Author Topic: A tent designed by & for women.  (Read 9219 times)

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
Re: A tent designed by & for women.
« Reply #25 on: 20 July, 2022, 10:42:06 am »
Well I do have a big birthday coming up!

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #26 on: 16 August, 2022, 11:29:07 am »
I've sold one of my tents and a few other bits so I think I'm going to try this one. Reckon it will be perfect for when I'm alone or with the dog.

It improves on all the things that aren't ideal about my Decathlon MSR knock-off (too much mesh for cooler weather, pitches inner first, and on the heavy side). It's not as light as the tent I've sold, but I don't think I've got the patience/skills to get the pitch just right on that one (especially if weather is bad or midges are attacking) and spent a noisy night in it at the weekend (my usually trusty earplugs were not enough) despite the breeze only being light, which finally made my mind up to get rid and try something different.

« Reply #27 on: 05 September, 2022, 10:09:04 am »
I got one and used it this weekend with the dog on a section of the north downs way.

It was plenty big enough for me, the dog and my rucksack. I took some photos but have never been much good at posting them here especially as I don't uoload them to anywhere like flickr now. I also took some videos and when I've edited them together I'll stick the link here.

It didn't get much of a test weatherwise as it was a dry night with little breeze, but it was a humid, dewy night and there wasn't much condensation inside with both vents open in the fly.

Very easy to put up; some guy expressed surprise that I'd finished putting it up by the time he came back from the showers  ::-) but that was probably just your everyday casual sexism.

Vestibule is just about big enough to cook in very carefully, I think.

I've strung a little washing line up from the loops inside which also holds a tiny set of AA powered fairy lights which give off a lovely low scattered light which is just what you need just before bed.

« Reply #28 on: 07 September, 2022, 02:53:16 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rUynuX-BXw if you'd like to see a few shots of the tent being used in anger (admittedly not in terribly challenging weather conditions).

From around 2.30 if you want to skip the 'dog in a buggy comedy off-roading' content (the dog *can* walk, but not 12 miles, and also overheats faster than a four-legged dog, and it was a very humid weekend)

« Reply #29 on: 07 September, 2022, 03:31:31 pm »
I got one and used it this weekend with the dog on a section of the north downs way.

Cool - will be good to see how it beds in as you use it more and get used to it. Thanks for sharing the video.

The buggy's a neat solution  ;D

« Reply #30 on: 07 September, 2022, 05:15:52 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rUynuX-BXw if you'd like to see a few shots of the tent being used in anger (admittedly not in terribly challenging weather conditions).

From around 2.30 if you want to skip the 'dog in a buggy comedy off-roading' content (the dog *can* walk, but not 12 miles, and also overheats faster than a four-legged dog, and it was a very humid weekend)
If your buggy wheels are all plastic, then furniture polish  - like Pledge - or any which contains silicone, will keep them silent.
If you've already put oil in there, then you could probably do with getting rid of that. Douse where you put the oil using Fairy Liquid or similar, rinse through with a garden hose  and repeat a couple of times. Let them dry and apply the Pledge.

ETA - you'll most likely need to re-apply the Pledge, after you've been out in the rain.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #31 on: 07 September, 2022, 05:21:06 pm »
I’m still trying to get my head around what features a tent needs for female specific occupation. The only things I’ve come up with would get me a slap from Dr Beardy should I mention them, so I won’t.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 07 September, 2022, 05:36:10 pm »
The closest thing to female-specific tent features I can think of are being Not Cold, and perhaps being the wrong shape for tall people.  Not that the latter isn't a staple of small tents generally.

'Designed by women' is fair enough, of course.

But mostly, it's going to be marketing.

« Reply #33 on: 07 September, 2022, 06:51:30 pm »
Ease of getting in and out in the dark for a nighttime toilet trip? That feels like the sort of thing that might not be given much thought by a younger man, but be everyday to many women.

I suspect pockets deserve a mention too.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 07 September, 2022, 08:55:14 pm »
I suspect pockets deserve a mention too.

:D :thumbsup:

« Reply #35 on: 08 September, 2022, 10:08:39 am »

If your buggy wheels are all plastic, then furniture polish  - like Pledge - or any which contains silicone, will keep them silent.
If you've already put oil in there, then you could probably do with getting rid of that. Douse where you put the oil using Fairy Liquid or similar, rinse through with a garden hose  and repeat a couple of times. Let them dry and apply the Pledge.

ETA - you'll most likely need to re-apply the Pledge, after you've been out in the rain.

Thanks Jurek. They are plastic, with EFA tyres (mixed feelings about those).

BUT. I don't think it's the wheels. I think it's the suspension, which has a rubber cover over it. The squeaking only happens over rough ground, and if you keep the buggy still and bounce it.

So not sure the advice still stands?

(It's a shame it's not the wheels as they are designed to come off and apart easily and would be easier to deal with).

I don't really buy the 'for women' thing either. I bought it because it overcomes the issues I have with the MSR Hubba tents (pitches all in one, mostly solid inner, fly comes down to ground) and because 1.5 people is basically me and the dog.

And because I had a bad time with a more lightweight tent that required a perfect pitch while wildcamping in rocky Dartmoor, and didn't sleep all night for the flapping even with ear plugs in what was really a very light breeze. I came straight home and sold it, having had many hours overnight to consider and resolve to.

« Reply #36 on: 08 September, 2022, 10:20:30 am »
What is the headroom like? From the video, it looks like sitting up could be a challenge.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #37 on: 08 September, 2022, 10:48:29 am »
Well, I can sit up with room to spare. I'm 5'9 with a long torso. I'll try to remember to film that next time I use it.

My friend (with the Vango Nevis in the video that she can never quite be bothered to put up properly  ;D) commented that it looked like much more headroom than hers. It's definitely more headroom than the single-hoop Vaude Power Lizard that I sold.

I ended up spending a few hours in it in the evening, because the dog is like a budgie who tends to be quiet and go to sleep once you zip the tent up, and she had been finding the site getting busier in the evening a bit much, and it was fine.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #38 on: 08 September, 2022, 11:10:23 am »
Tents which require a perfect pitch are a pain.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 08 September, 2022, 11:31:15 am »
Excellent name though.

There's certainly a knack to pitching an Akto, but the single-end-pole derivatives seem to multiply the fussiness, particularly if the ground isn't flat (I'm glaring at you, Terra Nova).  Which seems to be the worst of both worlds; if you're going to have to faff around, you might as well have a self-supporting tent like the Bella that will pitch properly on pretty much any surface at the end of it.

« Reply #40 on: 08 September, 2022, 11:56:04 am »
Excellent name though.

There's certainly a knack to pitching an Akto, but the single-end-pole derivatives seem to multiply the fussiness, particularly if the ground isn't flat (I'm glaring at you, Terra Nova).  Which seems to be the worst of both worlds; if you're going to have to faff around, you might as well have a self-supporting tent like the Bella that will pitch properly on pretty much any surface at the end of it.

Quite. I've pitched the Power Lizard at least half a dozen times and it's hardly ever been right apart from once when I had a pitch that was both perfectly flat and easy to get all the pegs in. Reviews suggest I'm not alone. It's not ideal if it's either raining or you're under attack by midges and just want the thing pitched.

The tiny-packing, light trekking-pole tents like the Durston X-mid look great in terms of saving weight and pack size but I worry they'd be the same in terms of pitching faff.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #41 on: 08 September, 2022, 12:00:06 pm »
Having now used free standing tents for,over 30 years, I don’t think I could go back to a tent that needed holding up. The ability to erect the tent and THEN find the best place and orientation is just too convenient. And of course, not having a pole to dodge around makes getting in and out a whole lot easier.

