Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 345284 times)

Davef

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #925 on: 07 May, 2020, 02:15:13 pm »
I've been postponing my tile bagging recently, as round trips to the unexplored out reaches of my cluster are a tad on the long side.  Having failed to get OSMand mapping to display the VV helper app offline grid, I found a workaround - using the vv kml file (with unbagged tiles surrounding cluster) download, import in basecamp, save as a gpx, import into osmand and display the tiles (as a gpx).   :)  Though actually it's quite rare for me not to have some mobile data reception.
I like that idea. I might do that with my garmin.  A gpx file of the missing squares would be useful for manual routing. In the last week I have come across 2 closed bridleways - one for a building site and one because of covid19 and one closed pedestrian bridge over a river.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #926 on: 07 May, 2020, 02:17:54 pm »
Can you really close a bridleway because of covid19?

That sounds like someone is trying it on.

Davef

« Reply #927 on: 07 May, 2020, 02:27:18 pm »
Apparently where they go through gardens or farmyards and the occupants are self isolating.

« Reply #928 on: 07 May, 2020, 10:00:15 pm »
Hi fellow tile-baggers, I’m totally hooked on this. Headed out to bag 66 tiles tomorrow

« Reply #929 on: 08 May, 2020, 07:56:09 pm »
Hi fellow tile-baggers, I’m totally hooked on this. Headed out to bag 66 tiles tomorrow
...so 65 bagged today. The 66th shows different on Strava when compared to VV - VV has simplified the shape and cut off me dipping into the tile. Any ideas please people? Now I’ve updated in VV  an it be re-uploaded more thoroughly perhaps?

« Reply #930 on: 08 May, 2020, 08:01:56 pm »
Veloviewer initially uses a simplified version of your ride.  To get the full version just view the ride within Veloviewer then refresh the Summary page.

NB this will add tiles that you have visited but may also remove tiles that you think you have visited but haven't really! 

« Reply #931 on: 08 May, 2020, 08:56:46 pm »
Veloviewer initially uses a simplified version of your ride.  To get the full version just view the ride within Veloviewer then refresh the Summary page.

NB this will add tiles that you have visited but may also remove tiles that you think you have visited but haven't really!
It worked! Incredible, Big Thanks

« Reply #932 on: 08 May, 2020, 08:58:03 pm »
You can look at your Strava generated routes overlayed on an OS map within Veloviewer.  On the Routes tab filter by name to just select the route(s) you want and change the map to OS (UK Only).

Good tip that. Thanks!

Today I finally reached 50x50. Been taking advantage of the quiet roads to do a fair bit of riding in North London. Keep thinking "this is pleasant, but I bet it would be grim at normal traffic levels"

Fittingly there were hazards:

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #933 on: 11 May, 2020, 12:34:52 pm »
what have I done  :facepalm: Gulp
I thought it would be easier to post it on Ride Every Tile group on Strava.
https://www.strava.com/clubs/279168/posts/9531104

Unlike you MrSloth I just can't face Metropolis  ::-)

« Reply #934 on: 11 May, 2020, 01:09:37 pm »
what have I done  :facepalm: Gulp
I thought it would be easier to post it on Ride Every Tile group on Strava.
https://www.strava.com/clubs/279168/posts/9531104

Unlike you MrSloth I just can't face Metropolis  ::-)

Respect Jack, it must have been a quite a decision to "erase" previous gains.

I like your ethos. I think that's exactly what it should be:
Not chasing some computer generated number just for the sake of climbing a leaderboard, but actually going out and exploring new places.

Regardless of any tiles, I still always look to find new trails and roads to ride (as no doubt most of us do). The ones that are right on your doorstep that you didn't know about are often the sweetest. 

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #935 on: 11 May, 2020, 01:24:04 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I will still chase that top number for brand new tiles visited worldwide, when allowed. Defended with pride even if it is mainly due to me being an early Garmin/Strava adopter  ;D

« Reply #936 on: 11 May, 2020, 01:40:46 pm »
Friday's Bank Holiday, meant a day off work.
I headed up the Tweed Valley and into Cardrona Forest on my Gravel Bike, before descending to Peebles down the Gypsy Glen.

Saturday was an out and back to Carter Bar, picking up a few rogue tiles along the way

Sunday was aborted after 30k due to drinking from a damp glass the previous night

So +13 tiles takes me to 9996
Max square is still 17x17
+10 Max Cluster 661 
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #937 on: 11 May, 2020, 08:46:20 pm »
Finally, got my square up to 40x40. And it was the most perfect bike ride around the moonscapes of Swaledale. Bit of hail up Melbecks, glorious sunshine by the afternoon. No one around but me and the ghosts of the lead miners.

