Author Topic: Outdooractive  (Read 1519 times)

Outdooractive
« on: 30 April, 2022, 02:04:37 pm »
We've been using this app for a while now and while it works well enough following a route plotted online, after downloading the route and maps and running in offline mode, it is crap just using it as a moving map and/or in tracking mode.  The screen continually goes black (yes the option is set to keep it alive) and after being woken up will usually end up with the map zoomed in and upside down.  Screen icons appear and dissapear and there is no set way to get them back, sometimes it's a full screen map, other times it has icons all over it with upper and lower bars as well.  It is also so bloated that most actions take forever to happen.

Just a moan really.

Re: Outdooractive
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2022, 08:38:20 pm »
I didn't get on with it either.
Currently having a go with OsmAnd which is a bit of a learning curve but so far hasn't had any issues that weren't user error...
I'm a long term Garmin user, but my current one is on the way out and I'm trying to decide if an App will replace it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2022, 11:43:45 pm »
I keep being underwhelmed by it, especially the partially arsed offline mode.  Viewranger wasn't always intuitive, but it was functional.

OSMand is great (if complex), but it isn't a substitute for an OS map.

« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2022, 07:42:43 pm »
We keep trying with it.  Last ride went really well until the phone kept going to sleep.  Explanation below.  I used it to follow a route, not as a navigation device, just as I did VR.  Create plan and then turn it into a route online and then syncronise the phone if you can find the button!  Find the route and it will be displayed on the map.  Download the map tiles. Then, if again you can find the button, select offline mode, I have a suspicion that it is only there in nav mode.  (That said we rode in online mode and there was no data usage so maybe it knows the map tiles are local?) Do not select nav or tracking just touch the location icon, lower left and the map will centre on your position and annoyingly zoom in.  A two finger tap will zoom out.  A single finger double tap will zoom in.  And as we have just found a single finger single tap will make the map go full screen.  Brill.  However if in zooming in or out you knock the screen off centre then the phone will go to sleep after a short while.  As we now have a full screen map with no icons it's no longer as easy as touching the location icon which in any case will mean going through the zooming in palaver.

Hope this helps someone and that the eggs taste great Grandma.