Author Topic: N+1  (Read 3537 times)

N+1
« on: 15 October, 2020, 05:32:40 pm »
And it's not a Brompton! I don't know if it's any good but it looks worth the paltry sum I paid for it (and I can justify the bike 'cos I'm tired of walking to fetch or return company cars).

Re: N+1
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2020, 06:49:09 pm »
Fold looks like a dahon design. Sure you’ll have fun on it.

« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2020, 07:01:18 pm »
It's called a Montana Nodo. Aluminium frame, rack, mudguards, proper cast alloy brakes (not chinese tinplate ones) and genuine Shimano gears (only TY20 but that's a step up from some cheap folders). Tyres are 47-406 Kendas so room to fit more interesting rubber. 300€ down from 400€ to clear it in my LBS, they'd ordered it for someone who didn't turn up to collect. Folders aren't their thing, more mtbs with and without electric assist and maintaining the racing fraternity (got lots of interesting cross tubs in the shop at present, evidently Limousin hasn't yet given up on tubs!)

If there is a weak point it will be the latches, we'll see how that goes. Turning a 40 min walk into a 10 min ride will be well worth it.

Edit even the bungie on the rack was included!

« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2020, 08:11:59 pm »
Nice!

Beware those folding pedals last about 3 minutes before the bearings go bad (IME).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2020, 08:58:23 pm »
Beware those folding pedals last about 3 minutes before the bearings go bad (IME).

I was going to say...

(If the bearings don't go bad, they'll probably fall to bits, like nearly every folding pedal I've ever owned.)

« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2020, 10:37:46 pm »
nearly every folding pedal

What were the exceptions?

« Reply #6 on: 15 October, 2020, 10:53:36 pm »

I was going to say...

(If the bearings don't go bad, they'll probably fall to bits, like nearly every folding pedal I've ever owned.)

I live in a more bearing friendly climate than you do, probably. However, yes the pedals are plastic and it would be reasonable to assume that they won't live to a ripe old age. I am sure this question has been asked, probably in the Knowledge section but what would be sensible folding pedals to replace them with?

I had a try out on it going to the committee meeting this evening. Not geared high enough for fast rolling road, whips along very nicely and isn't too bad going up hill either, although there a lower gear might be better. I think at some point my 13-34 Megarange freewheel will be put back on the road. Is 4 bar too high a pressure for a 47-406?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 15 October, 2020, 11:04:25 pm »
I think at some point my 13-34 Megarange freewheel will be put back on the road.

I put one of those on the folding BSO I had when I lived in That London.  It would do awesome wheelies with a bit of weight on the rear rack.   :thumbsup:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8 on: 16 October, 2020, 12:29:14 pm »
what would be sensible folding pedals to replace them with?

When the folding pedal went on my Brompton, I replaced it with a non-folding one...

There are also removable pedals, using the MKS EZY quick-release system. I've had limited experience of using these, and they're fine, but I don't know if they're any more durable long-term than folding pedals. SJS have a good selection that might be worth looking at though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9 on: 16 October, 2020, 02:23:35 pm »
Airnimal flog QR pedals with their bikes, didn't go for them as I'm not commuting, but they had a coupel of different varieties
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #10 on: 16 October, 2020, 02:33:48 pm »
I've never had a problem with Brompton folding pedals, but I appear to be the only one. People who customise their Bromptons like MKS removable pedals.

My Original Bickerton came with a special left pedal with a sliding spanner attached to the inside edge. Sliding it engaged with the axle flats and then you could use the pedal body as a handle to unscrew the pedal. Alas the bearings were totally loose and the whole lot was riveted together and unserviceable, so it had to come off.

« Reply #11 on: 16 October, 2020, 02:38:43 pm »
I use Ti Workshop's removeable ones on mine.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #12 on: 16 October, 2020, 03:44:03 pm »

Just had a look at the price of those...  :o
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13 on: 16 October, 2020, 04:01:52 pm »
HK uses Wellgo QRD pedals (flat, SPD and Keo variants) because they are compatible with her existing pedal systems. MKS doesn’t use an SPD-compatible cleat. The bearings wear after a few years as do the interfaces between pedal axle and crank socket, so excessive play forces retirement eventually.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 16 October, 2020, 05:41:18 pm »
^ I went with QRD for the same reason.  And the older MKS design available at the time seemed faffier (with a clip thing that you no longer need in the newer models).

« Reply #15 on: 16 October, 2020, 06:01:26 pm »

Just had a look at the price of those...  :o
Where my Brommie is concerned, it would've been more cost-effective to buy a yacht and keep it moored in Monaco for a couple of seasons  ...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16 on: 16 October, 2020, 10:34:05 pm »
I've got a Trek rebadged from a Dahon. The folding pedals on that seem fine, although it doesn't do high mileages.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #17 on: 21 October, 2020, 09:18:46 pm »
Bit of an update: It folds small enough to go in the vehicles it has to go in; the Clio is fine 'cos the boot is empty (although the boot cover needs to come off, not the end of the world); the Caddy is a tight fit  ::-) , the boss insists on storing loads of junk in his boot, leaving not much space for useful stuff (fridges, cookers, folding bikes) but it goes in without damaging anything. So a win on that front!

I did some researching on the web. Montana are italian, have a big catalogue of utility and sport machines but only one folder - which suggests that they outsource just to fill a hole in the range. The current folder has a slightly different frame design  https://www.montanabike.com/catalogo/consumer/s320-twist-6v-revo/  but is otherwise similarly specced to mine and a similar price point. Montana also seem to be sponsoring two amateur squads  and a Continental tour team so not quite a budget importer.

Mine lacks gearing (46t chainring where a 52 would not be out of place), needs an additional spacer under the folding stem because there doesn't seem to be the play necessary to preload the headset properly (they cut the forktube to match the spacer stack almost exactly, a 5mm spacer added should solve that one) and I need to gain a couple of cms on the saddle height which hopefully I can achieve by changing the clip and putting on a sprung leather saddle. After that handlebar ends, the change of pedals that seems likely to come and we are starting to get close to a useful tool for doing things other than what it was bought for.

So far I'm happy with it!!