Author Topic: Modern Life Is Rubbish (aka ‘Tech fails’)  (Read 10183 times)

Re: Modern Life Is Rubbish (aka ‘Tech fails’)
« Reply #75 on: 29 October, 2018, 09:58:54 pm »
As for the line by line address thing on web forms - many payment gateways insist on you sending the adress details that way. Of course, you could have a textarea and just split the string by line breaks, but as Bullet Tooth Tony once said - you are under estimating the predictabilty of stupidity. That would be an extremely unreliable way of getting the address. I've worked on many e-commerce sites and from experience, there are a lot of humans out there who inexplicably have the cash to purchase products online, but lack the ability to even get their own name right, let alone their address....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #76 on: 03 November, 2018, 10:19:17 am »
Re separate boxes for road, town etc, isn't that for data mining?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #77 on: 04 November, 2018, 11:59:20 pm »
Address forms that insist I must live in 'Avon' are  harmless but a bit shit, especially as there hasn't been such a county since about the same time there's been an internet.
you have moved to Cuba.
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #78 on: 05 November, 2018, 09:24:07 am »
Address forms that insist I must live in 'Avon' are  harmless but a bit shit, especially as there hasn't been such a county since about the same time there's been an internet.
you have moved to Cuba.
Are you havana laugh?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #79 on: 05 November, 2018, 10:17:58 am »
Oh, you don’t know about Cuba  ???
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #80 on: 05 November, 2018, 10:27:21 am »
Enough of your barbed'os comments! Today is 5th November, time for a guy ana firework.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #81 on: 05 November, 2018, 11:34:28 am »
I had to reboot Alexa this morning.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #82 on: 05 November, 2018, 01:03:19 pm »
I could help you with that - with the right shoes on.  :thumbsup:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #83 on: 07 November, 2018, 03:00:05 pm »
Talking of address forms on the web, I came across one the other day that refused to acknowledge my address because my house doesn’t have a number. Haven’t seen that glitch for some years. Used to be a regular occurrence though.

(Easily solved by making up a number - luckily such unsophisticated forms don’t usually have postcode checkers.)

I found one the other day that seemed to know the invented number was wrong, and wouldn't accept it.  So, if you know its wrong, why don't you know its not even supposed to be there at all?  Just to complicate matters, we don't even have a street.  Its house name, village, post town (which isn't a town, its a village), postcode.  Luckily there are only 3 houses in the postcode, but some companies haven't updated their databases for years, and they disagree with the Royal Mail database, which is correct, after we corrected it.  It previously had the correct name for our house, an Anglicisation of it (its in Wales, so the name is Welsh not English, OK) and some totally invented name that must have been misheard over the phone.  Now it just has the correct name, which at least has stopped TV licensing from chasing the occupants of the anglicised name house for a TV license for the house that doesn't exist.  I whinged at Santander for not updating the database promptly, and they gave me £60!
Wombat

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #84 on: 08 November, 2018, 06:27:15 am »
Credit card expired on Oyster for auto top up, so I changed it for a current one.

E-mail today
"We're sorry we couldn't remove auto top up from your account..."

WTF? It almost like they have a filter to invert anything you actually want.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens