Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1016205 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Seen today
« Reply #275 on: 30 September, 2008, 10:56:56 am »
While on me holibobs:

• Raccoon (dead)
  • Skunk (also dead)
  • Coyote (alive and utterly indifferent to noisy motorcar until prompted with Audible Warning of Approach)
  • Very large raptor of unknown make (though I think probably McDonnell-Douglas)
  • Matt Scott
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #276 on: 30 September, 2008, 12:51:46 pm »
Ooh-  when we were trundling near the Thames, we had a ruddy great heron fly directly over the top of us!  It was a bit like an eclipse.

At Brooklands, we also saw a Dove, a Kestrel, and a Hawk(er).  Not to mention a Merlin and a Bluebird.  Though they weren't birds... :P
Getting there...

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #277 on: 30 September, 2008, 01:35:52 pm »
While on me holibobs:

• Skunk (also dead)

Theer is, of course, a song about that:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/doqTSev-_lQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/doqTSev-_lQ&rel=1</a>

« Reply #278 on: 01 October, 2008, 10:52:20 pm »
While on me holibobs:
Very large raptor of unknown make (though I think probably McDonnell-Douglas)
Lockheed, surely

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #279 on: 02 October, 2008, 02:30:35 pm »
A snake.  Don't know what sort, but about six inches long, dark grey in colour and with a light v-shaped marking on the back of its head.  Not the sort of thing one expects to encounter in Harlow station car park!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #280 on: 02 October, 2008, 02:35:06 pm »
Fungi:

Oooh, nice fungus, Pingu  :thumbsup: (I collect ones I see, in picture form).

And a very superior photo, too - what camera do you use? Is it a physically small one?
Profit or planet?

« Reply #281 on: 02 October, 2008, 02:54:45 pm »
For some odd reason, yesterday I saw loads of crows/ravens (dirty great big black things anyway).  Whereas normally cycling across Tooting Bec and Clapham Commons, you'll often see a load of pigeons digging around looking for insects on the grass, yesterday the crows seemed to have replaced them.  This morning the pigeons were back, and the crows gone again.

I guess it must have been something to do with the weather/wind speed ... ?
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #282 on: 02 October, 2008, 05:42:00 pm »
A snake.  Don't know what sort, but about six inches long, dark grey in colour and with a light v-shaped marking on the back of its head.  Not the sort of thing one expects to encounter in Harlow station car park!
V marking open end forwards? A baby grass snake?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #283 on: 03 October, 2008, 11:51:00 am »
This morning I had a splendid view of a greater spotted woodpecker, about 80' up in a sycamore tree, showing itself on some dead branches at the top. It stayed there for quite some time, making quite a bit of noise against the backdrop of a cloudless sky. I wish I'd taken my binoculars.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #284 on: 03 October, 2008, 12:21:19 pm »
We had one that came to the tree in our garden quite often. Now the tree is chopped down no more woodpeckers or squirrels :(
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #285 on: 03 October, 2008, 07:14:11 pm »
A pigeon with two legs but only one foot. Seemed perfectly happy. That's a Robin and  a Pigeon I have seen with this impediment now, I might start a book or something.

« Reply #286 on: 03 October, 2008, 10:42:18 pm »
Saw a red squirrel in Hamsterley Forest :)

Pete

« Reply #287 on: 05 October, 2008, 01:00:30 pm »
A pigeon with two legs but only one foot. Seemed perfectly hoppy.
FTFY.
Sorry, couldn't resist.  IGMC...

border-rider

« Reply #288 on: 29 October, 2008, 06:07:53 pm »
Fallow deer, when I was running :)

Fallow Deer

4 females/juveniles today, and a damn big male on Monday.  Very distinctive horns.

They were in nondescript grey winter colours though

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #289 on: 30 October, 2008, 07:52:04 am »
A pigeon with two legs but only one foot. Seemed perfectly happy. That's a Robin and  a Pigeon I have seen with this impediment now, I might start a book or something.

One footed pigeons are a regular sight in London - not quite sure why.  We have two regular feathered visitors who are unipedal...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Analog Kid

• aka noquitelance
« Reply #290 on: 30 October, 2008, 08:38:39 am »
Just seen our "commuting" heron getting mugged mobbed by a pair of crows.

Regarding the uniped birds (do they fly in circles due to uneven drag and weight distribution?)..

Many years ago I remember being told by people that worked in a huge coldstore that all the birds that flew in and couldn't get eventually suffered the consequences of frost bite..

..although I feel there's large pinch of salt and urban mythery about this.
Books are for tourists...

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #291 on: 02 November, 2008, 10:23:00 am »
Hundreds and hundreds of geese flying over in formation. Presumably arriving to over winter here from the Arctic. Twas a wonderful sight and sound set against an icy blue winter sky.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #292 on: 05 November, 2008, 10:57:04 pm »
Tonight was the first time I've seen a hedgehog in our garden, ruddy huge it was too  :thumbsup:

Analog Kid

• aka noquitelance
« Reply #293 on: 06 November, 2008, 06:05:55 pm »
28 starlings and 2 goldfinches on the telegraph wires (power cables actually) that run alongside our garden at 4.30pm today.

All in one long line.

Would've made a good picture, didn't have a camera to hand unfortunately.
Books are for tourists...

« Reply #294 on: 06 November, 2008, 06:36:47 pm »
28 starlings and 2 goldfinches on the telegraph wires (power cables actually) that run alongside our garden at 4.30pm today.

All in one long line.

That sounds very <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sg39dHNQkUU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Sg39dHNQkUU&rel=1</a>. ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #295 on: 10 November, 2008, 05:09:58 pm »
I counted 95 avocets at Two Tree Island this morning. The tide was in and the lagoon had lots of waders on it. Lapwings, ringed plovers, quite a few shovelers, dunlin, redshank, godwit, grey plovers, knots, teal. It was cold, wet and miserable. Must have made the buggers that flew in from Siberia feel quite at home - the weather and the archipelago.

« Reply #296 on: 20 November, 2008, 11:50:14 am »
Four foxes on the way home yesterday.  I was a bit later than usual (left work around midnight), and being midweek, by that time the roads were pretty quiet.  I obviously spooked a couple of them, since they suddenly legged it at speed when they saw or heard me!  They were spread out over my route, and none of them particularly close to a park or common, just bog standard urban residential roads.  The urban fox is clearly proliferating.

« Reply #297 on: 20 November, 2008, 07:28:37 pm »
A barn owl.  Possibly the same one that I saw earlier in the year, since it was only about five miles away from the spot.  It halted on a fencepost and I got as close as ten yards from it before it spooked and flapped away.

Later, another owl flew above me.  I think it was a tawny owl, since it was about the right size, but it was too dark for me to say for sure.

Also, a flock of sixty-eighty geese flew above me.  What a row they made!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #298 on: 21 November, 2008, 01:56:46 pm »
Several goldcrests in a flock of mostly long-tailed tits in the park this morning. Also had two sightings off green woodpeckers and heard a greater spotted. Two goldfinches.

« Reply #299 on: 22 November, 2008, 03:47:09 am »
Five more urban foxes, several of which were a bit surprised, and one small rotund brown and white DSH out on the prowl near Norbury Station, who most definitely was very surprised by a cyclist at this time of night. ;D