Author Topic: Items here now won't be there then  (Read 18529 times)

offcumden

• Oh, no!
Re: Items here now won't be there then
« Reply #225 on: 15 September, 2021, 09:28:15 pm »
Once shops/cafes started to open up after the first lockdown I used to carry cash and a debit card, but soon realised that I could relieve the burden on my pockets by just using ApplePay on my phone. I do enjoy the simplicity. Worked well until recently when one of my regular cycling cafes had a power cut - fortunately after I'd had my tea and toast, but before I could pay. I went back a week later, by which time power had been restored, and I settled my debt.

And, more recently, at a newsagent I picked up a copy of the "i" and was told that there was a minimum card payment of £1. Easily settled by the newsagent, who charged my card/phone the £1, and gave me 35p in cash.

Mention above of pocket-slapping reminded me of the old story of the gentleman in the three-piece suit, with cash and half-hunter in his weskit pockets, who would always cross himself before setting out from home. Not, as some may have thought, as a religious ritual, but to verify that all essentials were present and correct - saying to himself as he did so, "Spectacles, testicles, wallet, watch".

« Reply #226 on: 15 September, 2021, 11:03:07 pm »
I always put all the change (below an actual pound coin) in the charity box (I've never been convinced the contents of these boxes go to charity, but hey, it's the thought that counts). They'll be suffering now I've gone cashless.

Over here at the upper left corner of the map of USAnia, many grocers (from healthy-food small cooperatives to acre-plus sized corporate outlets) have a round-up for charity possibility when using charge cards.  It's rather painless and they tend to rotate charity recipients from week to week; animal shelters, food banks, transitional housing, etc.  "Your total is $23.64, would you like to round up to $24 for ... ?" is usually answered yes.

Apparently there are phone apps that will keep track over a month, and then you can direct the extra to the charity of your choice.  I suspect that these "free" services are paid for by those seeking information on spending habits.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #227 on: 15 September, 2021, 11:43:19 pm »
Indeed, but there are costs for doing everything. Going to the bank and dropping off cash isn't free either.
As I remember it, it was 50p per note.
I was sent out to buy change once, I was sent out with more thns normal on the basis that I wouldn't be recognized by those likely to want to jump me for the money and that at my height and weight most such gadgies would be out off anyway.

The amount I returned with in coins was noticably lower than what I handed over in notes.

One of the early aims of contactlens was to get fees close to, or lower than cash.

Card minimums or no card suggest any combination of:
1) still being in a crap agreement with bank
2) a safe full of notes and coins
3) creative book keeping.
The further from discivilization you are the more likely 2 becomes due to lack of bank and time required to travel to discivilizarion to find one.
Oh 1 in civilization also suggests any banking that is done is with the RBS since they still have mobile branches but otherwise shite.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #228 on: 15 September, 2021, 11:56:01 pm »
Indeed, but there are costs for doing everything. Going to the bank and dropping off cash isn't free either.

Quite so but it's predictable and your own time.   Also, the smaller you are as a business the higher your fees will be.  The normal rules of supply and demand operate even in the finance sector.  And, merchants have to pay monthly for the epos kit too which is yet another expense.  It all adds up.

Cash is not dead yet in spite of the attempts of the £££banks£££ and $big$cos to gan ever more control over your spending and your data.  And given how this corrupt government is about to trash GDPR and de-protect personal data, I'll keep the cash handy thanks.

Only in your own time if you are able to visit a bank during opening hours.

Banks have closed.

Here, in a three town triangle, two towns had one branch and 1 town had four. Naturally now two towns have no branches and 1 town still has four. A little bit of consideration forth market (and the realisation that it is possible to have 'centres' of the operation that are not profitable, whilst still being profitable overall could have meant 2 towns with one branch each and one with two.

10,000 more people would still have access to a bank. (Not 'access' which means a 15-20 minute drive, a parking fee, and a 15-20 minute driver back)

Banking hours have always been restrictive anyway but I agree that they have got worse (I.e. been reduced) since covid.  And branch closures are a symptom of the drive to push people contactless.  It is estimated that between 1.3 and 2.4 million adults in the UK do not have a bank account primarily because they are not eligible and for some, never have been.   For these people cash is the only possible solution.  Now, I accept that they are a minority but they still need to buy food etc.  I will not come as a shock to learn that many of these are also homeless.

As a so-called civilised society we should never exclude the disadvantaged.

Absolutely agree.

It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #229 on: 16 September, 2021, 08:51:58 am »
I always put all the change (below an actual pound coin) in the charity box (I've never been convinced the contents of these boxes go to charity, but hey, it's the thought that counts). They'll be suffering now I've gone cashless.

Over here at the upper left corner of the map of USAnia, many grocers (from healthy-food small cooperatives to acre-plus sized corporate outlets) have a round-up for charity possibility when using charge cards.  It's rather painless and they tend to rotate charity recipients from week to week; animal shelters, food banks, transitional housing, etc.  "Your total is $23.64, would you like to round up to $24 for ... ?" is usually answered yes.

