Author Topic: What is the current favourite GPS?  (Read 10666 times)

What is the current favourite GPS?
« on: 07 May, 2022, 10:25:42 pm »
Strava on my phone keeps crashing so I want a new GPS for the bikes. My previous one was a Garmin Edge Touring which did what I needed at the time but has got more temperamental as Time has Passed.

I want:

• a nice clear map
  • easy to upload routes for the technologically challenged
  • easy to upload rides to strava etc, without plugging in to a computer

I'm not interested in:

• Heart rate monitor
  • Training or competitive stuff
  • What anyone else is doing
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: What is the current favourite GPS?
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2022, 10:28:25 pm »
I've got an Edge Explore. Haven't had it very long. Not really made friends with it. I think it can do techy things that are beyond my comprehension. There's a thread about it somewhere.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2022, 10:34:25 pm »
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=119689.0

There.

I haven't really used it often enough to learn how to do it. My new Behemoth bike has its own Bosch satnav/computer/cockpit/controller which is trivially easy to use. If you'd like a play with the Edge Explore to see how you get on with it, you can borrow it for a while if you like.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #3 on: 07 May, 2022, 10:38:22 pm »
I use Wahoo Elemnt Bolt - but maps are only black and white. Maybe an element Roam would suit?

You can ignore the heart rate etc.

Speaks to Strava via wifi through a smartphone app.

Routes transferred via phone app from RWGPS. All routes show on the GPS unit as long as they haven't been archived.

For map detail I use an Etrex - but need to plug into pc for data transfer.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2022, 10:42:35 pm »
easy to upload rides to strava etc, without plugging in to a computer

This neatly rules out the eTrex series, unless you invoke the Android + OTG cable technicality.

I'd suggest that the current eTrex also fails to meet the standard of 'nice clear map', as demonstrated in this thread.  The Edge 830 looks much better in that respect.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #5 on: 07 May, 2022, 11:42:35 pm »
I have the Garmin edge explore also.
Main use at the minute is to just record my rides to and from work, which it does via Bluetooth to the Garmin Connect app on my phone which then auto uploads to Strava.
GPX files for rides can also be loaded fairly quickly from Ridewithgps or other route planners.

« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2022, 12:00:50 am »
Strong rumours that new Garmin Edge 540, 840 & 1040 devices will be released in the next month (or two, early June is firming as likely), the x30s were released 3 years ago so technology has moved on a little, much speculation but no details, keep an eye on DC Rainmaker reviews perhaps, my "maturing" eyes are gravitating towards the bigger screen model (ie 1030) but they are oh so expensive. If the x40s have nothing new to tempt you then at least the x30s will be discounted to clear old stock.

I have a 530 (and have had 200, 510, 520 in last decade), the 530 has a very clear but fairly small screen and has great battery life, I can get over 40 hours without too much feature compromises. With hindsight I would buy the touch screen user interface models (830,1030) rather than 530s button UI. The Garmins have been let down a bit in recent years by poor software, the developers ( or their managers) just don't seem to understand what makes a good cycling device and have lost the art of testing. Stay tuned I guess.

If like me and you don't use 80% of the features it takes a little digging to turn off the unused stuff so it doesn't annoy you for years to come but worth it.

« Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2022, 07:08:30 am »
I have a Garmin 1030 Plus which I bought with a 30% from Garmin. My old Edge Touring Plus
froze, and no amount of attempts to re-boot it could kick it in life. Garmin said they didn't have
any reconditioned models, so offered me the discount if I returned the faulty Edge model to them.

I'm extremely happy with the 1030 Plus and its long battery life (even with hrm, speed/cadence
sensors and other stuff working/switched on).

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2022, 07:44:47 am »
Long-time Garmin user here - from yellow eTrex to current 1000x whatever - having "experienced" friends and customers with their disappointing non-Garmin devices I would strongly recommend sticking to the best Garmin you can afford (and I agree with your comment about not wanting all the competitive/health performance crap!)

« Reply #9 on: 08 May, 2022, 08:00:53 am »
The explore version tends to be the less training orientated version.
All garmins with Bluetooth or wifi will download routes automatically from ridewithgps, Komoot and I think Strava. In ridewithgps you simply pin the route and next time the device syncs it downloads.

Uploading is equally trivial.
The only catch is that Garmin connect app has to be active for syncing to happen via Bluetooth.

All the fields on the screens are customisable. If you do not pair a hrm or a power meter then you do not need to show such screens.

Do look at hammerhead Karoo. Based on android and getting really good reviews from dcrainmaker.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #10 on: 08 May, 2022, 11:13:23 am »
I think they’re all fairly similar for what you need. For example chrisbainbridge’s description could equally apply to a Wahoo each one has its quirks and flaws and I expect everyone to recommend what they currently use. So my vote would go to Wahoo.

I expect they’ll all come with heart rate/fitness features but you can ignore those; best plan would be to play with some and see how much you like them.

What is the current favourite GPS?
« Reply #11 on: 08 May, 2022, 11:38:15 am »
I’ve used several, from a variety of brands (Bryton, Garmin, Polar & Wahoo) and keep coming back to Garmin.

Currently use a Garmin Edge 1030.

A lot of the others are either lacking in infrastructure or I feel like they get released way too early and users end up being beta testers (Bryton & Wahoo, I’m looking in your direction particularly on the second point).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 08 May, 2022, 11:48:13 am »
Strava on my phone keeps crashing so I want a new GPS for the bikes. My previous one was a Garmin Edge Touring which did what I needed at the time but has got more temperamental as Time has Passed.

