Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 343328 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1000 on: 18 May, 2020, 02:12:42 pm »
In tilebagging news, I've finally sucked it up and ridden some of those horrible bits of the Black Country I'd been avoiding.  I now have a max square of 17, awaiting easy expansion by filling in some odd gaps.

« Reply #1001 on: 18 May, 2020, 03:47:46 pm »
Climbing to the top of a mountain (unaided of course) and wingsuit flying down (and over an otherwise inaccessible area) would be a similar conundrum.

Seems about at legit as cycling:  Human power, gravity, wind.

It was more about being able to cover otherwise inaccessible squares by flying over them rather than touching the surface of the earth at that point (as you do by cycling, albeit indirectly, walking, running, swimming, kayaking, etc).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Davef

« Reply #1002 on: 18 May, 2020, 07:34:42 pm »
Climbing to the top of a mountain (unaided of course) and wingsuit flying down (and over an otherwise inaccessible area) would be a similar conundrum.

Seems about at legit as cycling:  Human power, gravity, wind.

It was more about being able to cover otherwise inaccessible squares by flying over them rather than touching the surface of the earth at that point (as you do by cycling, albeit indirectly, walking, running, swimming, kayaking, etc).
As many of the inaccessible tiles seem to be RAF bases I can see it not ending well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #1003 on: 19 May, 2020, 12:00:32 am »
In tilebagging news, I've finally sucked it up and ridden some of those horrible bits of the Black Country I'd been avoiding.  I now have a max square of 17, awaiting easy expansion by filling in some odd gaps.
with grey pays and bacon ;)?
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1004 on: 19 May, 2020, 05:31:19 am »
Stupid basic question - is a square 1km wide or 1 mile wide?

I am at 30x30 since the beginning of 2019 but am pretty much stuck now due to military bases at two corners of my square.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1005 on: 19 May, 2020, 06:02:00 am »
From https://blog.veloviewer.com/veloviewer-explorer-score-and-max-square/

The squares themselves are based around the standard OpenStreetMap map tile 256x256px image at a zoom level of 14

The physical size of the tiles varies with latitude but round here they are about 1.5*1.5km.

« Reply #1006 on: 19 May, 2020, 08:35:06 am »
RideWithGPS have implemented a new auto 'spur removal' feature. I've tested it a bit and it appears to just remove short spurs automatically, not longer ones. For those who use this tool for planning square bagging rides, that'll be something to watch out for.

It's a pity there isn't an option to switch the spur removal feature off, but I guess for the vast majority of users those spurs are unintentional.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #1007 on: 19 May, 2020, 10:34:10 am »
RideWithGPS have implemented a new auto 'spur removal' feature. I've tested it a bit and it appears to just remove short spurs automatically, not longer ones. For those who use this tool for planning square bagging rides, that'll be something to watch out for.

It's a pity there isn't an option to switch the spur removal feature off, but I guess for the vast majority of users those spurs are unintentional.
I use the Strava planner, especially since you get the veloviewer plugin
https://blog.veloviewer.com/veloviewer-chrome-extension-for-strava-website/

« Reply #1008 on: 19 May, 2020, 11:33:08 am »
RwGPS provides an OS map view, which I find helpful when determining access rights. All depends on what area you are riding in as to how useful that is, and your mapping tool preference.

« Reply #1009 on: 19 May, 2020, 11:40:07 am »
RwGPS provides an OS map view, which I find helpful when determining access rights. All depends on what area you are riding in as to how useful that is, and your mapping tool preference.

Does it?

What - real Ordnance Survey?

How do I find that?

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1010 on: 19 May, 2020, 11:45:00 am »
Yes, it's one of the map selections in the planner.

Edit: correction, it's not. It's there somewhere though!

TimC

« Reply #1011 on: 19 May, 2020, 11:50:03 am »
And now, having said that, I can't find it! But I know I was looking at an OS map on it very recently. I'll keep looking.

Davef

« Reply #1012 on: 19 May, 2020, 12:01:08 pm »
And now, having said that, I can't find it! But I know I was looking at an OS map on it very recently. I'll keep looking.
There is one in veloviewer.

TimC

« Reply #1013 on: 19 May, 2020, 12:21:32 pm »
That'll be it!!

« Reply #1014 on: 19 May, 2020, 12:30:41 pm »
But as far as I am aware you cannot plan routes in Veloviewer.

TimC

« Reply #1015 on: 19 May, 2020, 12:37:58 pm »
No, sorry - I think for that you'd need the OS app.

« Reply #1016 on: 19 May, 2020, 12:54:28 pm »
RwGPS provides an OS map view

Doh! Sorry, didn't engage brain. Was thinking VeloViewer. I switch between the normal view and OS Map in VeloViewer when planning a tile collecting route, and plot the route in RwGPS alongside.

« Reply #1017 on: 19 May, 2020, 04:41:00 pm »

I use the Strava planner, especially since you get the veloviewer plugin
https://blog.veloviewer.com/veloviewer-chrome-extension-for-strava-website/

Strava route building is now only available for paid subscribers.

Davef

« Reply #1018 on: 19 May, 2020, 09:38:47 pm »
I think that will be the case when the new planner comes out. I am still using the route planner and have not paid.

« Reply #1019 on: 20 May, 2020, 09:22:29 pm »
It looks like Strava has deployed an update to the route creation tool  ...and the Veloviewer Chrome plugin doesn't appear to work anymore.
Anybody else see anything different?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1020 on: 20 May, 2020, 09:28:31 pm »
It looks like Strava has deployed an update to the route creation tool  ...and the Veloviewer Chrome plugin doesn't appear to work anymore.

I am hoping that the author of the VV plugin will update it for the new route planner. I'll give it a week or 3 before I worry about alternatives.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #1021 on: 20 May, 2020, 09:43:49 pm »
Perhaps also if a bunch of people email RWGPS support and request a VV route planning grid, they may seize an opportunity...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1022 on: 20 May, 2020, 10:04:32 pm »

I am hoping that the author of the VV plugin will update it for the new route planner. I'll give it a week or 3 before I worry about alternatives.

J

VV posted thusly on Facebook:

Quote from: VeloViewer
A quick note on the Explorer Tile overlay (via the Chrome Extension) in the new Strava Route Builder. I've taken a look at the new Route Builder's code/DOM and can't at the moment see a way to overlay the Explorer Tile info. If there are any Javascript Guru's out there (I'm experienced enough to know how average I am at actual coding!) who are willing to take a look then please get in touch. These browser extensions really are a hack and the previous tile overlay was one of the biggest, nastiest hacks I've had to do! I'm not optimistic to find a way to get that to work again unfortunately.
Thanks to all of you that continue to support VeloViewer, it is very much appreciated.

« Reply #1023 on: 20 May, 2020, 10:40:41 pm »
What we really need is for VeloViewer to do a route planning tool!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1024 on: 20 May, 2020, 11:07:16 pm »
What we really need is for VeloViewer to do a route planning tool!

Or... a VeloViewer for another service that has a decent route builder.
I've been using the VV activity map in OS mode and matching it to an OSM view in RWGPS, has worked well enough so far.