Author Topic: Opinions on rackpacks - Vaude Silkroad, Zéfal Traveller - and others?  (Read 2711 times)

Re: Opinions on rackpacks - Vaude Silkroad, Zéfal Traveller - and others?
« Reply #25 on: 05 September, 2021, 07:33:09 pm »
Have an Ortlieb trunk bag urban, bought for the other half but it was too tall on the rack for her. Its now my rear bag for bike packing , no messing about with straps or velcro. The fixings for the rack top and on the bike.

« Reply #26 on: 05 September, 2021, 08:34:19 pm »
Also have an Ortlieb trunk bag, but the slightly lower profile version that has zip closure rather than rolltop. The fixing system is rock solid and simple. Also fitted the ridiculously narrow (75mm) top deck of my Tubus rack.

The bag itself is also rigid (no flop) without being silly heavy to achieve that rigidity (I also found brand of camera bag liner that fitted it perfectly so the interior is now padded and has moveable velcro attached internal walls).

An so far proven totally waterproof as expected for Ortlieb kit.

« Reply #27 on: 06 September, 2021, 04:20:14 pm »
Another option is the Lomo rack pack. It is pretty big, waterproof and yellow. And pretty cheap, though maybe a bit more expensive if sending overseas.
The straps attach with clips and velcro. You can leave the base part of the strap on the rack, so should be pretty quick to clip the bag on and off.

« Reply #28 on: 06 September, 2021, 08:19:59 pm »
Have an Ortlieb trunk bag urban, bought for the other half but it was too tall on the rack for her. Its now my rear bag for bike packing , no messing about with straps or velcro.
That's not dissimilar from the effect I've got on my Brompton, with a Uniklip and an Ortlieb shoulder bag which, as I said, was not originally intended as a bike bag:

« Reply #29 on: 07 September, 2021, 10:49:17 am »
Another option is the Lomo rack pack. It is pretty big, waterproof and yellow. And pretty cheap, though maybe a bit more expensive if sending overseas.
The straps attach with clips and velcro. You can leave the base part of the strap on the rack, so should be pretty quick to clip the bag on and off.

This was available through Amazon France but they are out of stock and there doesn't appear to be an alternative french supplier. A pity because the only option appears to be ordering direct from the maker, which might end up expensive on carriage costs. But I do like the look of it!
Have an Ortlieb trunk bag urban, bought for the other half but it was too tall on the rack for her. Its now my rear bag for bike packing , no messing about with straps or velcro. The fixings for the rack top and on the bike.

I'm too poor for Ortlieb kit (and, realistically speaking, there's not a lot of point in buying stuff that will probably outlive my forseeable use)!

I also found this one  https://www.amazon.fr/ROCKBROS-Porte-Bagages-Rangement-Transport-Portable/dp/B07WYGVLWV/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B07WYGVLWV&psc=1  but I don't think it will go on the rack (or at least the front velcros will be fastening on a curve so sub-optimal) and the folding down side pockets will get in the way of my heels.

Close to hitting the button on the 11l Silk Road - the cheapest deal is from a net supplier where I have an account!