Author Topic: Tour de France 2021  (Read 54020 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Tour de France 2021
« on: 23 June, 2021, 12:31:31 pm »
Wot, le Tour starting on Saturday and no thread yet ???

Anyway, procyclingstats.com have published an alleged start list: clicky.

(click to show/hide)

No Dumoulin, no Bardet, no Pinot, no Bernal (and no Tim Wellens, whose absence probably means Thomas de Gendt will be sulking for most of the race again)...

The Comic's route guide: clicky.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Re: Tour de France 2021
« Reply #1 on: 23 June, 2021, 01:32:18 pm »
Starts with a bang too :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 23 June, 2021, 01:57:21 pm »
Can't see beyond the Slovenes for the GC. Carapaz maybe?

« Reply #3 on: 23 June, 2021, 02:37:43 pm »
Think Ineos will break one of the Slovenes, but not both.

Can't see both G and Porte getting around without at least one of them needing their stabilisers.  Agree Carapaz is the best bet for Ineos.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #4 on: 23 June, 2021, 03:18:53 pm »
Last male rider who successfully defended the TdF after winning it for the first time was Armstrong Induráin in 1991 / 1992.

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 23 June, 2021, 06:20:23 pm »
Wot, le Tour starting on Saturday and no thread yet ???
No Dumoulin, no Bardet, no Pinot, no Bernal (and no Tim Wellens, whose absence probably means Thomas de Gendt will be sulking for most of the race again)...

It's the Tour, is it? I find myself struggling to GAF. Especially if I don't get the opportunity to have my hopes dashed by the always disappointing Thibaut Pinot. Again.

That does look like a really weak field, but then I've not been following pro cycling since the End Times began, so I have no idea who are the hot properties right now. Apart from Roglic. I presume he is taking part?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6 on: 23 June, 2021, 06:31:14 pm »
Roglič is indeed on the grid.  I've just noticed the absence of Matteo Trentin too, so ASO might as well parcel up the Green Jersey, post it to Bratislava and save Crazy P the bother :demon:

« Reply #7 on: 23 June, 2021, 06:43:27 pm »
No Bardet - is he stuck up a chimney?  :demon:

(On the plus side, it does at least mean that there is no chance that ITV4 will be inflicting SL2's On A Ragga Tip on us, per the last time he won a stage.)

ETA - the B&B Hotels team should have all those not named Cyril change their names for the duration. And for teh LOLz.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #8 on: 23 June, 2021, 07:50:00 pm »
On the plus side, it does at least mean that there is no chance that ITV4 will be inflicting SL2's On A Ragga Tip on us, per the last time he won a stage.

That made me laugh when it happened. Just dug it out on spotify now :)

I somehow failed to watch most of the cycling so far this year. I'll probably watch at least some of the tour.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #9 on: 23 June, 2021, 08:18:02 pm »
Is it just me who calls Team Wanky Groupsex by that name, or ... okay it's just me.

Last male rider who successfully defended the TdF after winning it for the first time was Armstrong Induráin in 1991 / 1992.

TBF Froome was only a slip on a Roubaix cobble away from winning it in 2014, and Contador didn't win in 2008 because his team were sitting on the naughty step - he returned to win in 2009.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #10 on: 23 June, 2021, 08:36:41 pm »
Is it just me who calls Team Wanky Groupsex by that name, or ... okay it's just me.

They have occasionally been referred to as Wanky Gobshite within these hallowed walls.

« Reply #11 on: 23 June, 2021, 09:24:17 pm »

TBF Froome was only a slip on a Roubaix cobble away from winning it in 2014, and Contador didn't win in 2008 because his team were sitting on the naughty step - he returned to win in 2009.

and a slip on an ordinary bit of road, and riding into a kind of barrier on another bit of road...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #12 on: 24 June, 2021, 07:06:38 am »

TBF Froome was only a slip on a Roubaix cobble away from winning it in 2014,

Froome had already fallen off twice before the cobbles on Stage 5. Followed by Nibali  putting 2 minutes into all other GC riders on that stage. So we're not talking about Froome falling off on the Champs-Elysees cobbles while in yellow! That would be a "slip away".

Looking forward: will Pogacar be a first time winner to defend the title?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #13 on: 24 June, 2021, 11:11:44 am »
Lots of climbers who hate TTs stayed away because of a whole 60km of TTing. Sigh.

The sprints are going to be open now there's no Bennet, and the QS team hasn't got the full train there.
There are loads of 1 or 2 time grand tour winners, but no clear patron - that could make for an interesting race. Also, Ineos might have 4 of the 8 best GC riders, but no-one in the top 2, so hopefully they will start sending attacks own the road and make the mountains interesting.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #14 on: 24 June, 2021, 12:03:29 pm »
I'm looking forward to an interesting race, but it's hard to see past Rog & Pog. I'm going for Roglic.

« Reply #15 on: 26 June, 2021, 08:22:57 am »
Well, why not... 
Tour de France Theme Tune - Channel 4 - Pete Shelley    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTYqzUE_9rY
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #16 on: 26 June, 2021, 09:10:43 am »
It'll be a battle between Porte/Thomas and Rog and Pog, I suspect, with strength of Ineos holding off talent of Rog/Pog.

Should be a good watch. Last year was great.

« Reply #17 on: 26 June, 2021, 11:42:42 am »
Hopefully a good opener too, with the Brittany terrain, and all jersey/positions up for grabs.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #18 on: 26 June, 2021, 11:55:01 am »
Meanwhile this guy is going to do it on his own and aim to finish before the pelican
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jun/26/cycling-lachlan-morton-tour-de-france-endurance

Dotwatchers link https://alttour.ef.com/
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #19 on: 26 June, 2021, 01:53:38 pm »
Well, why not... 
Tour de France Theme Tune - Channel 4 - Pete Shelley    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTYqzUE_9rY
That was lovely.  :thumbsup:
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #20 on: 26 June, 2021, 03:12:21 pm »
Mass crash.  Supporter?   :o :(

« Reply #21 on: 26 June, 2021, 03:12:51 pm »
Yes. Looked painful

Snapped Colnago ££££

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #22 on: 26 June, 2021, 03:13:28 pm »
Ouch.  That's a mess. :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #23 on: 26 June, 2021, 03:17:53 pm »
Rider hit spectator's long cardboard placard...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #24 on: 26 June, 2021, 03:20:11 pm »
I hope she is held to account for that.