Apparently there are phone apps that will keep track over a month, and then you can direct the extra to the charity of your choice.  I suspect that these "free" services are paid for by those seeking information on spending habits.

I like this idea, but I've not really seen it often on this side of the pond, though charity and volunteering is more a fundamental part of the American mindset, Brits will sit around and moan the council hasn't done it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #230 on: 16 September, 2021, 09:42:23 am »
I remember several years ago when the HSBC on the high st here closed down, the surviving NatWest was deluged with local shopkeepers wanting change. All met with "Do you have an account here?" "No." And refusal. I guess they've now either switched accounts or found some other way. Similarly, when I was doing a volly shift in a chazzer, every morning began with sending someone to the bank with yesterday's takings and instructions to pick up x y z coins. Notes not usually a problem. Took about half an hour. Logically, the further from a surviving branch you are, the more likely it should be that shops prefer cards over cash. But is that actually the case?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #231 on: 16 September, 2021, 11:01:55 am »
... volly ... chazzer ...

Are these Bristolian words? I haven't come across them before.
Sir! Sir! I know. Chazzer = charity shop.  From that I'd assume volly is volunteer.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #232 on: 16 September, 2021, 11:20:56 am »
Yes. As in "Let's go for a pint at the Volly Arms." I'm not aware of a pub called the Charity Arms but I'm sure there's one somewhere!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #233 on: 16 September, 2021, 01:34:08 pm »

Quite so but it's predictable and your own time.   Also, the smaller you are as a business the higher your fees will be.  The normal rules of supply and demand operate even in the finance sector.  And, merchants have to pay monthly for the epos kit too which is yet another expense.  It all adds up.

Cash is not dead yet in spite of the attempts of the £££banks£££ and $big$cos to gan ever more control over your spending and your data.  And given how this corrupt government is about to trash GDPR and de-protect personal data, I'll keep the cash handy thanks.

Only in your own time if you are able to visit a bank during opening hours.

Banks have closed.

Here, in a three town triangle, two towns had one branch and 1 town had four. Naturally now two towns have no branches and 1 town still has four. A little bit of consideration forth market (and the realisation that it is possible to have 'centres' of the operation that are not profitable, whilst still being profitable overall could have meant 2 towns with one branch each and one with two.

10,000 more people would still have access to a bank. (Not 'access' which means a 15-20 minute drive, a parking fee, and a 15-20 minute driver back)

Banking hours have always been restrictive anyway but I agree that they have got worse (I.e. been reduced) since covid.  And branch closures are a symptom of the drive to push people contactless.  It is estimated that between 1.3 and 2.4 million adults in the UK do not have a bank account primarily because they are not eligible and for some, never have been.   For these people cash is the only possible solution.  Now, I accept that they are a minority but they still need to buy food etc.  I will not come as a shock to learn that many of these are also homeless.

As a so-called civilised society we should never exclude the disadvantaged.

Absolutely agree.
This would be an advantage of mPesa type systems. It's easier and cheaper to get a basic phone and number than a bank account. It doesn't need to be a smartphone, just one that will make and accept text messages. Several years ago the Indian government had a scheme to make social security payments by phone numbers. I don't know whether they implemented it. It would avoid the need for bank accounts, enabling more recipients especially in rural areas, and at the same time cash. Effectively it's creating a basic bank account tied to your phone. But a stumbling block in the Indian context would be the need for basic literacy and numeracy.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #234 on: 16 September, 2021, 02:23:11 pm »

I like this idea, but I've not really seen it often on this side of the pond, though charity and volunteering is more a fundamental part of the American mindset, Brits will sit around and moan the council hasn't done it.
Charity aside, tax deductions are alive and well on both sides of the pond, and I attribute this to the rise of "Tick this box to donate £1 to $worthy_cause" on the checkout of online purchases.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #235 on: 17 September, 2021, 03:24:56 pm »
Six years after the end of the paper counterpart to your driving licence, rumours are the plastic card could go too.
The DVLA has announced a trial that could see plastic driving licences phased out over the next few years in favour of a new digital system.

The first phase of the plans will see the launch of new mobile provisional licences for learner drivers, which will be accessible via a smartphone app.

It is understood that the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) could then look to expand the technology to cover full licences too.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #236 on: 17 September, 2021, 05:20:32 pm »
That’ll go down well with car hire companies in FOREIGN parts, such as Abroad.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #237 on: 17 September, 2021, 07:12:14 pm »
The mid-morning crackle of tabloid paper from the stalls in the works toilet.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #238 on: 17 September, 2021, 07:45:06 pm »
Anything printed on Niceday paper.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #239 on: 17 September, 2021, 08:10:49 pm »
That’ll go down well with car hire companies in FOREIGN parts, such as Abroad.
That's okay because:
The Department for Transport (DfT) said that the government was prevented from developing digital licences before Brexit because of European Union law, which stipulated the need for a physical version.

