Author Topic: Angle Grinder Recommendation  (Read 1345 times)

Angle Grinder Recommendation
« on: 12 May, 2020, 12:48:02 am »
Can any of you good people recommend a modestly priced angle grinder? Ideally less than £50. Only going to have occassional, relatively light use. Immediate job is cutting about 1 metre long, 5 cm deep into a hard yet brittle lime mortar floor. Would like to puchase from a bricks and mortar shop, Screwfix, B&Q etc. Thanks.

Re: Angle Grinder Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2020, 01:39:37 am »
I've long used Bosch angle grinders because they are well made (usually Swiss-made by Scintilla AG), you have a fighting chance of repairing them (spare parts are available) and their smaller grinders still accept 'proper' wheels with the large centre bore and M14 threaded spindle (which many other smaller grinders do not).

For at least two decades I have used three 'professional quality' Bosch angle grinders and they have been good. I've had to lubricate the gearboxes and one (which was mainly used for brushing) eventually suffered a failed tail bearing. Finally one motor burnt out. Each had done hundreds of hours of grinding, and some of them were bought used rather than new.

The professional quality grinders (e.g. Blue GWS models) have always had continuously rated motors, metal gearbox housing, and ball/roller bearings inside the gearbox which support the output shaft.  The 'hobby' ( e.g. Green coloured PWS models) have at different times variously had motors of different ratings, polymer gearbox housings, and the output shaft in the gearbox has had a different bearing configuration; most often a main ball bearing (as per the GWS models) and a plain bearing instead of a small roller bearing.

I bought a PWS-700 115 about a year ago and it has a continuously rated motor (I think), a metal gearbox housing and a ball/plain bearing setup on the output shaft. So it is very similar to the GWS model apart from the plain bearing in the gearbox.   I think this plain bearing is unlikely to cause problems in the short term and in the long term will only be a problem if I abuse the machine and I don't pay attention to regreasing the gearbox from time to time.

Although 115mm discs are specified for Bosch Grinders of this sort, I find that most 125mm dia discs (a very commonly available size)  will fit and work OK in these machines, albeit they have very little clearance to the guard when the discs are brand new. 125mm discs are much better value than 115mm discs because the small increase in diameter gives them nearly twice the useful life for jobs like cutting etc.

PWS-700 115 is available in most of the big DIY sheds and typically  costs £35-40 if you shop around (some places will price match). The GWS model costs about £20 more than this; if it were another £10 I'd spring for the GWS but where I'd steered clear of PWS models (with plastic gearbox housings) in the past  I have been happy so far with the one I bought, thus far. It is early days though; in another fifteen years I shall be able to tell you if it really was any good or not.

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2020, 07:04:13 am »
Yup. I use Makita or Bosch for work. Both were under £50 and more than ample for regular use so ample for DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2020, 07:45:53 am »
If you want to spend a little more Metabo are supposed to be one of the best. Their made in Germany ones are about £60-70 for a 115mm one dependant on what features you want (spanner less disk change etc. paddle switch etc). I'm trying to decide which Metabo to get to replace my ancient crappy small grinder. They have a safety clutch as well so that it wont kick back if it gets jammed. Watch out for the really cheap Metabo's though as they are made in China and not worth the £20 saving (different construction completely). Look at the W9-115 range. 
Bosch or Makita are good as well as others have said.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4 on: 12 May, 2020, 08:09:13 am »
On a related note anyone have any views on slide switch re paddle switch on angle grinders? I've only ever had slide switch ones but am wondering if paddle switches have any advantages or are just annoying?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #5 on: 12 May, 2020, 09:13:13 am »
On a related note anyone have any views on slide switch re paddle switch on angle grinders? I've only ever had slide switch ones but am wondering if paddle switches have any advantages or are just annoying?
Safer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #6 on: 12 May, 2020, 09:27:11 am »
A long time ago (about 35 years) I bought a Black and Decker grinder, which lasted ages and ages. Newer ones probably aren't made aswell though.
About five years ago I bought a Titan from Screwfix for twenty pounds in a sale. It's good, although heavier than most and is quite loud, but for general DIY it's plenty.
A year ago I bought a De Walt (£65) as I got tired of having to change the disc or brush (you always seem to have the wrong one on!). It's lighter than the Titan and noticeably quieter, until you start grinding of course. Also feels smoother.
For things like cup brushes it's worth buying decent quality ones, as the cheaper ones aren't as balanced and you can feel heavy vibration when using them. Same goes for discs, you don't want them breaking up while grinding.
I find grinders really useful, I don't know how anyone lives without one!

« Reply #7 on: 12 May, 2020, 09:56:20 am »

We've got a small "blue Bosch" one at work (except it's in my shed at the moment because I needed to borrow it) and it has a slide switch.  It is awful.  We bought this one new back in February and already the switch does not turn off easily.  I suspect a lot of grit has got under the slide part.  Hopefully we should be able to clean it out, but it should be better than that, after all these things are designed to work in a cloud of abrasive grit.

« Reply #8 on: 12 May, 2020, 10:25:16 am »
I've worn out multiple cheap grinders.

For a small bit of DIY, brands like Titan are fine (my SDS drill is quite good). For prolonged use, the vibration will damage your hands. White finger is no joke.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9 on: 12 May, 2020, 11:29:04 am »
re switches; the ones on Bosch grinders (which are push in then slide, a movement that latches 'off' safely and that you soon get used to even one-handed) work fine for me.

However  I did have a silly problem with a very well used Bosch grinder. IIRC the switch button has a long plastic rod that reaches to the back of the motor and works the switch proper; should the rear housing come adrift even slightly (it is held on with a single screw that can start to back out) then the switch can go intermittent.   On my most used grinder (veteran of brush and bearing swaps amongst other things) wear in the parts meant that the switch went intermittent even with the rear housing screwed down firmly.  IIRC I trimmed part of the housing so that it went on another mm or two and that fixed it. It took me a little while to figure out what was going on though!

FWIW if you are routinely getting enough debris in the switch to foul its movement, then it will be getting inside the motor too (bad). I'd suggest reviewing how the guards etc are set up so that this problem is reduced, else it can limit the life of the machine.

BTW the current Bosch (PWS/GWS) guard is a better design than the immediately preceding one, which had an overcentre flip catch on it. I'd describe this design as 'lethal' if it is used with some attachments like cup brushes; this pattern of guard is never fully tight such that it can't slowly slide off its mounting and tangle with the wheel. The usual outcome is that the guard starts doing about 10000 rpm, well off centre, before it is flung off violently at some speed.  If you have a flip catch guard, you are better off replacing it with the older pattern, which used a screw clamp to retain the guard; IME this is much less likely to come off. Sometimes simple is not only good, it is the best.

cheers

« Reply #10 on: 12 May, 2020, 12:20:15 pm »
Can any of you good people recommend a modestly priced angle grinder? Ideally less than £50. Only going to have occassional, relatively light use. Immediate job is cutting about 1 metre long, 5 cm deep into a hard yet brittle lime mortar floor. Would like to puchase from a bricks and mortar shop, Screwfix, B&Q etc. Thanks.

Light use?  I have two, Bosch and Ryobi.  Both do the job but ISTR the Bosch is nicer to use - it's not pro grade so wasn't massively expensive.

I have used it for all sorts of stuff, bricks, paving slabs, stone, steel rod and plate.  IME Ryobi stuff inevitably has a short life expectancy.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #11 on: 12 May, 2020, 03:01:12 pm »
Thanks for all your advice, I'll take a look at Bosch, Makita and Metabo. I've just remembered I have some credit at Screwfix so will look there first of all.