Author Topic: TRO alteration shenanigans  (Read 1866 times)

TRO alteration shenanigans
« on: 07 August, 2022, 08:40:49 pm »
Hello folks,
I scenic road I am fond of has been closed for a long time (2020) for nearby major civil engineering work. I went to the council website recently to see if it had reopened, and then I found that they had applied for a TRO change earlier in the year (so 2022) altering speed limit and limiting parking and parking time.  I am too late to put in a view, and they state they only accept submissions via an on-line form, which is now closed. To my view, the parking restrictions will harm all who want  to start a walk or bike ride from there, since you'd have to be extremely quick. There was a bit of a dogging issue in the evening, but I imagine they get that over with in an hour or so, so the council have enabled the doggers and stopped the other recreational users! What I can't get is, since the road was completely shut to both cyclists and vehicle traffic, how were the statutory notices meant to have been seen and acted upon? They are usually cable tied to nearby lamp posts etc.  We've been steering clear of the area. I feel it is really a stitch up, and not dissimilar to  the notice of Vogon demolition of the earth. I'm not confident in how to protest to the council, and I'm uncertain how to take this further. Are there any activist bodies or charities that might help me?
Note: I'll add that the road was wasn't completely closed along it's entire length, but there would be no reason to enter it at its junction because you would eventually hit the blockage, so the defacto closure point was different to the actual closure point. Any notices at the actual closure point would have remained unseen.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
Re: TRO alteration shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2022, 10:18:40 pm »
https://www.ramblers.org.uk/advice/paths-in-england-and-wales/changes-to-the-path-network/traffic-regulation-orders.aspx

"
::
Notice of a proposed TRO must advertised in a local newspaper, sent to consultees, and placed on site. An on site notice only applies if the authority considers it desirable to give adequate publicity to the order. At least 21 days must be allowed for objections to be received.
::
"

My bold.  So, Judge, Jury and Executioner, and yes https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/40705-but-the-plans-were-on-display-on-display-i-eventually seems to apply.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Re: TRO alteration shenanigans
« Reply #2 on: 16 August, 2022, 09:59:25 pm »
Thank you for your response; I appreciated it. That text at ramblers.org was pretty clear and clear cut.  The hoi polloi are given a voice within narrow limits, deluding them into thinking they have any sway over anything except the trivial.