Author Topic: Riding a brompton  (Read 4902 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Riding a brompton
« on: 09 November, 2020, 10:13:41 am »
So I finally got around to riding a brompton. I am using it as a kickstart into riding without assistance and its easier just to roll out of the house, as the bike lives in the hallway.

For pootling around town, using quiet roads and the myriad of small passageways around Ruislip, its great. Also I just step out for a quick 20 mins, wearing just my normal clothing, which is useful especially if I am taking a quick break from homeworking.  Hopefully it will be used as much once the novelty factor wears off!

Its also feels livelier than I expected and even if I have to do a quick pavement detour (from the very busy roads), its easier to just hop on and off.

So a thumbs up for now.

Re: Riding a brompton
« Reply #1 on: 09 November, 2020, 12:42:47 pm »
Which one did you get and how much did it cost?

« Reply #2 on: 09 November, 2020, 01:35:06 pm »
If you fit a loaded bag to the luggage block on the front, stability becomes much improved.

velosam

« Reply #3 on: 09 November, 2020, 01:39:44 pm »
Which one did you get and how much did it cost?

Its a M6, but its borrowed not mine and its very nice. I am just grateful to have it to use without the commitment of having to buy one. Trying to rid of a few bikes.

Took me awhile to understand the gears and the fold! I was surprised how small it folds, especially with folding pedal.

I dont have a bag, as its just for pottering  around. Also, I am not leaving it anywhere, as its not mine and I don't want any chance of it getting nicked. So I just ride around and bring it straight home, where it lives in the hallway. lol

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4 on: 09 November, 2020, 06:36:45 pm »
Watch how big a kerb you are hopping up and down from - I am given to understand it can stress the rear hinge and lead to premature failure/replacement  :)
Regards,

Joergen

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 09 November, 2020, 07:00:31 pm »
Tip: If you're used to riding a diamond frame bike .... don't let go of the bars when stopped and standing with your feet on the ground and expect the bike to be supported by your thighs . . . the Brommie will fall over  :hand:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 09 November, 2020, 08:03:37 pm »
Tip: If you're used to riding a diamond frame bike .... don't let go of the bars when stopped and standing with your feet on the ground and expect the bike to be supported by your thighs . . . the Brommie will fall over  :hand:

I do this with tedious irregularity.

« Reply #7 on: 09 November, 2020, 08:09:59 pm »
Must say I do like Bromptons but can't justify the cost these days.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: 09 November, 2020, 08:18:52 pm »

I've been doing the same with the Dahon.

That or jumping everytime I take the front bag off and the bike tips from centrestand and front wheel to stand and back wheel. Every damn time I think it's falling over and make a mad grab/flail for the handlebars.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9 on: 09 November, 2020, 08:41:57 pm »

BTDTGTTS

However, that's not as embarrassing as riding away from the pub on a busy summer's evening, with crowds of people supping outside and watching one's departure, thus witnessing one's collapse as one belatedly realises one hadn't properly secured the central hinge...

Its also feels livelier than I expected

I find this is a major benefit when weaving through London traffic.

Stick with it, you'll be riding no-handed soon enough.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #10 on: 10 November, 2020, 12:12:01 am »

This becomes a safety feature should the bike become less-than-upright* while riding, as you can stay vertical.

(* for example, through an ill-advised ford with a slippery bottom, not that I've ever done this)

velosam

« Reply #11 on: 10 November, 2020, 09:31:20 am »
I have not dared tried the no hands yet as the front wobbles a bit.  Havent jumped off kerbs I just use the dropped kerbs as there are drives everywhere. Bit anxious about some of the ruts in the road, as they seem ideally sized to fit the front wheel!

On the plus side, its really easy to get through all the barriers in place.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12 on: 10 November, 2020, 11:11:33 am »

When we go to see our grandson I take the Brommie to riding with and he always reminds me . . .  and he always lets me win the race on the final 1/2 mile to the cafe as he knows I'll buy the ice-cream.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #13 on: 10 November, 2020, 01:25:57 pm »

Have never done that, and it didn't take a while to figure out what happened.

« Reply #14 on: 10 November, 2020, 08:25:00 pm »
I had a Brompton about 10 years ago to use for Bikeability training; it was convenient to be able to jump on the tube in peak hours to get to and from assignments.

I never enjoyed riding it. Being used to Moultons, I found the lack of front suspension on a high pressure small wheel a real handicap, through having to keep one eye permanently on the road surface to avoid any imperfections, of which there were plenty.

Did enjoy demonstrating the "transformer" capability to the kids though!

