Author Topic: BHPC racing  (Read 59624 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
BHPC racing
« on: 16 September, 2019, 07:02:02 am »
Just a heads up, there will be a round of BHPC racing at Gravesend Cyclopark, on Sat21 and Sun 22 September. Up the road from me so may pop along.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: BHPC racing
« Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2019, 07:22:12 am »
Have you seen the current state of play, as shown on this table?

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/Data/Sites/1/media/events/events19/tables19.html

See how many times the Red Baron is at or near the top of the various classes.

Go Kim. <high five>
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 16 September, 2019, 08:30:29 am »
Have you seen the current state of play, as shown on this table?

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/Data/Sites/1/media/events/events19/tables19.html

See how many times the Red Baron is at or near the top of the various classes.

Go Kim. <high five>
How can the Red Baron be both part-faired and unfaired at the same time? Their scoring system is a wonder of geekery. But top in 3 categories – wow!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2019, 01:12:05 pm »
How can the Red Baron be both part-faired and unfaired at the same time?

Categories overlap as they become more restrictive.  So, to attempt an ASCII venn-diagram:

(Open (Part-faired (Unfaired)))

A velomobile would only count as Open, but the Red Baron counts as all three.  The idea being to give those on less expensively aero machines / women / juniors / those using spare wheels etc. some fair competition.

Further confusion or possibly enlightenment may be found at http://www.bhpc.org.uk/how-to-race-with-bhpc.aspx

Their scoring system is a wonder of geekery. But top in 3 categories – wow!

Actually four.  But since nearly all[1] the women racing this year have been using unfaired machines, the Ladies Part Faired category is currently a bit redundant .  Similar story with Street and Sports[2], which appear to have deteriorated into me attempting to get the edge on John Lucian (who is frustratingly faster than me) with superior turning-up tactics.  (If anybody spots him at Gravesend, feel free to let his tyres down  ;))

Anyway, I now have control of the timing system[3].  Muhahaha.

[1] IIRC Magda Williams hoovered up some points in a Quest at Hillingdon.
[2] At last year's AGM it was suggested that the trophy for Sports should go to whoever was able to explain the difference between Sports and Street.  Or possibly the other way round.
[3] It was suffering from a b0rked cable.  Is now working.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4 on: 16 September, 2019, 01:33:05 pm »
[2] At last year's AGM it was suggested that the trophy for Sports should go to whoever was able to explain the difference between Sports and Street.  Or possibly the other way round.
That's easy. Sports is just another category, whereas Street is a category people* don't see because they think "Surely that must be it?"

*Exact number to be determined but more than zero.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: BHPC racing - Gravesend 21/22 September 2019
« Reply #5 on: 16 September, 2019, 01:38:44 pm »
Anyway, more details of the coming weekend here and here:

Details for The Gravesend racing on the Saturday are:

we have the lower 2 circuits of the track (click to see pic) booked from 12-4pm

Sign-on starts ~11am

Race formats (split into Fast and Slow groups depending on numbers)
10min + 1 lap
20 min + 1 Lap
30 min + 1 Lap

The two race circuits can be used in a number of different combinations/directions, which can be decided on the day.

Details for The Gravesend racing on the Sunday are:

we have the lower 2 circuits of the track (click to see pic) booked from 10-3 pm

Sign-on starts ~9:30am

Race format (split into Fast and Slow groups depending on numbers)
2 hrs
The track is booked for 5 hrs to accommodate both a fast and a slow 2hr race, (but if numbers allow all to run in one race it could be increased to 3 hrs, or do an all-in 2hr race followed by another shorter race format to get full value for money from the track)

