Author Topic: Ebay Tandem, opinions please?  (Read 2797 times)

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
Ebay Tandem, opinions please?
« on: 19 April, 2023, 08:28:34 pm »
Hi, I've always had a soft spot for Cannondale tandems since I rode on the back of one for a few years with a mate of mine. I've had an ebay alert up for a long time (maybe 5 years?) which so far has only really found derailleur hangers for sale and some unsuitably sized tandems, until this popped up:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275800490872

It's the right size for my wife and I (6'4 and 6') which is rare. However, it must be quite old as it's a Made in USA frame which IIRC stopped in 2009.
Does anyone (apart from the seller if you're on here :) ) think it's worth £1400? Are there any obvious bits that will need a thorough check before any money changes hands?

All input much appreciated, I'm far from an expert in this field!
Everyone's favourite windbreak

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Ebay Tandem, opinions please?
« Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2023, 08:46:17 pm »
It looks like a low mileage machine and equipped decently.  I am a Cannondale tandem fan, owning the first such frame into Australia from new. The stoker can wiggle around however they like and the frame is stiff enough for the captain to keep the bike going where it should.

In terms of a fair price, how much is a comparable tandem new? Considerably more than double the asking price from memory.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2023, 10:10:23 pm »
aw that’s beautiful , surely if you’ve been waiting that long it’s worth the asking price

« Reply #3 on: 20 April, 2023, 08:36:27 am »
I'm not a fan of Cannondale tandems- too long for short arse stokers.

I think that's a fair price for a very nice well specced machine.

Morat

« Reply #4 on: 20 April, 2023, 09:45:09 pm »
Well, I was hoping you were all going to say "Nah, £750 tops" but I didn't really believe it.
I suspect this would push the N+1 counter on more than two notches. I'll have a think!
Thanks all :D

« Reply #5 on: 20 April, 2023, 10:12:42 pm »
£800-£1000

« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2023, 11:10:56 am »
2nd hand tandem purchases can be a bit of a mixture.  I bought our Orbit tandem on ebay for £500 - mine was the only bid.  Although it was in good condition, I spent comfortably more than double the purchase price replacing parts to bring it up to my standard.

Given your height, there won't be many around at a suitable size, but equally, there won't be much of a market for 2nd hand ones at that size either.

It looks in good condition, but keep some cash aside to replace any parts which you may need.  For example, I'd immediately swap the stoker's seat post for a 'proper' suspension seatpost such as a Thudbuster or Suntour NCX.  Your stoker will be much happier with one of those.

I'd be inclined to make a lower offer close to the end of bidding rather than start at the asking price. BUT - if it is definitely what you want, then don't miss out as you've waited long enough.

My wife and I absolutely love getting out on our tandem and wish we'd bought one sooner!

Morat

« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2023, 09:15:29 pm »
These are very good points, thank you. I'm already thinking we'll need at least one drag brake on those bosses (I'm guessing they're of V-Brake vintage) and there are now better options than BB7 out there. I'm quite picky about brakes. My previous tandem partnership ended with a loud bang as the front tyre blew off the rim.
Oh, and saddles and a seatpost and probably at least one stem/bar combo maybe two and oh my....

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #8 on: 23 April, 2023, 04:45:17 pm »
If you are looking specifically for a large-large tandem, I have one I do need to sell.

It's a Thompson Orbit from the 1980s, fitting me (6'5") well and comfortable for a 5'11" stoker; it took a special effort* to get the saddle low enough for my 5'5"ish wife. The frame is light but more flexible than a newer tandem made from chunkier tubing would be. It has a beautiful chunky Arai drum brake and I fitted Avid Shorty cantilevers and a new drive train only a few hundred miles (but more than a few years) ago. It was last ridden on our wedding day, and is not the right tandem now we have children.

It could do with new front and rear derailleurs and new brake hoods at least. I would not be looking for anything like £1,400!

*we used a Brooks B18 Lady saddle, which is sprung and mounts on a straight seatpost, so you can put the suspension even lower than the top of the tube.
Not especially helpful or mature

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #9 on: 23 April, 2023, 06:57:46 pm »
I've just put my Dawes tandem on ebay, I need the garage space for brewing!

Morat

« Reply #10 on: 29 April, 2023, 06:33:54 pm »
A deal has been agreed and paid for! Now I just need to drive 2.5hrs each way to pick it up :O

Thank you for the interest in your own tandems, but I've been looking specifically for a Cannondale. Not sure why they're "my brand" but I had three of their mountain bikes in the 90s when I was young and thin(ish). I broke one and had two stolen, but I still have the itch. I guess there's nothing particularly rational about any of this.

Morat

« Reply #11 on: 13 May, 2023, 07:18:44 am »
Well, I'm excited!
I have given it the once over and reset the front derailleur which was jamming the chain on upshifts. Being a wide range from from 30 to 54 it took a bit of tweaking but it's reliable now, if not as sweet as modern 105 on shorter cables. The brakes are surprisingly good for cable disks and even the extra levers on the tops do a good job.
The hubs are smooth and wiggle free, but I think the rear wheel is going to an expert for  preventative maintenance. It's acceptably true but the spoke tension is a bit uneven and some spokes are on the loose side. I'd be happy with it on a half bike but I've learned to expect tandem wheels to give up earlier.

The plan is to try a very flat and quiet 12 miles the next time the weather is good enough. We had a bit of a shake down wobble around the estate last night to play with saddles and bars, which was a hoot 🙂 the current tyres, saddles,brake setup will stay until experience tells us we need to change. I'm eying up tyres but the current 28mm gatorskins will do for now. The vbrake bosses are threaded and look like a cheap and sensible option, but I'm not sure about lever placement or cable runs yet.

I'm learning a whole new skill! Steering this thing seems very much more upright and through the bars than I was expecting. It's very solid and predictable though. What a beast!

« Reply #12 on: 13 May, 2023, 08:47:26 am »
Great news that you got the tandem and are enjoying it.

They take a bit of getting used to especially at low speed in tight spaces.  We had a few wobbly starts on ours to begin with, but you quickly settle into a pattern with your 'stoker'.  Feet up U turns need a wide road and a bit of practice!

In the first few days, we almost broke a chain on ours as I didn't tell the stoker when I was swapping chainrings - shifting under power is a bad idea.  Communication is really important when you are getting used to tandem riding.  With experience, my stoker now just knows when to expect a gear / chainring change and as a combo we stay pretty smooth and in unison these days.

You both need patience though.  I can understand why tandems are nicknamed 'Divorce Machines' - as one American wag put it 'Whatever direction your relationship is heading, it'll get there faster on a tandem' :)

My wife and I have ridden bikes all our lives, but we both agree that our tandem is easily the most fun machine in the stable and we rarely ride our solos any more. Have a great time with yours.

« Reply #13 on: 13 May, 2023, 09:04:42 am »
Great news that you got the tandem and are enjoying it.

They take a bit of getting used to especially at low speed in tight spaces.  We had a few wobbly starts on ours to begin with, but you quickly settle into a pattern with your 'stoker'.  Feet up U turns need a wide road and a bit of practice!

In the first few days, we almost broke a chain on ours as I didn't tell the stoker when I was swapping chainrings - shifting under power is a bad idea.  Communication is really important when you are getting used to tandem riding.  With experience, my stoker now just knows when to expect a gear / chainring change and as a combo we stay pretty smooth and in unison these days.

You both need patience though.  I can understand why tandems are nicknamed 'Divorce Machines' - as one American wag put it 'Whatever direction your relationship is heading, it'll get there faster on a tandem' :)

My wife and I have ridden bikes all our lives, but we both agree that our tandem is easily the most fun machine in the stable and we rarely ride our solos any more. Have a great time with yours.

My advice (gained from learning on a Claude Butler swb with my brother half a century ago) is to go out every day if you can for the first week for 15 - 30 minutes. After that you start getting a bit more co-ordinated and ready for real adventures (and it isn't so far that you have time to fall out and face disaster!)

Morat

« Reply #14 on: 13 May, 2023, 07:44:28 pm »
Thanks for the tips, all good advice which I'll take on board.
We did 6 miles today on the maiden voyage. I'm very glad I took the time to ride it around solo first and get used to the handling. I've developed a lot of respect for my former Captain - there's a lot to think about on the front. I think I preferred jumping on the back and just pedalling! I got my stoker to close her eyes for a while and I could instantly feel her relax on the bike. Stability improved after that.
Anyway, we made it round a local loop and the front derailleur (105 5700) is now working fine instead of jamming the chain on upshifts. The rear hasn't been touched and does need a tweak. The brakes are very impressive, although I'm not going to trust them on proper hills without some alternatives. I need to work out how to route cable to the rear brake bosses.

I took my 11yo son out as well, he loved it and has an incredible power to weight ratio... a lot cheaper than a e-bike ;)
Now I just need to polish the thing...