Author Topic: Acrobat Reader DC or full paid for acrobat?  (Read 1537 times)

Acrobat Reader DC or full paid for acrobat?
« on: 30 July, 2022, 09:34:25 am »
Looking from advice from people who routinely review multipage adobe documents (300-400)

I am required to read and review multiple documents often of several hundred pages as part of my work.  These are usually badly scanned copies often rotated and different sizes.

I have a specific portrait touchscreen monitor for viewing these in the free reader DC program.  My gripes are with the key presses I need for rotating, etc.  I increasingly need to sign pdfs but this is currently less of a problem.  I do need to highlight occasionally and sometimes (increasingly) commenting would be useful.

Would it be worthwhile upgrading to a paid version?  Cost is not really a problem(within reason) as it is tax deductible and if it improves my comfort and productivity I can go riding more!

Re: Acrobat Reader DC or full paid for acrobat?
« Reply #1 on: 30 July, 2022, 10:32:40 am »
Chris, are you on a Mac? Try viewing, rotating and signing PDFs in Preview. I have no idea whether Preview works in what for you will be a natural and intuitive manner, better than a paid version of Acrobat.

« Reply #2 on: 30 July, 2022, 10:41:37 am »
Thanks road-runner.  I use both Mac and Windows.  Principally for this work I use windows.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 30 July, 2022, 10:47:00 am »
I don't know about full Acrobat but Acrobat Reader is one of the nost bloated, buggy, insecure and pointless applications you can allow to infest your computer.  There are plenty of alternatives now.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2022, 11:05:22 am »
I would suspect the multiple key presses that are annoying you in the reader are the same in the full version. It just has more features but a common UI.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 30 July, 2022, 11:41:01 am »
I can’t remember the precise differences between them but I think you’ll be able to do all you need to do with the free Adobe Reader.

You only need Acrobat Pro if you’re creating PDFs for publication and need advanced editing, colour management etc. One of the main reasons I need Pro at work is tagging documents for accessibility, which you can’t do with Reader.

As Roger says, if you don’t need all those advanced features, there are probably better alternatives. I would prefer not to install Adobe products on my computer if I had the option to use something else instead.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Acrobat Reader DC or full paid for acrobat?
« Reply #6 on: 30 July, 2022, 11:45:24 am »
I would suspect the multiple key presses that are annoying you in the reader are the same in the full version. It just has more features but a common UI.

I realise I didn’t read the OP properly… if he’s already using Reader then yes, you’re right, he’ll probably find that Acrobat Pro comes with the same issues. It is, as you say, exactly the same UI - you just don’t have access to all the menus in Reader.

Apparently there’s an Adobe Reader Touch app designed specifically for windows touch screens. No idea if it’s any good.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #7 on: 04 August, 2022, 06:35:11 pm »
I don't know about full Acrobat but Acrobat Reader is one of the nost bloated, buggy, insecure and pointless applications you can allow to infest your computer.  There are plenty of alternatives now.

yebbut the quality of the alternatives is either shite or they don't offer the same commenting functions.

Chris, you can comment and save file with comments in the free reader (I have used it in this way professionally for many years).

Not sure about the key presses that are annoying you. If you are working with scanned documents put into pdf . . . ugh. I guess in your job, these might be scans of handwritten notes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>