I want:

• a nice clear map
  • easy to upload routes for the technologically challenged
  • easy to upload rides to strava etc, without plugging in to a computer

I'm not interested in:

• Heart rate monitor
  • Training or competitive stuff
  • What anyone else is doing

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. (version 2 these days).

Great screen, can make it auto upload to strava when you get home and it gets wifi. Auto syncs routes from strava (if enabled), easy to load GPX's on with the phone app.

I have been on an audax where I picked up 3 other riders who had all had failures of their GPS devices (one phone, 2 garmin). Between the 4 of us we only had 2 working GPS devices, the one on my handlebars, and the spare in my saddle bag.

Cannot commend it highly enough.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #13 on: 08 May, 2022, 01:06:29 pm »
I’ve used several, from a variety of brands (Bryton, Garmin, Polar & Wahoo) and keep coming back to Garmin.

Currently use a Garmin Edge 1030.

A lot of the others are either lacking in infrastructure or I feel like they get released way too early and users end up being beta testers (Bryton & Wahoo, I’m looking in your direction particularly on the second point).

Yep - my experience with (borrowed) Bryton & Wahoo gadgets were beyond disappointing  (Wahoo got us completely lost in the depths of Poland!!)

« Reply #14 on: 08 May, 2022, 01:57:24 pm »
After being disillusioned with multiple Garmin devices over the years, I switched to the Wahoo Bolt about 5 years ago, and wouldn’t consider changing.

You can setup the routing workflow in many ways. I tend to sync with RWGPS, which has the added advantage that when an organiser shares a RWGPS route of their event, I can just ‘pin’ it in RWGPS and it‘’ll appear on my Bolt. No need to download or copy it, and by unpinning it after the event, it’ll get removed from the Bolt.

I’ve had no issues with route finding across Germany, Czech Republic, Poland, Italy, South Korea or UK.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #15 on: 08 May, 2022, 03:07:24 pm »
Interesting thread. My Edge Touring Plus is still working fine, but I do wonder if I might be forced to upgrade some time. I tend to stick with Garmin - I use Connect and, whilst I think it would work with other makes, it just seems easier to use one brand.

I'm irritated that there are things that try to force you to move on between generations before you're ready though. I've got a Garmin Fenix watch, which links to some sensors on my bike when the GPS doesn't. That can lead to Connect getting two recordings for the same ride. Why can't Connect work out for itself that two rides over the same route at the same time must be the same ride, instead of giving me two that are somewhat differing versions?

« Reply #16 on: 08 May, 2022, 04:08:43 pm »
You can setup the routing workflow in many ways.
Most modern units will allow you to set up the routing workflow in many ways.

I have waaayyyy too many GPS sports tracking devices (16 watches and 3 bike units) from Coros, Garmin, Polar, Suunto and Tomtom. All but the 5 oldest units do not support routing and the remaining 14 can draw in from multiple sources easily.

« Reply #17 on: 08 May, 2022, 04:59:53 pm »
I bobbled around for years wondering whether to bother with a satnav for the bike, and bought a second hand SatMap Active 10. That is its own little niche and I wouldn't recommend for bike use.

That did whet the appetite, and after reading a few reviews and had borne the brunt of friends' Garmins doing bizarre things I plumped for an Elemnt Roam. About the only thing DC Rainmaker had against it was that he considered it pricey for what it offered.

What swayed me was review after review that said something along the lines of "It just works", and I can wholeheartedly agree with that. It's a delightfully simple piece of kit to set up and does (I'm pretty sure) all that you want of it.

Def worth a look.

Rust never sleeps

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #18 on: 08 May, 2022, 05:58:39 pm »
I've had the Edge 1030 since it came out, and still have an Edge 1000 as back-up. I've had a load of GPS devices since my first, a Lowrance fishing device which I bought in the early 1990s (and still have - and it still works!). The 1030's screen is great - far better than previous generations of Garmin. I'm not a great fan of the Wahoo devices, but many people absolutely love them - but the screens are generally fairly small. DCRainmaker suggests that a number of new devices are scheduled for release in the near future, which would mean that there may be some very nice discounts to be had on the devices being replaced. Keep your eyes open!

« Reply #19 on: 08 May, 2022, 06:48:04 pm »
I know lots of people with lots of different flavours of GPS, it appears to me that 50% struggle with any particular flavour, of GPS.
I have a Garmin (edge explore currently, several retired working models too, had a 605 die) and I have few if any problems, however some friends also with Edge Explore (+ same software) really struggle, about half of Wahoo owners hate them, and slightly more hate Bryton...

I think the problem is OE*

*Operator Error!

« Reply #20 on: 08 May, 2022, 07:18:06 pm »
I'm using a garmin explore and it does all I need. Run time is a little disappointing but that may be the way I have it set up. I'm no expert   :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #21 on: 08 May, 2022, 07:52:43 pm »
I have an eTrex brick which won’t meet your non technical, easy to load, no plugging in requirement.

« Reply #22 on: 09 May, 2022, 09:58:38 am »
With my trike Garmin edge explore, for geocaching my Garmin emap over 22 years old with nice big screen

« Reply #23 on: 09 May, 2022, 04:06:22 pm »
Do any of these devices recommended here allow you to follow a route but without the navigation function? Effectively just a moving map but with the route that has been downloaded to the device displayed on it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24 on: 09 May, 2022, 04:50:31 pm »
I think that's the default mode for the eTrexes.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.