Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1017652 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Seen today
« Reply #350 on: 14 January, 2009, 12:55:49 pm »
A dead mouse frozen to the ground. I wanted to poke it with a stick to see if it was frozen all the way through, but I didn't.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #351 on: 14 January, 2009, 04:37:11 pm »
On a walk today - a Kingfisher  and a Red Kite swooping down and scattering 3 Crows  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #352 on: 14 January, 2009, 04:51:08 pm »
In formation?  ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #353 on: 14 January, 2009, 05:35:59 pm »
Now that would be interesting ! Habitat Diversification and all that

Kingfisher - seen on Kennet and Avon Canal.

Red Kite - Seen flying over open farmland  (about 4 miles from the canal) with bits of deciduous woodland inbetween.

Chris N

« Reply #354 on: 14 January, 2009, 07:21:31 pm »
An owl, flying above me on the way home tonight.   :)

« Reply #355 on: 16 January, 2009, 03:00:00 pm »
Felis catus, crossing the A23 near Thornton Heath.  It won't keep all of it's nine lives very long if it makes a habit of crossing the road like that. :o
Actually, it is rocket science.

border-rider

« Reply #356 on: 16 January, 2009, 03:07:59 pm »
and a lovely ghostly barn owl who kept me company for several hundred yards, just in the edge of my headlight beam.  I'm convinced this is some kind of hunting strategy, because I've had it happen several times in the past.

I used to commute across the Berkshire Downs, from Lambourn to Harwell, and on a winter's night it could be an isolated old ride on the stretch around Farnborough.

I often used to get owls keeping me company just as you say, silently flying along overhead, just above the headlight beam for quite long distances.

Magical.

border-rider

« Reply #357 on: 16 January, 2009, 03:08:42 pm »
seen today: a teenage Moorhen and a squirrel scrounging from the bird feeders by the back door :)

« Reply #358 on: 16 January, 2009, 04:17:55 pm »
Yesterday morning at 3:30am. A deer stood by the side of the A64 watching the cars go past.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

chris667

« Reply #359 on: 19 January, 2009, 12:03:03 am »
I saw loads of kites when I took the dog out today. Beautiful birds, and so red when the sun catches them.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #360 on: 19 January, 2009, 10:33:43 am »
Seen last night - a fox on Sutton High Street.  Which reminds me that I spotted something I suspected was a small fox or a big cat in a quiet residential street I was walking down last week.  The brush disappeared up the side of a house, but, as I drew level, it stopped & turned round.  I think it could probably have got over or under the gate, but we stood there, watching each other at close range for a long few moments.  I felt the fox studying me for clues as to my intentions, and i could see it's legs ready for action, but not knowing which way to go.

I felt I was making the poor animal uneasy, so I turned and walked on.
Getting there...

« Reply #361 on: 19 January, 2009, 03:50:06 pm »
Common - a red kite over east Reading.

Unusual (but only because of the location) - a jackdaw on my bird table.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #362 on: 20 January, 2009, 03:18:14 pm »
I've found out why the blue tits aren't taking much from my bird feeder. Why didn't I notice this before? They're all over a big buddleia in a neighbours garden, eating the seeds.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #363 on: 21 January, 2009, 04:14:33 pm »
This morning on the Wandle Delta I saw some pintail and gadwall ducks – there were the usual assortment of swans, mallards and tufted ducks too.

« Reply #364 on: 25 January, 2009, 10:32:34 am »
A melanistic (black) pheasant in our lane. Not seen one near the village before. There used to be one near Castle Howard for several years.

border-rider

« Reply #365 on: 25 January, 2009, 10:37:07 am »
A melanistic (black) pheasant in our lane. Not seen one near the village before. There used to be one near Castle Howard for several years.

I first started seeing these a few years ago near Hungerford and I was very excited.  After a year or two they became quite commonplace.  Handsome birds :)

« Reply #366 on: 25 January, 2009, 11:21:41 am »
Mrs Pcolbeck says she has seen it in the garden. Might have to try and get a picture of it.

« Reply #367 on: 25 January, 2009, 12:05:43 pm »
finally got a pic of this beauty today.. there's a green one that visits too, but havent seen him on the birdfeeder, he just pecks at the lawn.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #368 on: 25 January, 2009, 12:24:28 pm »
finally got a pic of this beauty today.. there's a green one that visits too, but havent seen him on the birdfeeder, he just pecks at the lawn.

Nice photo!

Greens are primarily ground feeders so it's quite normal to see them on lawns (or pecking at the interstices between patio slabs).  I quite often see them feeding on the ground in Richmond Park ( parakeets too but less often)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #369 on: 25 January, 2009, 05:57:41 pm »
Lambs! Spring is springing.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #370 on: 26 January, 2009, 01:42:26 pm »
Two swans flying .

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #371 on: 26 January, 2009, 02:02:58 pm »
OK - it was yesterday and it isn't that wild.  :)

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #372 on: 29 January, 2009, 01:02:54 pm »
The first cherry blossoms.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #373 on: 29 January, 2009, 07:01:03 pm »
A very large number of lapwing at a water treatment plant in Hampton.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Jezza

« Reply #374 on: 30 January, 2009, 12:08:01 pm »
A fieldmouse, hanging upside-down on the bird feeder while feasting on peanuts.