Author Topic: NHL 20/21, or indeed any other sport  (Read 1838 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
NHL 20/21, or indeed any other sport
« on: 09 December, 2020, 02:39:32 pm »
A bit of background, for those who don't know these things.

Our Colonial Cousins, in Leftpondia play a game called Ice Hockey.

The season normally runs October to March, with the Stanley Cup Finals then running on after that.

This year the season ended early, and the Stanley Cup didn't get underway until August, with the final in October

So the teams then need downtime, no problem there

Those sensible voices said "Scrap the 20/21 season and start again in March 21"

The governing body said "No"

So allegedly the season will be forshortened, the leagues changed (as each league has teams from Canada in it thus international travel is an issue) and will end later than normal

The latest news is that players can opt out of playing (YAY! some common sense) but is it enough?

I get the feeling that the mighty dollar is ruling here, not the risk to lives (the players are paid on a par with Premier League footballers)

Why not just ditch 20/21 season and let everyone rest, be safe and come back at a later point? Am I missing something fundamental?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Re: NHL 20/21, or indeed any other sport
« Reply #1 on: 09 December, 2020, 02:40:40 pm »
Probably TV contracts? Killing the season would mean handing back a bunch of cash I assume?

Re: NHL 20/21, or indeed any other sport
« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2021, 12:50:52 am »
Maybe have a season where players can only play 2/3 of the matches.  It's a thing they talk about in other sports to grow the player pool and force clubs to give more players gametime.

I think they should accept this will be a very different season and propose a different format, regional cups and then some sort of playoff from there.  Make it interesting because its different.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace