Author Topic: Helinox chairs: which one to choose  (Read 3230 times)

Helinox chairs: which one to choose
« on: 07 August, 2022, 04:23:05 pm »
We are a two Helinox Chair One household.  They are mighty fine chairs and, with a groundsheet and / or replacement larger feet give sterling service.  However, my eyes have been turned by the much larger and probably even more comfortable Helinox Savanna chair.

Does anybody have one or has anybody tried one?   The Chair One is a great product but we are no longer cycle tourists.  It would seem that a little extra comfort from a larger chair might just be welcome.  Is the Savanna the perfect Helinox or is there another Helinox or even other brand and model that I should be considering?

Re: Helinox chairs: which one to choose
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2022, 08:11:42 pm »
Alpkit now do a higher back and  slightly higher seat Vagabond chair which is fairly comfy. I have only used it on the one occasion so far. Seems ok and is easier to get up out of than the Helinox but has a tendency to fall over backwards when not being sat upon. Don't know if this is a design fault or me not putting it up correctly.  Not one for cycle camping due to its weight/bulk.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2022, 09:02:09 pm »
They appear to do a Vagabond which is a bit like a Chair One XL and a Vagabond High Back which is a bit like a Sunset.   Slightly different approach to the way the frame goes together by the look of things.  Not suggesting that it'any better or worse, just different.

I think that most lightweight chairs are susceptible to falling over / being blown around in the wind when not occupied. 

I haven't found anything about their maximum weight-"bear"-ing capabilities but I expect that information is hiding somewhere on the internet ...

« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2022, 10:43:55 am »
I like the look of this one, American, but they say they do WW delivery:

https://kilosgear.com/products/high-back-chair-2

« Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2022, 11:01:38 am »
Interesting.  It has a similar pole system to the Alpkit.

Thanks for the link.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 10 August, 2022, 09:43:05 am »
Whichever Helinox you get, it'll give you a light laugh.

(helium + nitrous oxide innit?)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6 on: 10 August, 2022, 09:53:45 pm »
I've got a Chair One, which is very compact, but also and more recently a Vango one similar to the Micro Chair. That's more comfortable, partly because it's a little less compact. So I take whichever suits the circumstances.

« Reply #7 on: 12 August, 2022, 12:17:41 pm »
Well, I found a Savanna discounted as it is the classic black with blue trim (my preferred anyway) and also a groundsheet to stop soft ground sinkage all for the price of a Chair One.  I blagged the last one apparently.

It has arrived and has been assembled and tested.  I am extremely happy with my choice and look forward to many hours in parks and on campsites sitting in my chair which in turn will be in my Royal Box.

I am an unapologetic Helinox fanboy and happy to be so.  👍

« Reply #8 on: 12 August, 2022, 06:10:51 pm »
Well your probably going to be crowned sometime 😉.  I glad that you have found your perfect throne 😀
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2023, 06:53:41 pm »
I have been extremely pleased with my Savanna.  I spotted a Helios Sunset "Finisterre" collaboration edition going cheap so blagged it for mllePB.

As we are car campers now we don't need the smaller,, lightweight stuff.

I did try a similar chair to the chair One.  I cannot remember the brand but I do recall that the pole system was different but the size very similar.  It was less supportive in my opinion so I am pleased that I have stuck with Helinox.

We're all different but I have a Helinox arse.

« Reply #10 on: 16 May, 2023, 07:04:37 pm »
I once bought one of the early lightweight backpacking chairs decades ago. First time I used it I got comfortable in it and leant back.  Rip! The fabric tore where the frame pole was in the sleeve. Seems at 6'5" tall the leverage when leaning back was beyond the strength of the low m for he chair.

Are these helinox type chairs actually any good for tall ppl?

« Reply #11 on: 16 May, 2023, 09:03:05 pm »
My friend Martin who is still 6ft 3 ins tall even with back issues and the inevitable shrinkage with age still uses a Helinox Chair One and finds it very comfy and supportive.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #12 on: 16 May, 2023, 11:02:55 pm »
When cycle camping a decent chair to sit in is a real boon i've found, especially when on campsites that for one reason or another don't have benches or if you don't want to leave the tent to use them. I have a helinox, bought from jurek otp and it's great. Others are too heavy to carry on a bike. I know this: i have four others and the helinox wins every time
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #13 on: 17 May, 2023, 07:01:23 am »
Have two of the Aldi version - been great.  Watch seat width though...
(design might have changed - bag slightly diff)

(At RIAT19)

IMG_20190720 by ao, on Flickr
IMG_20190720_114614211 by ao, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson