Author Topic: Old paint  (Read 1553 times)

Old paint
« on: 02 July, 2021, 01:23:36 pm »
How old would paint have to be before you would not use it?

I have found a nearly full tin of wood primer paint - just what I need. But, it must have been left in the flat by the previous occupants, i.e. it was bought some time before 2004. It was very separated, but stirring has brought it back together. I'm still not quite convinced - my trial spot looks streaky (this could just be my incompetence, though) and it is still a bit tacky to the touch after 12 hours.

Thoughts? Am I going to have streaky looking paintwork if I use this?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Old paint
« Reply #1 on: 02 July, 2021, 01:31:13 pm »
Unless the instructions say otherwise I’d expect it to be dry by now. Much as I hate waste I’d be loathe to use it as you may end up with a far bigger job if you need to strip it off again having discovered that it doesn’t dry or even worse that your topcoat doesn’t take properly

« Reply #2 on: 02 July, 2021, 01:52:51 pm »
Unless the instructions say otherwise I’d expect it to be dry by now. Much as I hate waste I’d be loathe to use it as you may end up with a far bigger job if you need to strip it off again having discovered that it doesn’t dry or even worse that your topcoat doesn’t take properly
This.

Paint is not expensive.  Your time applying it is worth a lot more, based on minimum wage. If it goes wrong, you will have wasted lots of time.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #3 on: 02 July, 2021, 03:40:34 pm »
As above, though I suspect you’ve underestimated the degree of effort full mixing will involve - think the paint shakers in DIY stores.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4 on: 03 July, 2021, 05:01:13 am »
You may end up with tacky trim, beyond just the usual tackyness of streaks from the primer showing through the final coats of pigment.

Perhaps the special parts of the primer which convince it to dry have evaporated.

Best bet, since as noted your time is better spent doing something other than scraping sticky paint off, would be to get the recommended primer product from the same manufacturer as the topcoats will be.  And, lightly sand before applying primer, and then sand the primed areas lightly to assist with adhesion.

« Reply #5 on: 05 July, 2021, 05:02:33 pm »
Thanks all.
I bought new paint.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6 on: 05 July, 2021, 05:21:13 pm »
This leads to the next question: how do you get rid of all those old tins of paint you kept just in case, but have long since passed their useful life and are now just cluttering up the garage?

Actually, reading this thread has inspired me to look this up for myself - this is informative:
https://www.diy.com/ideas-advice/how-to-recycle-paint-paint-cans/PROD_npcart_100261.art

Also my local council website says they will take old paint tins at the tip, but the paint needs to be hardened first (eg by adding soil or sand).

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #7 on: 05 July, 2021, 05:25:41 pm »
Our local tip (Warwickshire) have a very convoluted and restrictive process for paints and other liquids requiring itemisation, registration and booking a time and place to make the delivery. Pop across to Daventry which is a short hop from Rugby and in Northamptonshire and you can just turn up with your noxious fluids.

It should be easy to dispose of such tings so that people take it to the tip and don't fly tip or even pour it down drains.  Isn't this blindingly obvious and total common sense?

« Reply #8 on: 06 July, 2021, 05:03:40 pm »
Our local community warehouse takes tins of paint.  Obviously not empty ones.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #9 on: 06 July, 2021, 05:20:45 pm »
I've tins of paint more that 15 years old.
Using the council recycling service (for paint disposal) in my borough isn't straightforward.
I need to make an arrangement with The Corporation of The City of London for someone to come and collect it after I have boxed and labelled it.
As has been mentioned elsewhere - keeping the process simple is bound to reduce the instances of fly-tipping.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #10 on: 06 July, 2021, 06:16:57 pm »
Our local tip (Warwickshire) have a very convoluted and restrictive process for paints and other liquids requiring itemisation, registration and booking a time and place to make the delivery. Pop across to Daventry which is a short hop from Rugby and in Northamptonshire and you can just turn up with your noxious fluids.

It should be easy to dispose of such tings so that people take it to the tip and don't fly tip or even pour it down drains.  Isn't this blindingly obvious and total common sense?

You’re missing the obvious point that the people who are responsible for paint disposal are the same ones who close local recycling centres or restrict access whilst maintaining that the policy won’t increase fly tipping :facepalm: :)