I still prefer a proper geodesic pole configuration to simple hoops, but pop up tents, when car camping, add such a great level of convenience, I can overlook that (and of course, I’ll have a car to hide in if the weather gets serious).
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 08 September, 2022, 12:18:03 pm »
Having had plenty of practice, and some tips early on from seasoned users, I find the Akto works well for me most of the time.  Assuming the ground is cooperative, in the event of a thunderstorm or midge attack, I can get it pitched in about a minute or so and dive in, and tweak the tension later without moving the pegs, which is great.  And of course it's lovely and warm, and has no fear of strong wind.  Headroom, on the other hand, is best described as 'adequate' - the Bella looks like a real improvement in that regard, if you want to do more in a sitting position than just get changed.

Obviously a free-standing tent is a huge win when the ground isn't level or peg-friendly.  Or if you need to relocate to a different part of the field for hydrologial or entomological reasons.

Only briefly being a car-owner, I've not really used pop-up tents, other than the BHPC's timing tent, which works well for that specific use-case (keeps sun and rain off the electronics, fast pitching on ground that isn't always receptive to pegs, standing room, visibility out three sides).

« Reply #43 on: 08 September, 2022, 12:28:27 pm »

Thanks Jurek. They are plastic, with EFA tyres (mixed feelings about those).

BUT. I don't think it's the wheels. I think it's the suspension, which has a rubber cover over it. The squeaking only happens over rough ground, and if you keep the buggy still and bounce it.

So not sure the advice still stands?

(It's a shame it's not the wheels as they are designed to come off and apart easily and would be easier to deal with).

I don't really buy the 'for women' thing either. I bought it because it overcomes the issues I have with the MSR Hubba tents (pitches all in one, mostly solid inner, fly comes down to ground) and because 1.5 people is basically me and the dog.

And because I had a bad time with a more lightweight tent that required a perfect pitch while wildcamping in rocky Dartmoor, and didn't sleep all night for the flapping even with ear plugs in what was really a very light breeze. I came straight home and sold it, having had many hours overnight to consider and resolve to.

Yep. Spray the suspension parts with furniture polish.

« Reply #44 on: 27 November, 2022, 02:43:45 pm »
It looks like the criteria that makes it women specific are the same as most lightweight,  wild ampersand want. Imho it is like most lightweight tents that get the lightweight by taking a decent tent design and making it smaller. That might work for a majority of women due to shorter height compared to men but obviously not all. IMHO short doesn't make it women specific just shorter person  specific.  I know enough men for whom this tent would be good and a few women it would be useless for.

Marketing spiel is a bit daft. There's no such thing as women specific criteria for tents,  they're a general product that either suits your needs or not and a lot of those needs,  if not all,  are not women specific. How many men want a tent that's not light, spacious, quick pitching,  smalln pack size,  etc? That's just a list of criteria most backpackers look for in a tent. How can that be women specific? The only specific thing is they asked a few backpacking people for feedback on tent design and they happened to be women.

A good tent though.  Too short for me but then most lightweight tents are.  Laser series, even atko was too snug for me.  Preferred 240cm length. Height is irrelevant since no tent is high enough including an ultra or super quasar. This isn't tall at 95cm internal,  I've got a 3 man that weighs 3kg and about v110cm internal. I'm stooped in that and generally only lie down in it. Helps to have 230 or 240 cm internal length.

« Reply #45 on: 28 November, 2022, 10:01:18 am »
I can report it kept out about eight hours of sustained rain weekend before last (1am to just after 8am).

And zero condensation in the inner (though it was just me breathing in there that time, the dog wasn't there for that one given her stance on rain). I kept both vents open despite it going down to about 4 degrees which seemed to work.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #46 on: 10 January, 2023, 05:54:30 pm »

Seems this tent is out of stock everywhere. I hope this doesn't mean it's being discontinued :(

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

ravenbait

• No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #47 on: 10 January, 2023, 08:25:36 pm »
The tab I've had sitting open for several months while trying to create enough slack in my outgoings says more on the way.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #48 on: 13 January, 2023, 10:48:19 pm »

I got a reply from the manufacturer. They are having supply chain issues with the poles, they expect the tent to be available again in the summer.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/