Author Topic: LEJOG: 03-08 JULY 2022  (Read 88438 times)

Re: LEJOG: 26 - 31 JULY 2020
« Reply #125 on: 13 March, 2020, 03:46:56 pm »
Looks like Loganair are stopping the Wick to Edinburgh flight at the end of this month.

« Reply #126 on: 18 March, 2020, 07:14:46 pm »
Hate to mention it but Coronavid19 how is this going to play out or too soon to say
Thank You

« Reply #127 on: 18 March, 2020, 08:09:45 pm »
I would be amazed if anything runs before October  unfortunately all the experts think its going to 6 months. Minimum! !

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #128 on: 18 March, 2020, 08:11:31 pm »
I would be amazed if anything runs before October  unfortunately all the experts think its going to 6 months. Minimum! !

TbH, I'm expecting the whole year to be a write off :(

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #129 on: 18 March, 2020, 08:37:17 pm »
Q, i think your right, spent all day deciding what to do about my events!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #130 on: 18 March, 2020, 10:44:08 pm »
Q, i think your right, spent all day deciding what to do about my events!

Even when events can be run again, people are going to be trying to run all the postponed events at the same time on the same very small selection of available dates.

If stuff happens it's a bonus, but I'm kinda assuming that nothing will happen this year.

This is going to effect things far and wide.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #131 on: 19 March, 2020, 11:05:06 am »
A shame but I'm also expecting a total cancelation, certainly would be a different ride with less daylight of Autumn.
The seed has been set though and I am still keen on doing a LeJog of some form this Summer.

can this even happen in 2021 with LEL running?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #132 on: 19 March, 2020, 03:21:43 pm »
While cancellation is possible, the ride is still over 4 months away.  The IOC still think they will be holding the Olympics at that time which is probably less likely add it requires the situation to be under control in all countries not just this one.

While I would not be surprised if it does have to be cancelled I am bit giving up hope just yet. See what the picture looks like at the start of June.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #133 on: 20 March, 2020, 09:07:59 am »
Good morning all!

Firstly, I'd like to offer my condolences to anyone who's lost loved ones during the Covid 19 pandemic. I'd also like to take the opportunity to thank those AUK members working for the emergency services around the clock for us all this last few weeks during the dreadful Covid 19 outbreak.

Obviously, we've seen the Covid-19 outbreak have an impact on sporting events worldwide which might or might not have an impact on the LEJOG event. As you're all probably aware, AUK has temporarily suspended all future AUK events indefinitely due to the COVID 19 outbreak. The AUK board are going to review the situation at their next board meeting in late April, but they've also advised organisers not to cancel their events at the moment for logistical reasons.

As the LEJOG isn't due to take place before late July there's unlikely to be any further movement with the event physically or financially before the
April board meeting, other than myself continuing to build the event in the hope that the situation improves before the Summer and the event will go ahead as planned, although event entry has been restricted for now. In the meantime, entrants will continue to receive bi-monthly updates (next update due in April). If or whenever it becomes apparent that the LEJOG has to be postponed; cancelled etc then a range of options will need to be explored.

However, this is a rapidly escalating pandemic and actions, including government sanctions can be implemented at a moment's notice that have implications for everyone.

Andy Corless
Organiser
LEJOG AUDAX 2020

« Reply #134 on: 03 April, 2020, 12:46:39 am »
Hi everyone. Just registered now as I think my situation is a bit dire. Hopefully someone might be able to advise how I could contact Andy as my email doesn't seem to have gotten through from laat week. I'm really hoping he is ok...

I'm Shafiq and an ICU nurse in Yokshire and part of the Brothers on Bikes cycling crew. I've been following this thread ever since a few of us registered for the event a few months ago (I think it was early January) but as soon as we started getting told and learning about the WuhanNovel I already had in the back of my mind about extra precautions and what would happened to our lovely event (the LeJOG). Then eventually the above message came from Andy on here and then the email that he was planning to continue building the event...

By this point I was pretty certain (from following Italy as did many) that it probably would have to be cancelled as it wouldn't be safe. I advised whoever would listen of my friends and not get annoyed at me. Then eventually when we got 'the talking to' from our manager that its gonna be a difficult few months I emailed Andy to see if I could cancel (I understand that it was a noCancellation policy and fully prepared to lose my money).

