Author Topic: items of yore  (Read 35129 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: items of yore
« Reply #500 on: 23 June, 2022, 12:22:00 am »
appropriated from a post on the book of faces:

"Picked up my sons from school and stopped to get gas; invited them to get out of the car and learn how to do it.
"Afterwards the 11yo says 'thanks for the life lesson, but I'll never drive a gas car.
"13yo says 'this is like the time you showed us how a pay phone works."

Barakta (who admittedly doesn't have a driving licence) used an EV rapid charger before she used a petrol pump.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #501 on: 23 June, 2022, 12:42:12 am »

"Picked up my sons from school and stopped to get gas; invited them to get out of the car and learn how to do it.
"Afterwards the 11yo says 'thanks for the life lesson, but I'll never drive a gas car.

In ten years time, when the 11 y/o is a Penniless Student Oaf…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #502 on: 23 June, 2022, 07:42:32 am »

Barakta (who admittedly doesn't have a driving licence) used an EV rapid charger before she used a petrol pump.
Conversely, the first train I, and later my daughters, went on was a steam train (at D*dcot).

My mother put petrol in a car for the first time this year (she claims), as my dad used to do it.  She's been driving since the late 1970s.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #503 on: 23 June, 2022, 08:24:03 am »
I'm hoping that an entry on this list will be a phone app to enable car charging, replaced by a swipe of a credit card or the system recognising the car and just getting on with it.

In my 6 attempts to charge a car with DC, only the first one, on the oldest charger, used an app, and it failed. All subsequent attempts used a contactless credit card, and all but one worked.

(I suspect the two failed attempts weren't payment issues, but were due to the e-UP only wanting 320 V and 24 kW, and some DC chargers refusing to go that low)
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #504 on: 27 June, 2022, 08:41:06 pm »
The sweet shop. We used to visit on Friday with pocket money. 1 pence for every year old you were.  Sherbet dips, liquorice strings, gob stoppers etc.
Still alive and well in the western Midlands. Saw some in Worcester, and various towns I can no longer positively identify in the Cheshire and Staffordshire region last week.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.