« Reply #15 on: 12 November, 2020, 09:32:14 pm »
"Its also feels livelier than I expected and even if I have to do a quick pavement detour (from the very busy roads), its easier to just hop on and off."

Rode a Brompton from Kings X to Chas. Roberts, Croydon and back some years ago.  On the way back traffic was gridlocked due to an incident.  In Trafalgar Square it was wall-to-wall buses.  Thanks to all that my Brompton was the fastest thing on the road (and pavement where appropriate).  Very enjoyable. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #16 on: 12 November, 2020, 10:11:40 pm »
Beware potholes  :hand:  Cat had a meeting with one in Wantage; result trip to A&E with blue flashing lights and 12 months off and on work before the NHS worked out what she had damaged in her knee. The Brommie needed a bit of surgical intervention as well, she assures me it is now right.

I rode her Brommie and was unimpressed (which makes me an exception to the rule I know). My Montana, while inferior in a lot of respects (and 1/4 of the price) is a much nicer ride with 20" wheels and still very nippy. If I could justify the expense my first choice would be a Tern of some description (but I also don't need the qualities for which the Brompton excells).

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #17 on: 13 November, 2020, 02:48:20 pm »
I'm no fan of the ride, but that's not why I bought it, and I'm still using it (now and again) 12 years on. It's great for those multi-modal journeys or just if you need to store it somewhere cramped.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 13 November, 2020, 07:27:17 pm »
Quite, Bromptons aren't especially fun to ride (though I think the S-type is an improvement over the M in this respect - still dog slow, but it handles better), but that's not really what they're for.  They're about BloodyTrains and never having to lock your bike up unattended and nipping thorugh traffic and such.  A typical 20" Dahon or similar gives a much better ride, but sacrifices the convenience of the Brompton fold.

With such small wheels, potholes are a much greater liability than the tyre width might suggest.

velosam

« Reply #19 on: 16 November, 2020, 05:35:17 pm »
Hmm discovered that on the uneven pavements as I was trying to dodge some large puddles.

However for a 20-30min ride around the neighbourhood, enjoying some parks, it’s just more enjoyable than a bigger bike and I feel less intimidating than on a larger bike. I also tend to ride much more sedately as nothing in it encourages speed.   The quick steering makes sure I have my wits around me.
 I also tend to just unfold, jump on, ride, fold and don’t need to think about it too much.

So still in the honeymoon period.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #20 on: 26 November, 2020, 04:54:53 pm »
Quite, Bromptons aren't especially fun to ride (though I think the S-type is an improvement over the M in this respect - still dog slow, but it handles better), but that's not really what they're for.  They're about BloodyTrains and never having to lock your bike up unattended and nipping thorugh traffic and such.  A typical 20" Dahon or similar gives a much better ride, but sacrifices the convenience of the Brompton fold.

With such small wheels, potholes are a much greater liability than the tyre width might suggest.

I almost always enjoy riding my Brompton. I just did a run to the shops to buy potatoes, and coming out of the shop, did an extra 6km lap round the local lake cos it's a nice evening. It wasn't fast, but it was fun. Even tho it was my Brompton I have that warm fuzzy post ride glow.

I love how nippy and responsive my Brompton is. Sure she's not great on hills, but in the city, she's great. Brompton's work brilliantly in Dutch cities too. And when you make a mistake in your route, you can spin round within a fietspad cos the turning circle is so small.

Brompton's are great fun. Practical too, for certain values of practical.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #21 on: 26 November, 2020, 05:19:44 pm »

I love how nippy and responsive my Brompton is. Sure she's not great on hills, but in the city, she's great. Brompton's work brilliantly in Dutch cities too. And when you make a mistake in your route, you can spin round within a fietspad cos the turning circle is so small.

J

+1.  Nippy, responsive & fun  and not that slow either.  (flat-bar, 3 speed on kojak tyres)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 26 November, 2020, 05:27:39 pm »

I almost always enjoy riding my Brompton. I just did a run to the shops to buy potatoes, and coming out of the shop, did an extra 6km lap round the local lake cos it's a nice evening. It wasn't fast, but it was fun. Even tho it was my Brompton I have that warm fuzzy post ride glow.

This is all true.  It's one of the other types of fun.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #23 on: 26 November, 2020, 08:16:54 pm »

J

All of the above :) Fun to ride, I find it responsive and not too shabby uphill; the end of most rides for me is up about a 6% hill and even the 3 speed is ok.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 26 November, 2020, 08:51:31 pm »
In performance terms, uphill is what the Brompton's best at.  But it's not about performance.