we had a maths teacher who, having spent WW2 guarding tins of Spam at RAF Carnaby, considered himself the world's greatest expert on matters pertaining to military aviation.  One day he averred that "RAF pilots who eject twice are automatically grounded".  Young Nigel sticks his paw up.  "Please Sir, my Dad's ejected three times* and he's still flying!"

* once from a Jet Provost and twice from Jaguars
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #321 on: 14 April, 2020, 09:22:19 pm »
The Sunshine State decrees that full-contact vaudeville is an essential service.

Florida has ruled that WWE is an essential service, putting professional wrestling on an equal footing with hospitals, law enforcement and grocery stores.

WWE, which films shows and events at two locations in Florida, was initially shut down after Republican governor Ron DeSantis put the state under a shelter-in-place order during the Covid-19 pandemic. But Orange county mayor Jerry Demings said that after “some conversation” with DeSantis’s office, the decision was changed.

In an order signed on Thursday, the Florida Division of Emergency Management ruled that essential services now include “employees at a professional sports and media production with a national audience – including any athletes, entertainers, production team, executive team, media team and any others necessary to facilitate including services supporting such production – only if the location is closed to the general public”.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/apr/14/wwe-raw-florida-tv-shows-ron-desantis-wrestling-coronavirus

« Reply #322 on: 14 April, 2020, 09:30:47 pm »
When I was a tiny Mr Larrington we had a maths teacher who, having spent WW2 guarding tins of Spam at RAF Carnaby, considered himself the world's greatest expert on matters pertaining to military aviation.  One day he averred that "RAF pilots who eject twice are automatically grounded".  Young Nigel sticks his paw up.  "Please Sir, my Dad's ejected three times* and he's still flying!"

If you can find a copy "The Man In The Hot Seat" by Doddy Hay is worth a read.  Chief test pilot/crash test dummy for Martin-Baker. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #323 on: 14 April, 2020, 10:42:30 pm »

Bill Langworthy. I knew his brother, Dick, during the Falklands punch-up. He managed to bounce the one and only remaining Chinook (BN) off the sea one night and got away with it!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #324 on: 15 April, 2020, 06:35:17 am »

That is not dissimilar to an ex maths teacher of my own, who was an ex-pilot, early jet age and very easy to divert from sums to "tell us about when you were a pilot sir", such as ditching a vampire into the sea off Malaysia, or ejecting somewhere else hot.

His version was that after three ejections from the old bang seats you were not grounded, but moved to things without such seats.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens