Author Topic: I’ve never heard of Terra Vision  (Read 1746 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
I’ve never heard of Terra Vision
« on: 11 October, 2021, 09:06:25 pm »
We’re watching a Netflix thing which is a bit like The Social Network but about Google Earth instead. The claim is that a German team created something called Terra Vision in 93/4 and that the algorithm designer shared his key ideas with a tech guru from Silicon Graphics who latter used this ideas to create Google Earth.

I don’t know what the outcome is yet because we’ve only seen the first two episodes and I’ve never heard of Terra Vision before. But the suggestion seems to be that Google’s moot of Don’t be evil might be just hot air! Surprise.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
Re: I’ve never heard of Terra Vision
« Reply #1 on: 11 October, 2021, 09:54:16 pm »
You're probably too old. (Slight possibility you're too young)

http://terrorvision.com/

The leather trenchcoat, please.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2021, 10:14:40 pm »

Nope, not heard of them either.

Looking at that lot I’d be surprised if I was too young, and given that Bradford was my stamping ground for 10 years or so I’d probably go with too old. But not by much I would have thought.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3 on: 12 October, 2021, 12:31:56 pm »

Oh that's who I thought he was meaning initially

« Reply #4 on: 12 October, 2021, 12:40:24 pm »
We’re watching a Netflix thing which is a bit like The Social Network but about Google Earth instead. The claim is that a German team created something called Terra Vision in 93/4 and that the algorithm designer shared his key ideas with a tech guru from Silicon Graphics who latter used this ideas to create Google Earth.

I don’t know what the outcome is yet because we’ve only seen the first two episodes and I’ve never heard of Terra Vision before. But the suggestion seems to be that Google’s moot of Don’t be evil might be just hot air! Surprise.

That's not how it works.

I've worked in the IP world for, erm, nearly 15 years now.

Here is how it really works:
An individual or team devises something. Say it is a new mapping system.
They will possibly prototype it or just document the concept.
They and lawyers will crawl all over the description, looking for 'novel concepts'. If there are any, then someone writes these up for a patent application.
Maybe there is nothing 'novel' in the system. In that case, they might just go straight to either implementing or touting their system.

If anyone in the initial team discusses the system with someone outside the company; that is it. You've lost rights. The race is then just to the first to implement the system, and the only advantage they have is of being first. Ebay succeeds, not because the concept of an auction site is unique, but because of built customer base.

I've changed employers 3 times in my 15 years. It can get really awkward talking about tech, I worked on things (particularly at Arm) that were confidential and not yet patented. I can't now talk about those to anyone in Xilinx, even if I work there.

It does happen that people open their big gobs. They are usually traced down and, depending on the country in which they reside, hounded through the courts. They are unlikely to ever get work on things touching IP ever again.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #5 on: 12 October, 2021, 12:49:52 pm »
The Netflix thing is fictionalised but my GerMan tells me it is a distillation of things that did happen.

German Wiki is much more extensive: https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Billion_Dollar_Code

German Wiki also has articles on Art+com

Terravision: https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terravision
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #6 on: 12 October, 2021, 01:02:04 pm »
If anyone in the initial team discusses the system with someone outside the company; that is it. You've lost rights.

Unless they've signed appropriate NDAs etc, but I know that's not what you meant  :).
Pen Pusher

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 12 October, 2021, 01:36:21 pm »
I do remember that there was a German effort from the early 90s, but no more than that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8 on: 12 October, 2021, 01:45:22 pm »
I’m sure why had some aerial mapping CD-ROM back when CD-ROMs were a thing. There’s nothing particularly novel about Google Earth.

What’s the claimed unique idea?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #9 on: 12 October, 2021, 01:57:05 pm »
It was that they invented the idea first of flying around the globe and zooming in on places. Before Terra Vision it seems that no-one had the computing power or the concept how to use all these millions of maps and photos at different resolutions and scales and to build them together.

The problem with getting the story from Netflix is that of course it is fictionalised and I don't know what bits are real and what not. However, they used some phrases regularly (which I can't remember, they are technical) which makes me think they were probably part of the real thing.

We watched it in German and there is the impressive lady actress who speaks perfect American and also perfect German. She was in Deutschland 83/86 too. The American lawyer speaks perfect American and German with an American accent.

We both enjoyed it a lot and it was a salutary reminder about how small, disorganised groups can be shafted by bigco.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10 on: 12 October, 2021, 02:09:57 pm »
Just imagining a nineties Google Earth using a 1440 bd modem and dial-up.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 12 October, 2021, 02:23:20 pm »
We watched it in German and there is the impressive lady actress who speaks perfect American and also perfect German. She was in Deutschland 83/86 too. The American lawyer speaks perfect American and German with an American accent.
OT, but this reminds me of watching Polish TV shows with American characters played by Polish actors speaking Polish with exaggerated American accents and the occasional line of American in a perfectly natural Polish accent. Much the same I suppose as as all those British war films with Germans characters played by British actors speaking English in mock-German accents.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 12 October, 2021, 02:44:14 pm »
Just watched half an hour of it, in German. English subtitles were on but I didn't need them.  It's funny, though, when suddenly the dialogue switches to English while I'm listening in German - takes a moment to swap the program.

The subtitles were a little off the mark at times.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13 on: 12 October, 2021, 03:18:28 pm »
The annoying thing is that when they speak English the English subtitles disappear and I’m left wondering if whatever they said was of any importance.

As for the central tenet of the dramatised Netflix version of events, I’m of no doubt that there is a German group who feel aggrieved at Google for stealing their IP, just as I’m reasonably sure that someone, on behalf of Google, did base Google Earth on the Germans work. To what extent and how deep the appropriation goes will only be know for certain by that person at Google. He (for I’m sure it will be a he) may or may not have come up with the same idea as the German guy, or he may have made extensive notes after spending an amount of time with the German and presented that as his design.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #14 on: 12 October, 2021, 03:26:25 pm »
Off topic... It's funny watching subtitled scandi programmes and when scandies from different countries need to talk they switch to  perfect English...

« Reply #15 on: 12 October, 2021, 04:31:43 pm »
I thought this was a thread about Bradford's finest:

https://youtu.be/VOOcJobuZTc
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16 on: 12 October, 2021, 06:45:26 pm »
I thought this was a thread about Bradford's finest:

https://youtu.be/VOOcJobuZTc
we’ve already done that up there ^^^  ;D

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #17 on: 17 October, 2021, 04:31:32 am »

Oh that's who I thought he was meaning initially

Me three