To recycle the content of a previous post:
  • It's a race.
  • ...But nobody takes things too seriously, and there are plenty of slower riders (often on Mildly Inappropriate Bikes) doing it purely for fun.
  • Spectators encouraged.  If you've not witnessed the top end of the fully-faired class rumbling round the track at speeds in excess of R17, it's well worth it.  Bring a brolly or similar if it's looking pish or scorchio, and something to sit on might be a good idea.
  • You can ride anything that's:
       a) Human-powered
       b) Has a brake
       c) No sticky-out sharp bits (chiefly unguarded chainrings on SWB/Tadpole recumbents).
    (More detail here.)
  • Magic hats compulsory, yes even for those in velomobiles.  It's an in-sewer-ants thing.  (Gloves, elbow pads and mirrors are not compulsory, but considered a Good Idea when racing recumbents.)
  • 10-16 year olds can compete as Juniors.  IIRC they need a parent/guardian to sign them in or something.
  • Races are usually split into a Fast Group and a Slow Group.  This doesn't mean anything in competition terms (the timings all get aggregated), but limits the speed/experience differential on the track for safety.  The fast race is usually comprised of streamliners, velomobiles, faster riders on part-faired/un-faired recumbents, and the one person who knows how to set up the timing computer[1].  Upwrongs, newbies, juniors and most of the unfaired 'bents go in the slow group by default.
  • It's going to be a criterium[2] race.  Unless it's something else.
  • Sign-on from 11:00/09:30.  £7 for BHPC members, £10 for non-members.  Look for someone with a tablet computer and a moneybox, *not* the people who look like they know what they're doing setting up timing equipment on the track.  If in doubt, ask.
  • Actual racing starts about an hour after sign-on.
  • Points mean, erm, complicated maths.  Results will be uploaded to the BHPC website when the relevant people get round to processing the data, which may take a while if they're loitering within tent.  Ladies and Juniors will do well by simply turning up.

[1]  O:-)
[2] Translation for non-sportsists:  Go as fast as you can, and when someone rings a bell, it's nearly over so go a bit faster.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 16 September, 2019, 01:51:36 pm »
I’m hoping to be there (on upright trike, so a mobile chicane for some) but have a flight to catch Sunday evening, so must keep rubber side down.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 16 September, 2019, 03:06:08 pm »
Sorry, gang, can't make this one coz I only get back from USAnia on the 21st and will be dead to the world on the 22nd.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 16 September, 2019, 04:39:56 pm »
Sorry, gang, can't make this one coz I only get back from USAnia on the 21st and will be dead to the world on the 22nd.

Perhaps a 2D Mr Larrington would work?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9 on: 17 September, 2019, 08:18:49 am »

Does the 3D Mr Larrington work? You’re destroying my imaginings.  :o
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #10 on: 18 September, 2019, 03:27:46 pm »

Probably better than 2D Thomas, who is currently MIA but presumed buried under the Teetering Piles of CrapTM in the back of my grate frends Al'n'Alice's minivan.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #11 on: 18 September, 2019, 09:06:11 pm »
But since nearly all the women racing this year have been using unfaired machines, the Ladies Part Faired category is currently a bit redundant.

My Quest doesn't get out much beyond my 10-mile commute.  They maybe ought to rename the racing arm of the BHPC the EHPC, on account of other countries' inability to construct more than one decent circuit, and unwillingness to travel north of Lancaster.  :(
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 20 September, 2019, 05:11:39 pm »
I have assembled a pile of Stuffs, including such essentials as The Red Baron; a tent; bike shoes; magic hat; an assortment of reverse-polarity anbaric string and timing equipment; some flags; 2D Mr Larrington; sixteen Earth Pounds (property of Teh Treasurer); gaffer tape; cable ties and a several of changes of cycling clothing that I won't be too upset about if it gets shredded in a crash.  I've also charged various batteries and persuaded The Worst[1] Windows Tablet Ever Made™ that its Office 365 licence is still valid[2].

Later on this evening I will be celebrating the climate strike by hiring a car.   :(

And attempting to fit all the above into it at Audax o'clock tomorrow morning before going to participate in a traffic jam on The Road To Hell.

