Author Topic: 5G hub with SIM v "normal" broadband  (Read 2582 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: 5G hub with SIM v "normal" broadband
« Reply #25 on: 16 January, 2022, 11:10:56 pm »

I'm only getting about 900Mbit in each direction on my fibre connection...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #26 on: 17 January, 2022, 08:36:56 am »
ICBA to search but when we first moved to Guisborough we had a mobile connection hub while we waited for Open Reach to do their thing. (Mr Smith does our tech, I'm at the age where I don't learn new tricks unless I have to, we don't want to displace those Spice Girls lyrics with anything actually useful.) It was 4G through EE and was absolutely fine- Mr Smith worked off it and I played off it. This was pre-Zwift & PS4 but post-Netflix.

« Reply #27 on: 17 January, 2022, 09:45:21 am »
Jan has recently switched her mobile provide to Three. I've just disconnected her from the wifi and done a speed test: 3.83Mbps download, 9.12Mbps upload. This is counter-intuitive. Is it not normal for download to be lots faster than upload?

I found exactly the same for my mobile signal. Vodafone, patch coverage.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #28 on: 17 January, 2022, 02:30:28 pm »
Well, I have managed to extricate myself from Virgin so far as my mobile is concerned. It took a 48-minute phone call to get a PAC code as someone had put a block on the account. It turned out that the account was marked as "owner deceased". This is somewhat comprehensible as Aunt Phyllis also had a phone numbers on that account and I had to work very hard - and was threatened with bailiffs for not paying her bill - after she died.

A few days ago filled in some stuff with Uswitch and on the strength of it received a call from some guy in Yorkshire who gave his opinion that EE were the best service provider around at the moment, so I've set up an account with them for £20 a month. This is not unlimited data (that would have cost over £40 with them) so I will have to keep an eye on stuff. Jan's account with Three has unlimited data for when we are out and about, so if we need a hotspot we will have to use her phone.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.