Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1017143 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: Seen today
« Reply #450 on: 16 March, 2009, 06:48:48 pm »
This morning, near Coram Fields (London) a pigeon crossing the road — using a zebra crossing!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #451 on: 16 March, 2009, 11:29:11 pm »
I took a slight detour on the way home as it was such a lovely evening and saw bats down by the river in Wandsworth Park.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #452 on: 16 March, 2009, 11:57:25 pm »
Bats flitting up and down our lane. First ones I have seen this year. Nice to have them back again.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #453 on: 18 March, 2009, 11:13:44 am »
Seen yesterday morning, between Ufton Nervet & Beenham - a buzzard. So used to seeing kites that I assumed it was one at first, even though they're not yet common that far SW (but give them time ... ), but then I saw the tail.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Really Ancien

« Reply #454 on: 19 March, 2009, 06:38:40 pm »
Three Buzzards, wheeling, mewing and displaying, and several very annoyed Crows.

Damon.

« Reply #455 on: 19 March, 2009, 07:57:31 pm »
Four deer crossing a field somewhere near Swindon
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #456 on: 19 March, 2009, 11:30:11 pm »
The dolphins were putting on a superb display this evening  :thumbsup:

« Reply #457 on: 21 March, 2009, 09:32:05 am »

A weasal, and unfortunately the first hedgehog of the year (but flat :'()

« Reply #458 on: 21 March, 2009, 10:09:01 pm »
A hare,

not especially mad though

:) 

« Reply #459 on: 22 March, 2009, 07:41:59 pm »
Three Buzzards, wheeling, mewing and displaying, and several very annoyed Crows.

Damon.
Rather oddly - snap. Near Aldermaston, this morning.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #460 on: 22 March, 2009, 08:30:32 pm »
The first batch of Priory Park frogspawn seems to be well dead and rotting. There's a second batch, appeared about last Thursday, which looks OK at the moment. Fingers crossed.

No ducklings yet. Won't be long now.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #461 on: 22 March, 2009, 08:39:43 pm »
Chiffchaffs galore!

« Reply #462 on: 22 March, 2009, 09:42:22 pm »
Gamboling lambs.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #463 on: 23 March, 2009, 10:43:06 am »
While I was eating breakfast, i was somewhat surprised to see a lame fox (not a Lane-Fox - that's an altogether more irritating beast, and I might approve of hunting them ) appear from by our side gate, and trot diagonally across the lawn to the tree.

Somewhat unusually, on Friday, we had a cat seemingly stuck up the tree all the day, though not yowling.  It can't have been difficult ot get down, but it had been sat there hours.

On the botanical side,  this weekend we saw oceans of daffodils, some snowdrops still flowering, a few magnolias on the verge of bursting into flower.  And primroses smiling from the verges. :)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #464 on: 23 March, 2009, 03:51:13 pm »
Lots of birds in Sussex, too.  You forget how much birdsong there can be when you've lived in a city for a while.  Lovely. 

Most of the birds were nothing very special, but nice to see.  Tits, of course, and a starling hanging on a feeder :o  But also a sweet little wren, a cheeky robin (was that what crapped on out tent?), and, on sunday morning, a smallish greenish bird hopping round just next to the tent, only visible under the edge of the flysheet.  Cool.
Getting there...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #465 on: 23 March, 2009, 10:46:29 pm »
A barn owl flew over as we were driving home last night in deepest, darkest Fife.

Jezza

« Reply #466 on: 26 March, 2009, 10:38:23 pm »
Three wood mice on the feeder.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #467 on: 27 March, 2009, 09:50:45 am »
I was so convinced by the flightpath of one bird this morning, that it was the first Swallow, that I had to get out the studio and trot down the road after it. Mind you, Swallows don't rest in trees, and 'this one' did.

It was a Chaffinch I think, but a beautiful song it had.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #468 on: 27 March, 2009, 10:00:46 am »
A stoat on the way back from dropping off the car for an MOT. It was running around like a nutter in the road and jumping about.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #469 on: 29 March, 2009, 10:59:30 pm »
Three hares.
Marsh harrier.
Barn owl.

« Reply #470 on: 30 March, 2009, 01:13:42 am »
Three buzzards, apparently sharing a thermal, with no sign or sound of discord. Unusually, the corvids weren't trying to chase them away.

Heard a chiffchaff - my first this year while cycling. During Friday's tree-planting excercise, I had concluded that the migrants have arrived in Warwickshire.

And botanically : -

The lesser celandines are nearing their best. We rode past some of my favourite patches and they were carpeted with flowers. It seems to be as good a year for them as it has been for the snowdrops.

Lots of wood anemones on the verges. Again it seems a very good year - I don't recall seeing carpets of them on the roadside before.

Violets in a nice little clump - 'stop & sniff' test indicated dog violets of some sort.

Wild daffodils flowering, though not at their peak yet, unlike the more common cultivated varieties which are truly spectacular around here at present.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #471 on: 31 March, 2009, 07:24:48 pm »
Yesterday afternoon, about 1.45: common lizard! It wriggled across my path just as i was about to cross the River Roach at Stambridge Mills.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #472 on: 03 April, 2009, 07:32:54 pm »
The best view of a stoat I have ever had. He was making his way across the road at quite a leisurely pace and I got a good view of his tell tale black tipped tail.

We also heard a skylark today, if ever a sound summed up summer. Hang on, it's only April. Ah well, it felt like summer in the sunshine.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #473 on: 04 April, 2009, 11:57:42 pm »
A swallow!  :thumbsup: At Sacombe Green on today's WARTY.

I checked the Southend RSPB website and the first report of a swallow on there was last Wednesday, 25th March. This is the earliest swallow I've seen for years, beating by 2 days the swallow Mrs. Wow and I saw on the first day of our LEJOG.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #474 on: 05 April, 2009, 07:12:41 am »
A swallow!  :thumbsup: At Secombe Green on today's WARTY.

I checked the Southend RSPB website and the first report of a swallow on there was last Wednesday, 25th March. This is the earliest swallow I've seen for years, beating by 2 days the swallow Mrs. Wow and I saw on the first day of our LEJOG.

You've made my day WB. Only on Friday as we cycled in what was almost summer like conditions I mentioned to Gill that it was time to start keeping an eye out for the first swallows. It will probably take them a few more days to come this far north but I will be scanning the skies today for that joyful bird.