Author Topic: Brompton noise  (Read 4253 times)

Brompton noise
« on: 07 June, 2022, 08:17:25 am »
I'm hearing a ticking noise coming from my Brompton. It's only when pedalling. It's the same under load or light pedalling, and it's the same in all gears (it's 6 speed). It's more frequent and irregular than crank speed, and slower than wheel speed. Sometimes I think I can feel it through the cranks.

I've had a look and can't see anything amiss. I checked the chainring bolts, greased the bolt in the suspension block, and poked and prodded for anything loose or contacting something it shouldn't. No joy. The BB doesn't seem to have any play. The bike is only a few months old.

Any suggestions?  ???

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Brompton noise
« Reply #1 on: 07 June, 2022, 09:41:00 am »
Creaking saddle clamp or other such annoying elusive cause?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 07 June, 2022, 10:05:28 am »
All Bromptons with SA hubs make a ticking noise, it's normal, varies depending on which gear you are in.

« Reply #3 on: 07 June, 2022, 10:20:05 am »
it's the same in all gears

It's not the normal hub sound and I don't think it is coming from the hub itself.

« Reply #4 on: 07 June, 2022, 07:21:18 pm »
All Bromptons with SA hubs make a ticking noise, it's normal, varies depending on which gear you are in.

Only in the high gear of the hub.

« Reply #5 on: 07 June, 2022, 09:11:44 pm »

Only in the high gear of the hub.

Both mine have ticked in all gears, but the tick varies depending on which gear.