Author Topic: Carbon frame cracked around seatpost  (Read 20517 times)

Re: Carbon frame cracked around seatpost
« Reply #50 on: 14 May, 2015, 12:23:08 pm »
I suspect that the main (or only) difference between cheaper unbranded Chinese carbon frames and the more expensive well known brands are the warranties (to justify the higher prices).

And on what evidence do you base that suspicion?

It is pretty well-documented that an open-mold frame is not necessarily the same between manufacturers. There are huge differences between ratios of carbon to resin and the quality of both ingredients. Not to mention quality control.

« Reply #51 on: 14 May, 2015, 01:36:19 pm »
I suspect that the main (or only) difference between cheaper unbranded Chinese carbon frames and the more expensive well known brands are the warranties (to justify the higher prices).

My Canyon has a 6 year warranty.  Six years - that's a long time for a bicycle frame, and longer than you get for some steel frames.
They also make frames for Pro Tour teams.  I'm pretty sure that they are very different from unbranded Chinese carbon frames.

The (stainless steel) moulds for Colnago frames are made in Italy and then shipped to Taiwan, so there is another difference to the open mould frames.

Cheap carbon frames compared to high end branded cf frames are like the difference between a fillet brazed steel 853 frame and a tig welded hi-ten gaspipe, in both materials and manufacturing methods.  Both are bike frames, though.

« Reply #52 on: 14 May, 2015, 01:56:42 pm »
Both Canyon and (all but the top model) Colnago are made by Giant.

I've got a range of CF frames at home, from the highest-end, to a cheapo Ribble Chinese job, with a giant, a Kinesis, and a Trek in between.

They are very far from being the same.

« Reply #53 on: 14 May, 2015, 02:12:38 pm »
The deed is done:

Just waiting on hearing about Jurek's seat post, if that's not a goer I'll take Biggsy's suggestion on the deda post.
Up the hills and round the bends

« Reply #54 on: 14 May, 2015, 02:41:09 pm »
Deda RSX02 ordered. Decided 10g was worth £1.50

« Reply #55 on: 14 May, 2015, 03:06:54 pm »
I've got a range of CF frames at home, from the highest-end, to a cheapo Ribble Chinese job, with a giant, a Kinesis, and a Trek in between.

Aren't Ribble made by Deda / Dedacciai?  If they are (and I think they are!), even they are a step above the really cheap carbon frames you get on eBay.  Of course, Deda carbon frames are not made by Deda in Italy but some sub-contractor in Taiwan or China (I don't know which sub-contractor, though).

« Reply #56 on: 14 May, 2015, 04:15:00 pm »

Aren't Ribble made by Deda / Dedacciai?  If they are (and I think they are!), even they are a step above the really cheap carbon frames you get on eBay.  Of course, Deda carbon frames are not made by Deda in Italy but some sub-contractor in Taiwan or China (I don't know which sub-contractor, though).

They certainly used to be made by Deda in the era of the Scuro, Nero etc, but I am not convinced they are still using Deda.  The build quality of my Ribble Sportive 365 isn't as good as the old Deda built stuff.   Besides, Deda are now quite interested in marketing their own high end frames.

« Reply #57 on: 14 May, 2015, 08:33:13 pm »
I consider that I've had my hands burnt with a cheap frame now.  Whatever the next frame I get is, it will be a higher quality one.

« Reply #58 on: 14 May, 2015, 08:39:57 pm »
The thing is you can pick up a carbon frame from Ribble of Planet X for about £350 these days.......with a meaningful warranty.

What did your Hongfu cost you (including customs)?

« Reply #59 on: 14 May, 2015, 08:48:33 pm »
It was about £330.  I did look at planet x at the time and they didn't have anything near that sort of range, save for a few end of line frames not in my sizes.  Carbon frame prices seem to have plummeted in the last year.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #60 on: 15 May, 2015, 01:07:49 am »
Besides, Deda are now quite interested in marketing their own high end frames.

I understand that one of the De Rosa models is actually a Deda, and not much of a secret.

Ribble have a very wide range of carbon frames now, even if some of them are Deda I doubt they'd all be.

« Reply #61 on: 21 May, 2015, 03:07:14 pm »
The repair has held up over 50 miles so far.  No creaking or other untoward noises.  Very happy with how it's turned out thus far.

Thanks for the advice everyone, it was very helpful.