However, since my email there was no response which made me wonder for his safety and/or whether my email got through. As times have gotten slowly worse for us on the ICUs across the country I have recently decided to try and sell things off (fundraiser can be found on BearbonesBikepackingForum) to try and support my colleagues with extra/adequate presonal protective equipment. Today I've just put an order through for some respirators for us to use and mostly funded by the nice people on the BB forum as well as some mates from our cycling club (BoB cc) and I've also decided to fund one of my own. Thats what has brought me here...

I wonder whether anyone knows if Andy is ok and whether or not there will be any refunds taking place as after paying for the quipment I'm gonna be slightly out of pocket and hoped I might be able to get a refund or parital refund or even an update.

Dont take this the wrong way please. I'm not trying to break rule #1 and nor am I asking for any handouts from anyone. Just hoping someone might be here that has direct access to Andy and know if hes ok and whether or not there is any chsnce I might be able to approach him to try and arrange a partial (half or quarter or even a 3rd as I understand these things aren't cheapt to put together and the rules were obviously clear on 'no refunds'...

Thanks very much and I do hope noone takes offence at my sudden post that might even sound like a rant!... I alsi do hooe this will not  cause any grievance in any other way to anyone else including Andy...

I come in peace. Just trying to get a little update on if anythings happeneing and/or advice

« Reply #135 on: 03 April, 2020, 12:53:08 am »
NB. If anyone thinks my post wasn't observing rule #1 (dont be a ...) then feel free to PM and I'm happy to delete and just wait to see when Andy manages to cstch up. Apologies in advance

« Reply #136 on: 03 April, 2020, 07:28:47 am »
I don’t think anybody will take offence. If they do ignore the. 
I too do not think that we will see audax rides this season.

« Reply #137 on: 03 April, 2020, 10:06:09 am »
I'm actually worried if it DOES go ahead now as I won't have done any 300, 400, 600 as build-up training!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #138 on: 03 April, 2020, 10:50:58 am »
I'm actually worried if it DOES go ahead now as I won't have done any 300, 400, 600 as build-up training!
I doubt this will happen.  I think for it to go ahead restrictions will need to be eased by end of June possibly giving time for some last minute ramping up.

But it will Neff more than restriction reading for the ride to go ahead,  I don't see any viable exit strategy in place by July.
1 vaccine, al Ralph of a vaccine is it being at leafy a year away
2 eradication of the virus nationally,  seems unlikely especially with birds still open
3 testing that shows 60% have already had it and the mortality rate was significantly lower than thought all along.  (The condemned herd immunity)
I can see a case where infections are low and testing and tracking is viable to contain outbreaks,  this will allow return to somewhat more normal life with twith some restriction,
 but a group of 200 people riding the length of the country would be less than ideal if the aim is to stop the virus spreading from one area to another

LMT

« Reply #139 on: 03 April, 2020, 10:53:43 am »

Has training indoors or cycling outside been banned?

« Reply #140 on: 03 April, 2020, 11:01:10 am »

Has training indoors or cycling outside been banned?

I am training indoors in the way I normally would. But I wouldn't normally be doing 600s before such an event.
I am not going to do a 24+ hour ride on my turbo trainer!
Let's not start the outdoor ride argument that has been prevalent on the Facebook groups. Rides outside are restricted to reasonable outdoor exercise starting from your home depending on level of fitness. It is left that vague, but I don't think multiple 24+ hour rides as training is in the spirit of these restrictions!

« Reply #141 on: 03 April, 2020, 11:24:13 am »
Answering/advising @Redefined_cycles (and thanks for your service on the front line).
I think Andy made it clear that he awaits AudaxUK's board meeting where they're going to review the situation "in late April, but they've also advised organisers not to cancel their events [scheduled after end June?] at the moment for logistical reasons."
So I suggest he'll send out an e-mail (which will effectively answer your question) thereafter.
Some organisers have the time and inclination to answer all the e-mails they receive. Others, less so, and particularly if there's no substantive answer to give.
This country (UK) will either have seen the peak by late April or it won't. And the exit route is not clear and depends on how things go.
This will include whether long rides (as opposed to daily exercise) are acceptable, either alone or in groups. I note the Deloitte 'Ride Across Britain' site has no revised announcement, and that's 1000+ all camping together and pissing up in the evenings after a short daily ride. But it is scheduled for September and costs £1899 - still taking entries  ::-).

