Author Topic: What to do with a worn out tent  (Read 3723 times)

What to do with a worn out tent
« on: 28 May, 2022, 10:58:44 am »
Got our smaller family tent out for a garden camp out, it's not been out for a few years as we have a bigger one

It's fair to say it's a long way past its best. A few possibly repairable holes, the storm flap round the doors ripped where ita been caught in the zip and one of the seams is now coming apart

Just wondering what to do with it rather then just binning. I'll keep the poles as have a different tent we lost poles from and may be able to utilise. I would obviously pass the whole tent onto a charity but don't thinknits weatherproof anymore

Any clever ideas?

Re: What to do with a worn out tent
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2022, 12:19:57 pm »
If you're going to pass it on whole, then it might make an ideal garden play tent even if it's not suitable for sleeping in.  I'd be surprised if someone didn't want it, maybe stick it on Freecycle.  Even without the poles someone might have a use for the fabric, I made stuff sacks out on an old fly, though that was still waterproof.

« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2022, 01:40:45 pm »
It seems to unlikely to be passed on for much without poles but I wouldn't know.  Any tent we've not wanted has been skipped. Very rare event as they mostly get stored for no good reason.

« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2022, 01:43:11 pm »
Make some lightweight tarps out of it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2022, 01:45:17 pm »
I condemned a tent that had gone properly mouldy once.  That was an easy decision, as I don't react well to spores.  Kept the pegs and chucked the rest.

If it were simply worn out, I'd probably go down the spare parts and stuffsack material route, unless I knew someone who'd have a use for it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2022, 09:59:15 am »
Make some lightweight tarps out of it.
This. Or stuff sacks or similar (or pass on to someone who can).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6 on: 30 May, 2022, 11:52:31 am »
The woman who runs this website https://goodordering.com/collections/all-products has a new range of bags made from old tent fabric, might be worth asking if she wants it.

(I've got a pannier-rucksack from her which I like)

« Reply #7 on: 05 June, 2022, 06:33:06 pm »
I know a man who is making his own warm camping stove and might soon be looking for an old tent to do a test with.  He needs a tent with about 1.5m internal height and that is otherwise able to be cut up for the flue surround without causing emotional distress.

I could check to see if he is interested if you're OK with this.  He lives near Cambridge.

« Reply #8 on: 10 January, 2023, 07:51:17 am »
The answer to what to do turned out to be use itnto cover chicken run during bird flu restrictions

« Reply #9 on: 03 June, 2023, 06:40:22 pm »
And the poles are becoming supports for the sunflowers I'm currently planting out