Here's some photos of the repair:

« Reply #62 on: 26 May, 2015, 01:19:11 pm »
HongFu finally got back to me and offered a $100 refund towards getting it fixed.  I've accepted and they've paid. 

That at least covers my costs for the new seatpost and collar and is better than I was expecting.  Actually roughly on a par with what Cannondale were offering their customers who experienced similar frame issues.

So, all in all, I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

« Reply #63 on: 26 May, 2015, 02:12:00 pm »
$100 is probably a very good result given that the frame is still usable now that you have managed to repair it.  I was really expecting them to live up to the last bit of their name - F U.

« Reply #64 on: 26 May, 2015, 03:03:09 pm »
$100 is probably a very good result given that the frame is still usable now that you have managed to repair it.  I was really expecting them to live up to the last bit of their name - F U.

Yeah, I was expecting the same. I'd all but given up, happy just to have a usable frame.

It's a very reasonable resolution on their part, not bad customer services.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #65 on: 27 May, 2015, 09:52:07 am »
it's good to see they honour their warranty promise. reimbursing the repair costs is much better and convenient than requesting to send the frame to them "for inspection" as majority of big brands tend to ask (from what i read online).

« Reply #66 on: 27 May, 2015, 07:04:25 pm »
it's good to see they honour their warranty promise. reimbursing the repair costs is much better and convenient than requesting to send the frame to them "for inspection" as majority of big brands tend to ask (from what i read online).

They haven't honoured their warranty.

They've offered £60. That wouldn't even cover half of the repair.

« Reply #67 on: 28 May, 2015, 08:20:40 pm »

They haven't honoured their warranty.

They've offered £60. That wouldn't even cover half of the repair.

It would probably cover two or three repairs in China  ;)

« Reply #68 on: 28 May, 2015, 08:45:51 pm »
Or two or three whole frames.....

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #69 on: 28 May, 2015, 09:23:44 pm »
in an ideal world they would ship a new frame to you with next day delivery and pay your appointed (competent) bike shop to transfer components across to a new frame so you can ride your bike again within few days. only, how realistic is that and how many branded manufacturers offer such service? ::-)

« Reply #70 on: 29 May, 2015, 11:07:45 am »
I consider their resolution pretty reasonable really.  I didn't have to argue hard to get the offer, it was quite willingly given, although it did take a while.

Guarantee has been honoured in my view.

« Reply #71 on: 29 May, 2015, 11:15:10 am »
I'm not sure I agree. A honouring of the guarantee would have given you back a repaired frame, rather than an adapted frame. I don't think £65 would pay for the cost of a repair. However, I am pleased but surprised that they have offered any money at all, and I think it is commendable on their part.

I've only twice had a frame with problems, and that was a Planet X cheapo Kaffenback steel frame.  On the first frame I couldn't get a back wheel in with a 12t (or higher) smallest sprocket because there was no clearance. A whole batch had this fault. They replaced it at their expense, with a few freebies thrown in for my trouble.

The frame they replaced it with was the newer sand colour, and I bought a set of carbon canti forks for it (at reduced price again). There was an issue that was a bit more esoteric in that I felt that the steering was weird and the bike had something of a mind of its own.  They replaced it without quibble (although they did return it to a bike shop they used at the time before they had their own workshop, and the bikeshop agreed with my complaint)

They picked the bike frames up from me, and the replacements were delivered within two weeks.

« Reply #72 on: 29 May, 2015, 11:22:01 am »
I think a lot of it has to do with expectations.  I had low expectations, that were exceeded.  Had I bought a frame from a name manufacturer in this country then I would expect an awful lot more, as I would have paid a lot more with the expectation of greater come-back should something go wrong.

It's fortunate that I was able to repair it myself fairly easily, and that the sum offered covered all of my costs. 

Most of all I'm just glad to have a working bike at the end of it.

« Reply #73 on: 29 May, 2015, 11:28:00 am »
Guarantee has been honoured in my view.

I think a lot of it has to do with expectations.  I had low expectations, that were exceeded.

Most of all I'm just glad to have a working bike at the end of it.

So a happy chappy and surely that is all that matters.

« Reply #74 on: 29 May, 2015, 11:32:35 am »
I think a lot of it has to do with expectations.  I had low expectations, that were exceeded.  Had I bought a frame from a name manufacturer in this country then I would expect an awful lot more, as I would have paid a lot more with the expectation of greater come-back should something go wrong.

PX will do you a carbon frame for £250  ;)