Author Topic: The Oscars  (Read 4336 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The Oscars
« Reply #25 on: 28 March, 2022, 10:53:09 pm »
Was it just me that thought that it looked like acting then?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #26 on: 28 March, 2022, 10:58:45 pm »
That pillock in The Office may have looked like acting, but it wasn’t.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 28 March, 2022, 11:21:56 pm »

I've just watched the clip a few times in slow motion, and am inclined to agree.  Got to do something to get in the news...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #28 on: 29 March, 2022, 07:12:28 am »
You don't drop the F-bomb on live TV (OK, they'd cut the feed by then) as a career-boosting move.

It seems Will Smith laughed initially, J P Smith strongly expressed her disapproval and may have suggested getting up there and doing something about it.  At which point testosterone took over.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #29 on: 29 March, 2022, 08:38:31 am »
I've just watched the clip a few times in slow motion, and am inclined to agree.  Got to do something to get in the news...

And distract everyone from Putin...

ian

« Reply #30 on: 29 March, 2022, 09:34:50 am »
I did a reverse image search on google and found a lot of evidence that both parties involved have appeared as actors in many similar scenes previously. Do the research, people. #CrisisActors

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #31 on: 29 March, 2022, 04:43:44 pm »
I did a reverse image search on google and found a lot of evidence that both parties involved have appeared as actors in many similar scenes previously. Do the research, people. #CrisisActors
;D

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #32 on: 29 March, 2022, 08:21:18 pm »
Black women have some good takes on this, basically there's nuance and layers here involving racism, ableism and sexism.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/29/opinion/culture/will-smith-oscars-roxane-gay.html

ian

« Reply #33 on: 29 March, 2022, 08:40:19 pm »
I'm not entirely sure if that article is a parody or not. Every day that becomes a little bit more difficult to tell. It's a sort of woke-word bingo that I suspect is either written by right-wing agitators or some kind of bot.

barakta

« Reply #34 on: 29 March, 2022, 08:46:56 pm »
Google Roxanne Gay. She's a well respected black female commentator.

ian

« Reply #35 on: 29 March, 2022, 08:55:53 pm »
Yeah, but that's how they do. Construct a fake identity, build a backstory. I doubt she's real.

« Reply #36 on: 29 March, 2022, 10:04:47 pm »

« Reply #37 on: 30 March, 2022, 10:48:30 am »
Have we had this?:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-60910879

Maybe I'm being a bit boring, but I think if the "comedy" consists of insulting people in the audience until one of them loses it and then having to employ security staff to restrain the insulted one, then you maybe ought to reconsider the entertainment.

ian

« Reply #38 on: 30 March, 2022, 12:11:32 pm »
The tradition of a thorough roasting goes back to olden times. It's not exactly a new thing (see also every best man speech ever).

Have some people ever left the house, been to a wedding, read a book, been to a comedy gig? From a brief glance at social media, I think that's all some people do.

« Reply #39 on: 30 March, 2022, 12:17:07 pm »
It's not exactly a new thing (see also every best man speech ever).

Um, not really true.  Gentle ribbing, sure.  Outright piss-taking of medical condition, clearly not.

ian

« Reply #40 on: 30 March, 2022, 12:21:29 pm »
You evidently haven't been to the weddings I've been to.

« Reply #41 on: 30 March, 2022, 03:54:47 pm »

Um, not really true.  Gentle ribbing, sure.  Outright piss-taking of medical condition, clearly not.

I've mentioned earlier that I didn't know whether Chris Rock was aware of the medical condition or not.  I've not seen anything since that suggests che did, or he didn't.  If he didn't then he was simply making a reference to Demi Moore in some earlier, pretty insignificant film, whose name I forget.  Does anyone know?

barakta

« Reply #42 on: 30 March, 2022, 04:01:23 pm »
Chris Rock made a documentary about black women and their hair... Therefore REALLY ought to have known better than to mock a black woman for her hair (to get at her husband). Apparently Chris Rock has form for nasty comments about Smith and his wife - which may be in part cos they live our weird-life stuff in the public eye...

barakta

« Reply #43 on: 30 March, 2022, 04:02:02 pm »
Yeah, but that's how they do. Construct a fake identity, build a backstory. I doubt she's real.

???

I'd heard of Roxanne Gay a long time before this kerfuffle. I don't quite understand you or if you're kinda taking the piss a bit.

ian

« Reply #44 on: 30 March, 2022, 04:04:01 pm »

I've mentioned earlier that I didn't know whether Chris Rock was aware of the medical condition or not.  I've not seen anything since that suggests che did, or he didn't.  If he didn't then he was simply making a reference to Demi Moore in some earlier, pretty insignificant film, whose name I forget.  Does anyone know?

Who cares. Bald people are inherently funny. If they don't like it, that's why God invented wigs. No one laughs at people in wigs, not at all. Anyone who claims otherwise is fabricating the evidence.

« Reply #45 on: 30 March, 2022, 04:31:15 pm »
Chris Rock made a documentary about black women and their hair... Therefore REALLY ought to have known better than to mock a black woman for her hair (to get at her husband). Apparently Chris Rock has form for nasty comments about Smith and his wife - which may be in part cos they live our weird-life stuff in the public eye...

I didn't know that.

« Reply #46 on: 30 March, 2022, 04:44:29 pm »

Who cares. Bald people are inherently funny. If they don't like it, that's why God invented wigs. No one laughs at people in wigs, not at all. Anyone who claims otherwise is fabricating the evidence.

You are taking the Michael with this, Ian.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #47 on: 30 March, 2022, 06:18:41 pm »

Who cares. Bald people are inherently funny. If they don't like it, that's why God invented wigs. No one laughs at people in wigs, not at all. Anyone who claims otherwise is fabricanting the evidence.

FTFY
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #48 on: 30 March, 2022, 06:22:34 pm »
Yeah...err...oh never mind

ian

« Reply #49 on: 30 March, 2022, 08:16:23 pm »
I was trying not to be too obvious, my art is subtly.