Author Topic: RIP Sir Clive Sinclair  (Read 3341 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: RIP Sir Clive Sinclair
« Reply #25 on: 17 September, 2021, 08:44:10 pm »
I remember the purple LED display.  What happened to purple LEDs?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 17 September, 2021, 09:08:57 pm »
I remember the purple LED display.  What happened to purple LEDs?

Last seen on the back of a BSO being ridden the wrong way down King[']s Heath High Street...

ian

« Reply #27 on: 17 September, 2021, 09:11:43 pm »
I think they just stuck a Quality Street wrapper over a normal LED.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #28 on: 17 September, 2021, 09:12:36 pm »
Quote from: CommuteTooFar
... The next I product I knew about was a single board microcomputer ...
Heavens! I'd forgotten all about that. Wasn't that the MK14?  I remember the adverts for it, but I never, ever saw one IRL.

ETA.  Only ever saw one C5.  On the Botley Road in Oxford, getting on for 20 years ago.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #29 on: 17 September, 2021, 09:24:52 pm »
The Velocino in question is still alive and well in Mr Woolrich's Sheds in Exotic Egham.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #30 on: 17 September, 2021, 09:25:06 pm »
I rode a C5 for a short distance in 2002 and I didn’t feel any need to ride it any further. It belonged to a fellow participant in the Golden Jubilee parade. Then-MrsLWaB and I were on Bromptons for that. Mine was borrowed from John 'Pinky' Pinkerton as I didn’t get my first B for another year.

Sinclair’s transport ideas all seemed to suffer from excessive cost-engineering that cancelled out their original purposes. He must have done much better with his electronic endeavours.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #31 on: 17 September, 2021, 09:49:19 pm »
The first Sinclair item I had was in the mid 1970's - a Sinclair Radionics kit which had a multi-purpose circuit board along with various electronic components mounted onto bits of plastic, along with a manual full of different wiring positions telling you what positions to bolt the various components into, to make at least 40 different circuits such as a radio transmitter, tone generator, burglar alarm.   I'm sure playing with that helped me get a C in my 0-level Electronics (everyone else in the class failed).

I got a ZX81 and was very proud of managing to code a working version of Pong in under 1K of memory by using the CODE function in Basic which saved a few bytes of space for each line.

I still remember the pain and anguish caused by the dodgy contacts on the later 16K memory expansion pack, when you lost everything.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #32 on: 17 September, 2021, 10:45:58 pm »
My first computer upgrade was swopping the 1k memory chip on my ZX81 for a pin compatible 2k chip. Still have a nostalgia induced eBay purchased ZX81 somewhere.
What's this bottom line for anyway?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #33 on: 18 September, 2021, 12:06:16 am »
I once rode an A Bike... Only once mind.

I wrote something last night on hearing the news

10 BORDER 0
20 PAPER 0
30 INK 7
40 BRIGHT 1
50 PRINT AT 10,10; "RIP Sir Clive"
60 STOP

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #34 on: 30 September, 2021, 07:52:10 am »
I remember hsving a look at one. Luckily I was too young and poor to afford one.

Later I bought a JVC handheld tv. It was great, and I even used it to see action replays at an FACup final.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 30 September, 2021, 12:39:08 pm »
I saw one in the flesh and working once.  The optics mostly ruined the usually-stunning sharpness of tiny mono CRTs.

Like all portable TVs the reception was terrible.

ian

« Reply #36 on: 30 September, 2021, 01:03:27 pm »
I thought I might have imagined it, but I had a little handheld portable colour TV. Casio I think. It was pretty cool even if it was so small you couldn't quite see what was happening.