Author Topic: Mid-Essex and the Rest of the World Epiphany - 2023 edition  (Read 26386 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Mid-Essex and the Rest of the World Epiphany - Saturday 8th January 2022
« Reply #75 on: 07 December, 2021, 01:56:17 pm »
And the Bury Lane ford in Great Waltham's a near-miss on your route: I've had an off there last year, and years ago, a spectacular whizz through at speed one cold but dry winter's morning, when I realised at the last minute that the approach was icy from vehicles dripping as they exited. No option but to avoid steering and braking - and still not sure how I stayed upright. I think I'll take the cautious old man's option of the footbridge in future.

That's my famous one!
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #76 on: 07 December, 2021, 02:08:44 pm »
ROUTE AMENDED to include some ford action, thanks josse  :thumbsup:

For those who are not planning to ride standard bikes, I note that the barrier at 1.4km is going to be problematic. So I'll probably need to miss that section and regroup at 2.1km.

I'm not sure where the ford is. How accessible is the footbridge?

For the Chelmsford cycle paths, I think they all use bollards to limit access, which will be fine.

You'll be fine with that there's a barrier but a wide side part to it as the barrier is now in a hedge!  The only pictures I have of the ford are in the dark, but the footbridge is on the left as you come down.

It's not a very clown bike friendly route at the moment, but if you are doing it on Penelope then I might give it a go.

How did we make it over to Butts Green last time?

Meadgate Ave is awful esp the bit near Longfield (rows of parked cars and oncoming white van man) - we could use the route we used last time and collect Cpt Slow on route - there's even an Alpine pass climb we could use!

Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #77 on: 07 December, 2021, 02:10:37 pm »
And the Bury Lane ford in Great Waltham's a near-miss on your route: I've had an off there last year, and years ago, a spectacular whizz through at speed one cold but dry winter's morning, when I realised at the last minute that the approach was icy from vehicles dripping as they exited. No option but to avoid steering and braking - and still not sure how I stayed upright. I think I'll take the cautious old man's option of the footbridge in future.

That's my famous one!

I've amended the RwGPS route again.  jibers I suggest you bring your trunks and a towel as there are now now two swimming opportunities  :thumbsup:

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #78 on: 07 December, 2021, 02:31:43 pm »
ROUTE AMENDED to include some ford action, thanks josse  :thumbsup:

For those who are not planning to ride standard bikes, I note that the barrier at 1.4km is going to be problematic. So I'll probably need to miss that section and regroup at 2.1km.

I'm not sure where the ford is. How accessible is the footbridge?

For the Chelmsford cycle paths, I think they all use bollards to limit access, which will be fine.

You'll be fine with that there's a barrier but a wide side part to it as the barrier is now in a hedge!  The only pictures I have of the ford are in the dark, but the footbridge is on the left as you come down.

It's not a very clown bike friendly route at the moment, but if you are doing it on Penelope then I might give it a go.

How did we make it over to Butts Green last time?

Meadgate Ave is awful esp the bit near Longfield (rows of parked cars and oncoming white van man) - we could use the route we used last time and collect Cpt Slow on route - there's even an Alpine pass climb we could use!

We got to Butts Green via Slough Road, Bicknacre and East Hanningfield.
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #79 on: 08 December, 2021, 10:47:30 am »
I've seen details of your bike ride cafe crawl, and have concocted a plan to ride over to Littley green instead and take the train home afterwards, but as far as I can tell from my train research I can put bikes on most trains from Chelmsford to London, but not the ones that originate in Norwich as those require a reservation. So how do I know which ones are OK? or are the rules not as rigorously enforced in Chelmsford as they are at Liverpool street?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #80 on: 08 December, 2021, 11:14:48 am »
I've seen details of your bike ride cafe crawl, and have concocted a plan to ride over to Littley green instead and take the train home afterwards, but as far as I can tell from my train research I can put bikes on most trains from Chelmsford to London, but not the ones that originate in Norwich as those require a reservation. So how do I know which ones are OK? or are the rules not as rigorously enforced in Chelmsford as they are at Liverpool street?

If there's buffet car listed, it's a Norwich train for sure. I guess you can trace the train's route backwards to its origin, but I've never tried that - I'll take pot-luck as they're along fairly frequently. The 'right' ones are suburban commuter-type, not proper-looking ones with guards compartment. A railway expert will be along in a bit with chapter and verse, no doubt.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #81 on: 11 December, 2021, 11:06:35 am »
Hello you lovely, lovely people. 

An important part of Epiphany is the awarding of the coveted Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series Award.  If you receive this award it's fair to say that you have topped out, you have achieved everything you will ever achieve in life, nothing you do in the future will ever better receiving the MEMWNS Award.

Here is what it looks like at the moment, sorry its a shit photo...

