Author Topic: Machynlleth to Ponterwyd advice please  (Read 1412 times)

Machynlleth to Ponterwyd advice please
« on: 23 December, 2021, 04:32:52 pm »
I am trying to plan a route for an Easter Tour between Machynlleth and Devils Bridge and have discovered a road which leads to a track which climbs to 500m and then past Llyn Penrhaeadr before rejoining a road which passes the Nant-y-Moch Reservoir.  I have tried to use Google streetview which is fine until the road ends and then becomes a track.  I was just wondering if anyone here has ever ridden that section and could comment on it.  Thanks.

Re: Machynlleth to Ponterwyd advice please
« Reply #1 on: 23 December, 2021, 06:04:55 pm »
I have done it in the opposite direction. It is doable but involves locked gates and some fairly chunky gravel so probably best avoided on skinny tyres or if you want to avoid lifting the bike.

We were also informed by one of the farm workers that the forest track we descended at the northern end was private. As we had just rejoined the road it didn't cause an issue for us but if you were stopped on the way up it would lead to a fairly long diversion.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35754356

This was the route we took

« Reply #2 on: 23 December, 2021, 07:32:17 pm »
An early off-road guide book based on OS maps - forgotten the name - recommended a classic route on bridleways to the east of the above track.  From Bugeilyn boat house to the derelict farmhouse at Maesnant, emerging on the east side of Nant-y-Moch, it was something of a nightmare, with bogs and a risky stream crossing. I was glad to get out. But it was as wild as you could get.

« Reply #3 on: 24 December, 2021, 09:05:38 am »
It appears that it was once a "White Road" route and therefore open to motorised vehicles. I have seen some reference to that effect.  It obviously wasnt very popular with anyone living around there which probably accounts for the locked gates now.  However, Plotaroute still covers the whole route including the off-road sections so I am tempted to try it.  I may also do a "dummy run" to check it out sooner if we get some decent early Spring weather.  I will then report back here.

« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2022, 12:48:33 pm »
Checked out this route yesterday (in January).

After leaving Machynlleth, there is a left turn off the main A487 road and immediately climbs quite steeply before descending again.  After about another 3 miles the road ends and the track begins by an open gate.  There is a sign to inform others that the track ahead is prohibited to any motor vehicles but nothing else!

A series of hairpin bends soon follows and the climbing begins up to around 500m.  My 34x26 was not low enough and I was soon walking a few of the steeper sections.  34x32 or 34x34 would have been far better suited. There were four gates along the way but none were actually locked.  The surface was easily rideable even on my 25mm tyres.  The section past Llyn Penrhaeadr and Anglers Retreat was a bit boggy in patches but most of the route was surprisingly rideable.