Grant Shapps, the transport secretary, said that Britain's transport system would be "fairer, greener and more efficient thanks to our exciting new post-EU freedom".

He said that digital driving licences and MoTs would move the system "into the modern age".

« Reply #240 on: 18 September, 2021, 12:25:44 pm »
Isn’t there another government department making it impossible to vote without photo ID?

Although Tory voters older people will be ok as apparently bus passes will be accepted.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #241 on: 18 September, 2021, 02:38:17 pm »
Kg & g it would seem.  Now, I'm old enough that lb & oz are weights I have an intuitive (OK, learnt) feel for and I have to *think* about grammes etc in everyday contexts, but really! What a bloody silly idea.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #242 on: 18 September, 2021, 03:37:51 pm »
Six years after the end of the paper counterpart to your driving licence, rumours are the plastic card could go too.
The DVLA has announced a trial that could see plastic driving licences phased out over the next few years in favour of a new digital system.

The first phase of the plans will see the launch of new mobile provisional licences for learner drivers, which will be accessible via a smartphone app.

It is understood that the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) could then look to expand the technology to cover full licences too.

What a fucking stupid idea. The number of failure modes of this is just mind boggling. The reliance on a smart phone app for many things is getting ridiculous.

Am glad I have a Dutch license.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

ppg

« Reply #243 on: 18 September, 2021, 03:56:17 pm »
Assuming it's 'as well as' plastic as opposed to 'instead of' then I'm all in favour.

I rarely carry my wallet these cashless days, credit cards sit on the phone and watch, so the option to leave another card at home get my vote.
We have even managed to get the NT 'volly' to accept images of our membership cards, having stupidly left them at home.

I assume any plod wanting to see the license will have access to the digital database anyway?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #244 on: 18 September, 2021, 04:07:30 pm »
Assuming it's 'as well as' plastic as opposed to 'instead of' then I'm all in favour.

I rarely carry my wallet these cashless days, credit cards sit on the phone and watch, so the option to leave another card at home get my vote.
We have even managed to get the NT 'volly' to accept images of our membership cards, having stupidly left them at home.

I assume any plod wanting to see the license will have access to the digital database anyway?

Unless that police officer is German. And has just pulled you over at the side of the Autobahn...

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #245 on: 18 September, 2021, 04:24:04 pm »
In the international situation, thanks to our recent joining of the Vienna Convention, you'll have an international driving permit. Another Brexit bonus!

Domestically, the entirely unpredictable and completely unforeseeable likelihood is that they'll have a trial, which will uncover various serious flaws. A few adjustments will be made and a contract will then be signed to roll it out nationally with a company having nine shillings capital, zero employees, based at a PO Box in Jersey and set up two weeks previously by Chris Grayling's sister's best friend. This will deliver something totally unworkable, four years late and several tens of millions over budget, which will then necessitate a return to plastic cards. In the meantime, it will have been impossible to present a driving licence for several years, meaning all driving offences are essentially untraceable.

Meanwhile, in the rest of the world, Google will have launched its reliable, cheap, Licence app, built into all new Android phones, while Apple has come up with (obviously) iDrive. But neither of these will be acceptable in UK.

« Reply #246 on: 18 September, 2021, 04:47:06 pm »

What a fucking stupid idea. The number of failure modes of this is just mind boggling. The reliance on a smart phone app for many things is getting ridiculous.

Am glad I have a Dutch license.

J

Unlike what we see in films set in the USA, there’s no requirement in the UK to carry a licence while driving or show it to a police officer who stops you.

Governments of both colours have long wanted to have ways of tracking people with ID cards and the like. The increasing normalisation of various smartphone apps and flashing of qr codes brings this to reality.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #247 on: 18 September, 2021, 04:53:38 pm »

Unlike what we see in films set in the USA, there’s no requirement in the UK to carry a licence while driving or show it to a police officer who stops you.

Governments of both colours have long wanted to have ways of tracking people with ID cards and the like. The increasing normalisation of various smartphone apps and flashing of qr codes brings this to reality.

Lucky non of you ever plan on driving outside of the UK then...

Or opening a bank account...

J
--

ppg

« Reply #248 on: 18 September, 2021, 05:13:39 pm »

Lucky non of you ever plan on driving outside of the UK then...

Or opening a bank account...

J

I assumed we need an IDP now anyway (£5.50 from PO) and you need a passport to travel abroad!

Have opened many bank accounts, never used or needed a driving license

« Reply #249 on: 18 September, 2021, 07:47:38 pm »
As we plan to go to Tenerife in October I thought I should check.  We do not need an IDP in the EU it appears for periods of upto 6 months.  After that you need to check whcich IDP you need
Check which IDP you need
Check the table to find out if you need an IDP. There are 3 types of IDP:

The IDP you need depends on what country you’re visiting.

If you’re travelling through more than one country, you might need more than one type of IDP.

If the country you’re visiting is not included in the table, check with the embassy of the country you’re travelling to.

If you’re hiring a car, check with your car hire company.