Should you win the Award the rulz state you have to add a little something to it which is personal to your good self.  It is also required that the Award is proudly displayed in such a position in your house that all can see and admire it.  In the past the partners of some recipients have said such things as "You're putting that heap of crap on the fucking mantlepiece!"  Should this happen to you please refer your partner to a MEMWNS Elder, we have re-training programme, the problem will go away quickly and permanently.  I should add that the Award has holes in its base which can be used to screw it to a mantlepiece.

Anyhow, the time has come for you to send your nominations for the 2022 winner to BFC who is the current holder.  The current holder, BFC, is entirely responsible who 2022 holder should be, he can even give the ward to himself.  You may nominate yourself, you may offer bribes and other inducements to BFC, your nominations can be as elaborate as you like.  There's also no need to stick to the truth, lies, mis-information and fanciful notions are perfectly acceptable.

BFC will announce his decision and handover the Award during the evening segment of our Epiphany event.

Thank you for your time  :-*

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #82 on: 20 December, 2021, 10:45:48 am »
Interested

Oscar's dad

bloomers100

Oscar's dad

« Reply #85 on: 20 December, 2021, 12:44:57 pm »
I've added you tot he list.  There MUST be snuff but it isn't compulsory!

bloomers100

« Reply #86 on: 20 December, 2021, 12:45:44 pm »
I was only recently saying to Hon Sec at a High Sherrif's garden party that it would be nice to go back to his club. Rah!

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #87 on: 31 December, 2021, 10:47:26 pm »
Happy New Year guys!

I am going to aim to meet you all at the Compasses for some dinner and the awards  :)
ACME - Suffolk Branch

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #88 on: 02 January, 2022, 09:26:38 am »
 :thumbsup: All set? I'll be doing some bike decoration soon and sorting out the camping gear, plus the medals and trophy side of things.

Just to re-emphasise: ALL WELCOME, regardless of ACME membership, SR status and so on. The camping isn't compulsory! Having checked out the Compasses tent, it's reasonably warm and draught-proof (but you'll probably need your Big Lockdown Coat) and should fit in many more than the Green Room. I hope there will be no more surprise government rules this week, but obviously a lateral flow test on the day would be a good idea ...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #89 on: 02 January, 2022, 09:30:55 am »
I shall be putting the icing and cherry on the plan next t week.  The biggest question mark is over lunch, I'm still not sure we're booked in at ted's club so another Chelmsford location might be required.  Keep your eyes on this thread.

« Reply #90 on: 02 January, 2022, 04:17:48 pm »
Ooh goody. My work trip to forrin' places has been pushed back a wee bit. Frees up Saturday. Please can I join for lunch, beer, dinner snuff and everyfink? But not camping, I'm no masochist (said no audaxer, ever).
Might see if the kids fancy sprucing up the bike with lights and stuff.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

Oscar's dad

« Reply #91 on: 02 January, 2022, 04:24:43 pm »
Ooh goody. My work trip to forrin' places has been pushed back a wee bit. Frees up Saturday. Please can I join for lunch, beer, dinner snuff and everyfink? But not camping, I'm no masochist (said no audaxer, ever).
Might see if the kids fancy sprucing up the bike with lights and stuff.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #92 on: 02 January, 2022, 04:29:22 pm »
In isolation at present (for the 2nd time over Christmas!) Should be out in time for Sat but doubt I'll camp. I was thinking of booking a room but website says its full so might just ride home later.

Thanks for the route, OD - I reckon I'll meet you at the Butts Green garden centre if that suits you?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #93 on: 02 January, 2022, 04:34:32 pm »
In isolation at present (for the 2nd time over Christmas!) Should be out in time for Sat but doubt I'll camp. I was thinking of booking at room but website says its full so might just ride home later.

Thanks for the route, OD - I reckon I'll meet you at the Butts Green garden centre if that suits you?

No problem!

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #94 on: 03 January, 2022, 11:21:31 am »
Shall be there x
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

« Reply #95 on: 03 January, 2022, 06:34:02 pm »
I'm in for a scan on the ticker on Saturday morning so not sure of exact plans, I think to be safe I'll just aim for the Compasses in the evening.....but who knows what might happen by Saturday!
I'm trying to get back into Social Interactions after becoming a very miserable bugger last year so be gentle if I turn up....oh, and I'm off the booze...so a right laugh ;D

« Reply #96 on: 03 January, 2022, 09:20:31 pm »
I'm up for a Spoons start, cafe and lunch. Then probably make my way home....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #97 on: 04 January, 2022, 07:46:23 am »
I'm hoping to make some organisational progress today...

felstedrider

« Reply #98 on: 04 January, 2022, 10:17:03 am »
I'll join in the evening, probably accompanied by family.   This means I might end up driving even though it's 3 miles door-to-door.

I do have a 10k at 9:00 Sunday morning.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #99 on: 04 January, 2022, 10:41:37 am »
I’ve managed to pick up covid, so I’m an unknown for Saturday now.