Author Topic: Trans Alba Race  (Read 38062 times)

Re: Trans Alba Race
« Reply #25 on: 02 July, 2019, 02:36:26 pm »
Day one report here:
https://www.transalbarace.com/post/trans-alba-race-report-day-one?fbclid=IwAR0X2ISbGKUMYasx_OJeeP4ImTCiggcvUYdMIaZg2eY0JvSe7m9SFK2xxXs

The person in 2nd place is a woman (Nicky Shaw). A few other women racing (not that you can filter for them, which is annoying).

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #26 on: 02 July, 2019, 09:51:13 pm »
Steve A now at the University of Stac,
Nicky appears to have had a run in with the free kirk minister in Scourie around tea time allowing Andrew Hutchinson to catch up, passing the end of the free kirk road now.

Tom LEeuvwen is now at Durness, just ahead of a bunch of riders who have either just escaped Loch Orrible or are enjoying it's delights.

At the back, Alexander Junkov appears to have taken lodgings in Braemar late this afternoon, and the MacMahon's earlier than that at Spittal of Glenshee.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #27 on: 02 July, 2019, 10:11:04 pm »
Turns out it's not a run in with the free kirk at all and in fact is an interesting glamping pod in the form of the crystal dome.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #28 on: 02 July, 2019, 10:31:51 pm »
Phenomenal riding from Steve Abraham. He's almost in Ullapool.
Embrace your inner Fred.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #29 on: 03 July, 2019, 08:16:48 am »
Incredibly, Steve Abraham is now past the half way point after only 47 hours.
Nicky Shaw not far behind. If they keep this up, they'll both be back in Edinburgh within a couple of days. However they do have three ferries to catch before then, so that may slow them down.

The back markers seem to be extending their sojourn in the Cairngorms. If they finish, it will be very full value ride for them.
Embrace your inner Fred.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #30 on: 03 July, 2019, 10:30:03 am »
Looks like the McMahons have heading in opposite directions, Cary carrying on Charlie heading back to Perth(?)
9 and 10 looks interesting too

essexian

« Reply #31 on: 03 July, 2019, 04:09:59 pm »
I might be wrong but it looks like Steve Abraham has around 3 hours to do approx 38 miles to get to the ferry port on Skye in time for the last sailing of the day (19.10).

Some 2 000m worth of climbing over this distance so may be tight......

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #32 on: 03 July, 2019, 05:30:15 pm »
I might be wrong but it looks like Steve Abraham has around 3 hours to do approx 38 miles to get to the ferry port on Skye in time for the last sailing of the day (19.10).

Some 2 000m worth of climbing over this distance so may be tight......

He's over the Skye bridge, with less than 20 miles to the ferry port. So he could make it. If he does, his lead will be unassailable; if not, he'll lose his lead as the others will catch him at the port.

Dramatic!
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #33 on: 03 July, 2019, 05:44:54 pm »
If he makes it he'll be stuck about 60 km later waiting for the Tobermory ferry tomorrow. His current advantage over 2nd place is about 75 km, so it's not that dramatic a change. It should close up the race for second place though.

It'll be interesting to see how many make the third (Oban) ferry before it shuts tomorrow.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #34 on: 03 July, 2019, 06:19:39 pm »
Looks like ~5km to go  :thumbsup:

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #35 on: 03 July, 2019, 06:24:47 pm »

Aren't the map markers in miles though?  It's a 1000 mile race according to the blurb on the front page and the map markers stop at 1000.  Still nearly there mind.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #36 on: 03 July, 2019, 06:33:55 pm »
Aren't the map markers in miles though?  It's a 1000 mile race according to the blurb on the front page and the map markers stop at 1000.  Still nearly there mind.

Comparing distances between towns with GMaps, it turns out they are in miles... which is confusing because the map scale is in km.  :-\

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #37 on: 03 July, 2019, 06:40:42 pm »
If he makes it he'll be stuck about 60 km later waiting for the Tobermory ferry tomorrow.