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #142 on: 03 April, 2020, 02:12:32 pm »
They might still be accepting entries,  I doubt anyone is placing any.

Phil W

« Reply #143 on: 03 April, 2020, 04:37:02 pm »

In 2018 I didn’t ride above 220km ahead of the West Highland 1000.  It wasn’t the plan but due to a frame breaking and other matters that’s how it ended up.  It was fine, and I didn’t even do it on my own bike.  So as long as you can get the shorter harder rides in your fitness will be fine.  It’s just the routine of audax and what you carry overnight that’ll be rusty.

« Reply #144 on: 03 April, 2020, 06:23:57 pm »
Answering/advising @Redefined_cycles (and thanks for your service on the front line).
I think Andy made it clear that he awaits AudaxUK's board meeting where they're going to review the situation "in late April, but they've also advised organisers not to cancel their events [scheduled after end June?] at the moment for logistical reasons."
So I suggest he'll send out an e-mail (which will effectively answer your question) thereafter.
Some organisers have the time and inclination to answer all the e-mails they receive. Others, less so, and particularly if there's no substantive answer to give.
This country (UK) will either have seen the peak by late April or it won't. And the exit route is not clear and depends on how things go.
This will include whether long rides (as opposed to daily exercise) are acceptable, either alone or in groups. I note the Deloitte 'Ride Across Britain' site has no revised announcement, and that's 1000+ all camping together and pissing up in the evenings after a short daily ride. But it is scheduled for September and costs £1899 - still taking entries  ::-).

Thanks very much for that comprehensive response... Makes sense totally... I shall await that said meeting... Thanks and I'm now at ease....

« Reply #145 on: 04 April, 2020, 02:00:14 pm »
I'm thankful for the discussion here, as it confirms my hunch that this ride is unlikely to come off.  I'm writing from the states, and observing that your buffoon-in-office has been only marginally more competent than our buffoon-in-office.  It is hard to imagine that international travel will be possible in July.

Personally, I don't care very much about the refund, as it was to be a small part of the expense anyway.  I wonder if it would make sense to delay the ride to the summer of 2021.  Of course, it could not conflict with LEL, but Danial has mentioned the possibility that that ride might also need to be delayed a year.

I hope that everyone in this list is doing well.  While I was looking forward to this ride, recent events have put it in perspective--health, family, national well being, social order and the preservation of something like democracy seem far more important concerns at the moment.

Best wishes,
Bill Watts
Indiana, USA
Bill Watts

« Reply #146 on: 30 April, 2020, 05:53:46 pm »
Does anyone know the status of this event?  I had understood that this would be determined at an Audax UK board meeting in April, but I haven't heard any news from that meeting.  I don't expect that the news can be good, but, as I would have to book a trans-Atlantic flight, it would be helpful to know if this has been decided.

Bill Watts
USA
Bill Watts

LMT

« Reply #147 on: 30 April, 2020, 08:08:12 pm »
Does anyone know the status of this event?  I had understood that this would be determined at an Audax UK board meeting in April, but I haven't heard any news from that meeting.  I don't expect that the news can be good, but, as I would have to book a trans-Atlantic flight, it would be helpful to know if this has been decided.

Bill Watts
USA

Hi Bill

The board did meet and the suspension was upheld to carry on subject to future Government guidelines with respect to social distancing and group activities.

Our next brief over here in the UK on what the Government is going to do is the 7th of May, up until that point we still are in lockdown.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #148 on: 01 May, 2020, 11:16:49 am »
I think your bigger problem  will be the policies of UK and USA allowing people into the country from other countries with high infection rates.

While there may be potential for a return to audax by end of July  an event where 300 people will be meeting each night in a bunk house seems higher risk than most.

« Reply #149 on: 02 May, 2020, 11:03:44 am »
Our next brief over here in the UK on what the Government is going to do is the 7th of May, up until that point we still are in lockdown.

Have you set a date at which you'd be postponing/cancelling if the lockdown hasn't been lifted by then? I'm in a similar position re flights and it'd be good to know how last minute a last minute booking would have to be.