« Reply #938 on: 11 May, 2020, 08:49:44 pm »
Due to the Corona border closures I'm back at working at my year square. And that indeed brings me to some beautiful area's in my own area. And interesting experiences as being stuck behind the sheep at the natural area's directly next to Geilenkirchen air base. A huge contrast.

Ben T

« Reply #939 on: 12 May, 2020, 11:10:23 am »
Struggled getting a tile yesterday that is basically just farm, no roads in it.
Ended up in the farmyard unable to get through a locked gate to the road, with no choice but to turn back across the bumpy fields. Was only a few hundred yards from Roseland business park, but no way through.
In the farmyard there were some goats and turkeys, but then there was a dead cow in a digger bucket. Disturbing.
Saw lots of hares though.
Hopefully there aren't many more like that.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #940 on: 12 May, 2020, 03:49:42 pm »
I went to the SE corner of my 28x28 Square to clear a blockage, 6 tiles taken but for the 7th I walked into a rape field, left my bike hidden 20m in because it was hard going and jogged a further 40m in to be sure of getting the tile. Then after retrieving my bike and on my way I realised I'd left my GPS systems on the bike!  :o

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #941 on: 12 May, 2020, 03:56:54 pm »
I went to the SE corner of my 28x28 Square to clear a blockage, 6 tiles taken but for the 7th I walked into a rape field, left my bike hidden 20m in because it was hard going and jogged a further 40m in to be sure of getting the tile. Then after retrieving my bike and on my way I realised I'd left my GPS systems on the bike!  :o

*applauds*

There are two types of tile hunters, those who have done the above, and those that will...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #942 on: 12 May, 2020, 04:33:37 pm »
Having realized that veloviewer only costs a tenner, I'm slowly discovering that living on a peninsula is rather restrictive, and that other nearby options for bigger squares are going to need a lot of off piste mtbing... so I ticked the hike/run box.

There's a fair few holes to get, locally though and a good chuck of roads I can get.
https://veloviewer.com/athlete/1170821/activities

« Reply #943 on: 12 May, 2020, 06:37:35 pm »
Hi, I'm new to this forum having found out about it from the recent Audax survey.

I read this thread and although I'm late to the party the idea of collecting tiles has put a gleam in my eye and a smile on my face  :)

Checking on Veloviewer I'm starting with a meager 8x8 max square and 380 max cluster, so on the plus side I've plenty of tiles to go at.

I'm much more of a reader than a poster and I've read loads of useful stuff on here (Explorer helper/OSMand/Ride Every Tile) thanks for all that info and so my tile bagging starts.

« Reply #944 on: 13 May, 2020, 09:33:16 am »
Hi, I'm new to this forum having found out about it from the recent Audax survey.

I read this thread and although I'm late to the party the idea of collecting tiles has put a gleam in my eye and a smile on my face  :)

Checking on Veloviewer I'm starting with a meager 8x8 max square and 380 max cluster, so on the plus side I've plenty of tiles to go at.

I'm much more of a reader than a poster and I've read loads of useful stuff on here (Explorer helper/OSMand/Ride Every Tile) thanks for all that info and so my tile bagging starts.

Looks like there's plenty of scope to increase those numbers pretty quickly. Enjoy!  :)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #945 on: 13 May, 2020, 12:35:04 pm »

Welcome to the madhouse.
:)

« Reply #946 on: 13 May, 2020, 06:20:47 pm »

Looks like there's plenty of scope to increase those numbers pretty quickly. Enjoy!  :)

Welcome to the madhouse.
:)

Thanks, I picked off 6 new tiles today and got my square up to 11x11, this is going to be fun  ;D

Davef

VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #947 on: 13 May, 2020, 10:30:11 pm »
I am 10 tiles away from 40x40. It will take me 3 x 100km rides to get those 10, when I will take a break from max square and start joining up bit. One more ride and my connected set will go from Oxford to Cambridge. Then I plan to connect to London, and longer term Bristol. After that back to the square.

Ben T

« Reply #948 on: 13 May, 2020, 10:57:16 pm »
Bollocks. There's one centred about here   https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/53.0844/-0.6934 that I physically cannot get, given that I would prefer not to be shot.

« Reply #949 on: 13 May, 2020, 11:05:13 pm »
Just wait till the flags are down and go for it, Ben.