[1] For some inexplicable reason the Mega-Global Beige Box Corporation of Round Rock, USAnia decided that it didn't need a Devil's Radio, and for good measure put the charging socket right up alongside the USB port to inhibit the protracted use of dongles.  This is probably why it now does sign-on duty for the BHPC, rather than assisting with Thought Leadership or whatever.
[2] So as not to repeat the connect-me-to-the-interwebs sulk that it went into at dePreston when tasked with signing on riders.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13 on: 20 September, 2019, 05:47:37 pm »
You’ve forgotten the WD40. Armageddon is bound to occur if y;u don’t back WD40.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #14 on: 20 September, 2019, 06:45:39 pm »
I shall be there , spectatoring, on Sat,  prob around lunch time, wearing something inconspicuous.. :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 20 September, 2019, 11:42:52 pm »
Later on this evening I will be celebrating the climate strike by hiring a car.   :(

Car collected, and a large quantity of avian and tree detritus scraped from the windscreen, with a view to seeing where I'm going rather than where the birdlife of Birmingham has been going.

Leafy side-streets aren't perhaps the best place for car club cars to reside.

« Reply #16 on: 21 September, 2019, 12:17:46 am »
Don't forget your hairnet.....and your trousers...  ;)       Be careful & have fun. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #17 on: 21 September, 2019, 05:46:13 pm »
What a most excellent afternoons'  entertainment, got to meet Kim, and Littlewheelsandbig OTP,  had a go on a Bachetta Corsa, and a Ken Rodgers trike, the later was FAR more scary than the former. Top stuff! ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 22 September, 2019, 10:40:04 pm »
Well that was exhausting (and I mostly don't mean the Rushing About)...

I've uploaded the electronic timing system results: See the relevant BHPC forum threads for details.  Official results to come later, pending the decryption of various scrawled-on pieces of paper.

Due to the generally high disorganisation level, 2D Mr Larrington only came out in his official capacity as RFID system diagnostic tool[1].  Here he is looking after all the kit on the way home:

[1] I've stuck a tag with EPC 0xdead-beef to the back of him.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #19 on: 23 September, 2019, 09:43:18 pm »
Is that a copy of Russ Bridge's sketch of me being Mr Mardypants at the BM Awards Bash?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 23 September, 2019, 11:06:17 pm »
Is that a copy of Russ Bridge's sketch of me being Mr Mardypants at the BM Awards Bash?

It is indeed.   :thumbsup:

I've spent a productive couple of hours fabricating consolidating timing data.  Saturday's results are mostly sorted.  Sunday's results have a big gap in them, because Neil Hood's infernal combustion engine has less stamina than a teenager on a KMX with about ten minutes of prior recumbent-riding experience.  (This is conclusively Not My Fault, because I was too busy riding my bicycle to notice the suspicious silence and the RFID box of blinkenlights being deprived of vital anbarism.)

In the best spirit of Strava or it didn't happen, we're trying to reconstruct the missing lap counts from GPS data and such, so if anyone has useful insights like "My Garmin says 45 laps and I still couldn't keep up with John Lucian", please let us know.

Otherwise we'll write off the gap and process it at two separate races, which would be suboptimal for those who put on a tremendous burst of speed in the second half.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #21 on: 29 September, 2019, 09:05:07 am »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 04 October, 2019, 05:43:08 pm »
Results from Gravesend are finally up:
Saturday
Sunday

Updated points table.

Meanwhile, there's more racing this Sunday at Stourport Sports Club (near Kidderminster).  Sign-on from 10am.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23 on: 04 October, 2019, 05:54:45 pm »
I admire Rebecca Sparey-Taylor's pragmatic bike naming scheme.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 04 October, 2019, 06:05:41 pm »
I admire Rebecca Sparey-Taylor's pragmatic bike naming scheme.

You do get some interesting bike names, even without resorting to TS Eliot.  Some of this has to do with people turning up for the first time, being asked the name of their bike at sign-on, and making up random stuff in the spur of the moment so as not to delay the queueueueue.  Typos, minor variations, and the name of a completely different bike that TEH SPREADSHEET OV DOOM thinks they used last time are also popular options.