Sure, but he may finally be able to get some sleep in Mallaig, and will be on the first ferry tomorrow. He'll be done with ferries tomorrow and on his way to the vicinity of Glasgow.

Looks like he will make the ferry by the way. Come on Steve!

I note that three riders have dropped out of the event. Also 9 and 10 who had so much trouble yesterday, are making decent progress today.
Embrace your inner Fred.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #38 on: 03 July, 2019, 06:48:47 pm »
It seems that Mr Abraham is at the ferry terminal. :D
Embrace your inner Fred.

Phil W

« Reply #39 on: 03 July, 2019, 06:59:12 pm »
It seems that Mr Abraham is at the ferry terminal. :D

Perfect timing. I've no doubt he was aware of the last ferry sailing today.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #40 on: 03 July, 2019, 07:32:49 pm »
Steve is on the ferry.  :thumbsup:
Embrace your inner Fred.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #41 on: 03 July, 2019, 07:38:08 pm »

I just default to proper units  :)

Phil W

« Reply #42 on: 03 July, 2019, 08:02:30 pm »
In the morning Steve will be able to get moving 50 mins before the chase group, due to ferry timings. Plus they have a second ferry to wait for and catch.  So he should gain an extra 1.5 hours of ride time over the chase group tomorrow, after a decent sleep.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #43 on: 03 July, 2019, 08:43:34 pm »

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #44 on: 03 July, 2019, 08:45:12 pm »
Looks like he's tried both hostels, both tricky to get in as they often have block bookings from boat crews, the Mission is particularly bad for that, Iv'e been there will all beds sold and only 5 guests present.

Though it looks like he's stopping, It's 100kmish down to Kilcohan and the ferry waiting room is likely to be open all night and warm.
First ferry from Kilchoan is at 0800; allow 4 hours for the 100km and he'd need to be away from Mallaig by 4am to catch that; he could open up a massive gap over Nicky tomorrow.
Earliest she can get to Mallaig is 0925 if she cracks on from shieldaig tonight, and even then that's Kilchoan for the 1345 ferry which is cancelled...

Bit of disruption on route the next few days
Thursday 4th July
The 1300 sailing departing Tobermory & the 1345 sailing departing Kilchoan are cancelled

Friday 5th July
The 1300 sailing will be brought forward departing Tobermory at 1230 and returning from Kilchoan at 1315.
The 1430 sailing from Tobermory and 1515 sailing from Kilchoan are cancelled

Saturday 6th July
The 1430 sailing from Tobermory and the 1515 sailing from Kilchoan are cancelled

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #45 on: 03 July, 2019, 09:28:18 pm »
Steve A's on his way south again, see where he gets to tonight!
And Nicky has just been passed by Donald Munro in Shieldaig if her tracker is to be believed (not updated since 5pm)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #46 on: 03 July, 2019, 10:29:36 pm »
Teethgridner is almost at Lochailort just over 640mi....
The 3 riders behind him are all at Shieldaig at 535mi.

:o :o :o :o

« Reply #47 on: 03 July, 2019, 10:34:01 pm »
2 of the three are at the Tigh an Eilean hotel- a very understandable idea - stayed there a month ago and the restaurant was superb.  I'd think they'd want a rest and a good feed before tackling the coastal route to Applecross (I found that harder than the Bealach)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #48 on: 03 July, 2019, 10:44:18 pm »
2 of the three are at the Tigh an Eilean hotel- a very understandable idea - stayed there a month ago and the restaurant was superb.  I'd think they'd want a rest and a good feed before tackling the coastal route to Applecross (I found that harder than the Bealach)

Yeah I ate there while camping above the village once for the Bealach Beag; at least with the Bealach you know it's a big up and down... The coast road is unrelenting.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #49 on: 03 July, 2019, 11:46:08 pm »
Steve's tracker hasn't updated for half an hour. Do they stop updating when stationary? Street view shows a bijou Audax hotel just near where his dot is, so he might be having a kip.  I see the rules say  riders must stick to the GPX route, but just a 100m or so from his location, up a side road, is an inn. The deviation would be a short "there and back". Is such a thing allowed?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)