Author Topic: Crab & Winkle Way  (Read 6060 times)

Re: Crab & Winkle Way
« Reply #25 on: 25 June, 2021, 11:53:18 am »
I've not done the Whitstabubble FNRttC before. Do we need locks on bikes at the caff ?
No. Take them upstairs on the terrace. (Assuming that there aren't 100's of you)
Also, you're in for a treat.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #26 on: 25 June, 2021, 11:55:30 am »
Yes. Unless you can run very fast down stairs in cycling shoes.

(Personally I wouldn't take a chance on being allowed to take my bike up onto the terrace.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 25 June, 2021, 11:55:45 am »
I don't know the Crab and Winkle way, but I've ridden from Canterbury to Whitstable on the B road that goes through Tyler Hill and Radfall a few times and found it perfectly fine for cycling. (I don't know what it would be like first thing on a Saturday morning, though.)

I've done that too, and the uphill part is very much Not Pleasant on account of the speed differential and the general absence of driver patience.

« Reply #28 on: 25 June, 2021, 12:02:10 pm »
Yes. Unless you can run very fast down stairs in cycling shoes.

(Personally I wouldn't take a chance on being allowed to take my bike up onto the terrace.)
On previous rides there's usually been half a dozen bikes up there, Neither Faye or any of her staff seemed unduly bothered.
At that time of day they don't have any punters other than the night ride dodgy types.
FNRttC has been putting cash through their till since something like 2008, at a time of day when they would  otherwise be closed - I can't see them getting arsey about a few bikes.

citoyen

« Reply #29 on: 25 June, 2021, 12:07:31 pm »
FPWM. I was forgetting how early it was that you'd be there.

« Reply #30 on: 25 June, 2021, 12:19:50 pm »
There's 60 on the ride, so I would imagine that not all will fit on the terrace. (Adds lock to packing list.)
Rust never sleeps

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #31 on: 25 June, 2021, 12:25:04 pm »
There's 60 on the ride, so I would imagine that not all will fit on the terrace. (Adds lock to packing list.)

A Covid pedant writes: There's 30 on one ride and 30 on another ride, setting off 30 minutes apart.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #32 on: 25 June, 2021, 01:12:22 pm »
I know nothing of the crab 🦀 and winkle way. But what a wonderful name for it.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #33 on: 25 June, 2021, 01:25:21 pm »
I know nothing of the crab 🦀 and winkle way. But what a wonderful name for it.

There's a lot of interesting history in the story of the Canterbury and Whitstable railway, upon which the crab and winkle runs...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

citoyen

« Reply #34 on: 25 June, 2021, 05:09:19 pm »
The path deviates from the railway line after you pass the winding pond (where they had the big steam powered winch to pull the trains up the hill). If you look on Google Earth you can still see where the railway line went. There was a tunnel under Tyler Hill, and you can still see the entrance portals at either end buried in the undergrowth, if you know where to look. Bricked up now, of course. It would be good if they could restore the tunnel one day and make it part of the C&W path - would make the climb out of Canterbury a bit easier.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #35 on: 25 June, 2021, 06:28:09 pm »
The path deviates from the railway line after you pass the winding pond (where they had the big steam powered winch to pull the trains up the hill). If you look on Google Earth you can still see where the railway line went. There was a tunnel under Tyler Hill, and you can still see the entrance portals at either end buried in the undergrowth, if you know where to look. Bricked up now, of course. It would be good if they could restore the tunnel one day and make it part of the C&W path - would make the climb out of Canterbury a bit easier.

the tunnel has been infilled after the computer science department started to fall into it...

J
--

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #36 on: 25 June, 2021, 07:17:55 pm »
Hatler: i have printed a map of the route from the caff to the station for you, will hand over at some point.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

MsG

• No hills in Fenland but lots of wind
« Reply #37 on: 25 June, 2021, 09:24:33 pm »
I usually get lost in the back streets to the station (daft as it's not that far) so have done a route this time in case I'm not going on to Canterbury https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36544884?privacy_code=lzJQOgxna3jZumJG

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 25 June, 2021, 10:42:49 pm »
I usually get lost in the back streets to the station (daft as it's not that far) so have done a route this time in case I'm not going on to Canterbury https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36544884?privacy_code=lzJQOgxna3jZumJG

You're not the only one.  I find the up-and-over route via Castle Road is less error-prone, as you know to turn right after the bridge.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #39 on: 26 June, 2021, 12:19:16 pm »
We have despatched hatler to the tender mercies of the Crab and Winkle. Watch this space to see if he emerges.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #40 on: 26 June, 2021, 12:27:39 pm »
We have despatched hatler to the tender mercies of the Crab and Winkle. Watch this space to see if he emerges.

KSAR on standby...

J
--

MsG

• No hills in Fenland but lots of wind
« Reply #41 on: 26 June, 2021, 12:28:44 pm »
James R and I made it to Canterbury. Rather lovely codicil to a great ride  :D

« Reply #42 on: 26 June, 2021, 06:10:13 pm »
I recall at least one Silly Sustrans Gate, where a Sustrans volunteer was collecting surveys from path users.  Hopefully they're not still there.
The gates, or the volunteers?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #43 on: 26 June, 2021, 06:25:49 pm »
I recall at least one Silly Sustrans Gate, where a Sustrans volunteer was collecting surveys from path users.  Hopefully they're not still there.
The gates, or the volunteers?

Yes  :)

« Reply #44 on: 26 June, 2021, 06:53:56 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #45 on: 26 June, 2021, 08:15:25 pm »
Hatler: i have printed a map of the route from the caff to the station for you, will hand over at some point.
Perfect. Thank you. Very sorry you had to bail at Strood. My satnav got me to the start, but was so low on battery that I turned it off to save some for later so used your map for the end bit (which confirmed that the road was the obvious way to go).
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #46 on: 26 June, 2021, 08:18:16 pm »

KSAR on standby...

J
No need for KSAR. Was able to find the C&W Way without any bother (even after a coupe of beers). Only had 10 minutes to wait for a train and once at Headcorn had a straightforward 8 mile run to the in-laws. A bit up and downy, and the weight in the panniers slowed me down a bit but got there in time for a rousing welcome and quite a boozy lunch. Feeling mildly pooped now. Might head for bed before 9pm, which is when I normally head off.

I think the day ended up at 85 miles, which will be the furthest I've been in a long time.
Rust never sleeps

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #47 on: 26 June, 2021, 08:23:37 pm »

Excellent, glad it worked out.

How was the surface in the end?

J
--

« Reply #48 on: 27 June, 2021, 10:18:46 am »
Mostly tarmac, one very short section of road, the fast downhill section of road into Canterbury, and the remainder on perfectly negotiable hard pack.
Rust never sleeps

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #49 on: 27 June, 2021, 08:51:25 pm »
Glad it was a good ride. Very good to meet you (as we rode through the old arsenal) and - if they are looking - many thanks to Ross and Kim and their respective TLCs for a great night out. I can't make the Brighton ride but will sign up for the next one that I can make.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?