Author Topic: The Oscars  (Read 4301 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
The Oscars
« on: 28 March, 2022, 07:20:58 am »
Sky will have it as £15 PPV next year!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60897004
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: The Oscars
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2022, 08:08:36 am »
They'd have to pay me much more than that to make me watch it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2022, 08:48:39 am »
Kudos to the Graun: they left all the words in.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2022, 09:19:51 am »
Is there any rational person listening to the "LEAD STORY" today that isn't thinking "Kayfabe"? Except of course for 100% of the talking heads and 95% of the audience. Asking for a friend.

« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2022, 09:35:48 am »
I read a news article about it. My feelings? Chris rock is a bit of a dick and I can't really blame Will Smith for slapping him
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 28 March, 2022, 09:40:21 am »
^ this.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #6 on: 28 March, 2022, 10:16:06 am »
Yup, it's still ok in 2022 for one man to hit another man to defend a woman's honour.

« Reply #7 on: 28 March, 2022, 10:19:32 am »
Can't help thinking there's going to be some hard talk in the Smith household; he is visibly laughing off Rock's jibe while she has a face like thunder.  Presumably off-camera there is a moment where he turns to her and sees that she ain't amused...

« Reply #8 on: 28 March, 2022, 10:59:52 am »
"Keep my wife's name out of your fucking mouth"

« Reply #9 on: 28 March, 2022, 11:02:03 am »
 ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10 on: 28 March, 2022, 11:34:10 am »
"Keep my wife's name out of your fucking mouth"

Is he doing that thigh-rubbing thing pioneered by Vic Reeves on Shooting Stars?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 28 March, 2022, 01:31:29 pm »
I read a news article about it. My feelings? Chris rock is a bit of a dick and I can't really blame Will Smith for slapping him

Yes.

MrsT says to me "I hope you would".  What, thready-bicepsed decrepit me? Er yes, of course, my dear.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #12 on: 28 March, 2022, 07:12:18 pm »
The splendid irony of people supporting a man hitting someone because they said something they didn't like – well, isn't that a rather literal take on domestic violence.

In other news, had it happened under the Met's jurisdiction, they'd be trying to identify any of the attendees.

« Reply #13 on: 28 March, 2022, 07:25:49 pm »
If you’re going to use a paid for, very public platform to insult someone’s medical condition you can fuck off.
If you’re going to get physical, then a single slap is pretty restrained. If you can restrain yourself to that degree then keep at it, and stick to words. Or encourage Mrs Smith to have him on her own account.

« Reply #14 on: 28 March, 2022, 07:38:01 pm »
It's possible that Rock was unaware of JP Smith' s medical condition (was it generally known? I don't follow that stuff).  If he was, he was certainly asking for trouble but that doesn't excuse W Smith's reaction - maybe he really thinks he is Ali?  As for his spawn's pathetic "That's how we do things" - a massive step forward for progress against "entitlement - not.

ian

« Reply #15 on: 28 March, 2022, 07:41:58 pm »
If you’re going to use a paid for, very public platform to insult someone’s medical condition you can fuck off.
If you’re going to get physical, then a single slap is pretty restrained. If you can restrain yourself to that degree then keep at it, and stick to words. Or encourage Mrs Smith to have him on her own account.

That's cool though, it's fine to give the wife or girlfriend a slap, after all, it's not like you're hitting her properly. Besides, she made you do it.

Honestly, sometimes it's like I get out of the wrong side of the bed and step into an alternate universe.

« Reply #16 on: 28 March, 2022, 07:49:31 pm »
That's two of us, then Ian.  I don't know which I find more depressing: that a self-entitled celebrity can lose control and protect his manhood (because that's what it was about, really) with gratuitous violence or that people who are presumably at at least one remove from the action and presumably "in control" can think it's ok.

rogerzilla

« Reply #17 on: 28 March, 2022, 08:51:54 pm »
The fact that it was two (formerly) successful black men fighting is a little bonus for the racists.  "Look, I told you they were only savages in tuxedos".  Conveniently ignoring the fact that hundreds of white men fight and glass each other every Friday night up and down Britain, and probably over lesser slights than Rock's.

« Reply #18 on: 28 March, 2022, 08:59:41 pm »

That's cool though, it's fine to give the wife or girlfriend a slap, after all, it's not like you're hitting her properly. Besides, she made you do it.

Honestly, sometimes it's like I get out of the wrong side of the bed and step into an alternate universe.

I thought I was mostly agreeing with you. My point being that if you can hold back a bit, you can hold back.

Maybe I needed a smiley on goading his wife to give Rock a kicking. That's more of a Croydon on Friday night vibe.

« Reply #19 on: 28 March, 2022, 09:02:15 pm »
The fact that it was two (formerly) successful black men fighting is a little bonus for the racists.  "Look, I told you they were only savages in tuxedos".  Conveniently ignoring the fact that hundreds of white men fight and glass each other every Friday night up and down Britain, and probably over lesser slights than Rock's.

Yep - and they are wrong, too!  (The brawlers, I mean  - I agree about the "field day for racists" stuff.)

ian

« Reply #20 on: 28 March, 2022, 09:06:50 pm »
Sorry, I misinterpreted.

I can't say I follow the Oscars, but the big manhug between Samuel J. and Denzil was a lot nicer.

A former boss of mine had alopecia, she used to whip off her wig in restaurants when the server wasn't looking so they'd turn around do a WTF. She once claimed in a Korean bbq place that she'd burned her hair off. She didn't mind if people thought she had cancer if it got her a discount. People can and do laugh about this shit.

« Reply #21 on: 28 March, 2022, 09:18:44 pm »
I don't know when roasting the guests at these types of events became a thing, but maybe they should just go a back to the old days when the host would just tell a few shite jokes and the recipients of the awards made tits of themselves with their acceptance speaches, rather than by twating the host...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

rogerzilla

« Reply #22 on: 28 March, 2022, 09:23:31 pm »
I'm not sure that a sobbing Gwyneth Paltrow was preferable to a spot of light pagga.

« Reply #23 on: 28 March, 2022, 10:10:41 pm »
Roger, I wanna thank you for that perceptive remark - and to all the rest of you who've commented on here, I don't know where I'd be without you, or where any of us would be without our fabulous industry, and our parents (God, they're so beautiful - and so is God) nand can I just add ...
.....................................................  mwa!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #24 on: 28 March, 2022, 10:49:25 pm »
I don't know when roasting the guests at these types of events became a thing, but maybe they should just go a back to the old days when the host would just tell a few shite jokes and the recipients of the awards made tits of themselves with their acceptance speaches, rather than by twating the host...

It was that self-important cunt from The Office.
It is simpler than it looks.