Author Topic: iPhone charger cables (USB-A to Lightning)  (Read 1345 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
iPhone charger cables (USB-A to Lightning)
« on: 01 July, 2022, 09:39:34 am »
I don't want my house to burn down, so I don't mind paying a bit more than £2 for a Chinese knock-off, but on the other hand, £30 for an official Apple cable seems a bit much.

What's the sweet spot in between those two extremes?

I've tended to buy Anker cables in the past, and been happy with them, but what else is worth considering?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: iPhone charger cables (USB-A to Lightning)
« Reply #1 on: 01 July, 2022, 09:44:05 am »
I was about to say Anker.

« Reply #2 on: 01 July, 2022, 09:45:21 am »
Anker or go with the Chinese knock-off as it's just a cable. I tend to go with braided ones as the kids break them!

ian

« Reply #3 on: 01 July, 2022, 09:52:09 am »
Anker are always good in my experience.

I find the USB-A to Lightning cables reproduce to around n=100, with drawers full of the things, until I need one, in which case this immediately resolves to n=0.

citoyen

« Reply #4 on: 01 July, 2022, 10:48:34 am »
Anker are always good in my experience.

I find the USB-A to Lightning cables reproduce to around n=100, with drawers full of the things, until I need one, in which case this immediately resolves to n=0.

The problem I have is not with n reverting to zero when I need a cable, but my uncanny knack of always choosing a cable from the pile that doesn't work...

I need to get into the habit of binning cables when they stop working.

Anyway, sounds like I could do worse than stick with Anker.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 01 July, 2022, 09:28:16 pm »
Anker seems to stick their brand on any old bollocks these days while charging double.

So you might as well just buy any old bollocks yourself.

Lightning cables are in a perpetual quantum state of working mess where if you really need to charge they won’t work but if you’re double-checking before they go in the bin they work fine.

« Reply #6 on: 01 July, 2022, 09:36:10 pm »
I use Anker cables.  I notice that recently they seem to have introduced budget cables, one of which I accidentally acquired.  I would equate it to the same sort of sub-standard stuff that you can buy almost anywhere.

They do the better quality ones still so if you go for Anker just check what you are buying.

citoyen

« Reply #7 on: 01 July, 2022, 10:34:38 pm »
They do the better quality ones still so if you go for Anker just check what you are buying.

It might be a case of being careful where you buy from. I strongly suspect that not everything for sale with an Anker badge on it is a genuine Anker product. Especially on Amazon.

Same goes for lots of other brands. I bought an Otterbox phone case a while ago that I was pretty sure was legit. It's not. Perfectly OK phone case, but not a genuine Otterbox. You can tell.

ian

« Reply #8 on: 01 July, 2022, 11:11:15 pm »
I got an Anker braided USB-A to C recently. Wasn’t the cheapest but the result is functional and sturdy.