Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1013799 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Seen today
« Reply #75 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:30:18 pm »
On the way home last night:

1 seal, 1 dolphin.

A pair of swallows managed to get trapped in the large storage area at work yesterday but they seem to have escaped today.

bobajobrob

« Reply #76 on: 08 May, 2008, 03:07:22 pm »
Today, an adder. I knew they existed round here but I'd never seen one until now.

It was badly injured, writhing about in the road but not going anywhere. Guts hanging out in two places. It had obviously been run over and was dying. A passing motorist stopped and decided to run it over a few times. Then I ran over its head a few times with my front wheel to make sure it was not suffering anymore.  :(

« Reply #77 on: 08 May, 2008, 03:11:31 pm »
The house martins are back. One nest is right next to a window and it's easy to watch them coming and going. Initially there appeared to be a dispute over ownership of the nest, but now they're busy home-making.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #78 on: 08 May, 2008, 07:28:44 pm »
1 rabbit, 1 coot, 1 swan, no ducks or ducklings. Also, a bike in the burn at Bingham.

I am alliterative today.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

bobajobrob

« Reply #79 on: 10 May, 2008, 08:57:00 am »
Here's a picture of the adder I found on Cleeve Hill, Gloucs. You can see the distinctive markings on the head and back.

This is a flat snake roadkill picture. It's a bit gory but has mostly dried up now.
(click to show/hide)

Edit: splendid pics of a very much alive adder on Cleeve Hill here.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #80 on: 10 May, 2008, 10:53:51 am »
I love snakes. I haven't seen a live one for quite a while now, but in our youth my brother and I used to catch them. Adders are actually easier to catch than grass snakes - as long as you are wearing a leather glove! Grass snakes exude a foul-smelling fluid, not unlike dog-crap in its olfactory effect, which takes a while to wear off if you get it on you.

We used to have a nylon stocking rolled up our right arms and once you grasp the snake behind the head, it can't get to you. Then you unroll the stocking and the snake is trapped inside. Tie a knot in the top and you can carry it about easily.

Once, an adder found its way out of a stocking I was carrying and slithered harmlessly over my wrist before my brother recaptured it. ;D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pete

« Reply #81 on: 11 May, 2008, 03:54:48 pm »
Hare today - gone .... in the blink of an eye.  Never mind, at least they are still around, notwithstanding  the ubiquitous and wwetched bunny-wabbits.  A great big one, big as a large cat, loping easily through the woods....

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #82 on: 11 May, 2008, 05:03:57 pm »
A weasel scampered across the road a couple of miles from home. We got a good enough view of it to make me think it was pregnant. Either that or it had eaten too much rabbit.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #83 on: 11 May, 2008, 06:47:18 pm »
An Osprey feasting on its catch. As the osprey was perching in the middle of Montrose basin it made for a difficult photographic challenge - one which my kit was not up to. However, I gor an indistict image that one could persuade oneself is an Osprey.

Lots of other bits and pieces - godwits, oystercatchers, swallows, sand martins, garden birds of all sorts.

Must find a way to get a decent long lens.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #84 on: 11 May, 2008, 10:42:25 pm »
Several buzzards
Partridge
Red squirrel
Brown hare
Red Grouse
Deer scampering across a field

Mountain hare roadkill  :(

border-rider

« Reply #85 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:03:51 am »

Both in the garden this morning, but not at quite the same time :)

« Reply #86 on: 12 May, 2008, 11:18:47 am »
I've been seeing foxes virtually every day of the week, although at night, so they wouldn't make as good a shot as that.

Mostly I've seen them on Tooting Bec common, but it looks like there is at least one living in this flower bed, right next to the Tram tracks.  I suprised it, and it jumped back in with much rustling.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #87 on: 12 May, 2008, 12:19:18 pm »
A couple of fully-scaled common carp in a fairly shallow, reedy bit of slow-moving stream. They probably weighed between 2 & 3 lb.

It appears as though someone has got fed up with their goldfish, because there are a couple of them swimming around in the same stretch. I've seen one or other every day for the past three or four days, whereas I'd never seen any goldfish in that bit before.

« Reply #88 on: 13 May, 2008, 01:59:38 pm »
I saw a herd of deer must have been at least 20........  I must remember to take a camera on my rides :(

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #89 on: 13 May, 2008, 02:02:27 pm »
A cuckoo.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #90 on: 13 May, 2008, 03:03:27 pm »
However, I got an indistinct image that one could persuade oneself is an Osprey.

I could be equally well persuaded that that's the Loch Ness Monster ;D

Small and fast-moving bird of prey went past our building while I was having a fag break the other day.  Not being a twitcher, I have no idea what it was, but suspect it has been feasting on the unsuspecting flying rats which live on the roof.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

border-rider

« Reply #91 on: 13 May, 2008, 03:15:37 pm »
Small and fast-moving bird of prey went past our building while I was having a fag break the other day.  Not being a twitcher, I have no idea what it was, but suspect it has been feasting on the unsuspecting flying rats which live on the roof.

Possibly a sparrowhawk if it's been scoffing pigeons.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #92 on: 13 May, 2008, 03:26:54 pm »
However, I got an indistinct image that one could persuade oneself is an Osprey.

I could be equally well persuaded that that's the Loch Ness Monster ;D

If it is it is very lost.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #93 on: 14 May, 2008, 08:15:29 am »
Yesterday I saw a swan on the canal bank, lots of ducks who were very quacky and at least a dozen ducklings. I hope the ducklings all survive. Last year they started off at over a dozen and finished with about three.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #94 on: 14 May, 2008, 08:20:20 am »
Yesterday I saw a swan on the canal bank, lots of ducks who were very quacky and at least a dozen ducklings. I hope the ducklings all survive. Last year they started off at over a dozen and finished with about three.

It's normal for most of the ducklings to get eaten by something or other, else we would be overrun by ducks!

I think that a fair percentage of broods are dwindled down to nothing in a couple of weeks. By contrast, I think it was last year in our local park that a mother duck succeeded in raising to adult size ten ducklings in one brood. I've never seen that before.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #95 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:02:18 am »
First sighting of swifts this year, last night.

« Reply #96 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:26:40 am »
I chased a squirrel (grey I'm afraid) along the Tooting Bec Common cycle path for twenty feet or so.  I think I suprised it, and then it didn't know what to do, as I appeared to pursue it along the path!  Eventually it spotted a nearby tree and leapt onto it, to make good it's escape.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #97 on: 14 May, 2008, 03:03:29 pm »
Identified today, though actually seen a few weeks back.

On a night ride, lots of screaming noises and rustling from the bank at the side of the track. Shone my lights in and saw a badget humping away - not uncommon. But something with two sharp teeth, flat nose, small eyes and big head started at me for a moment, then bolted.

Couldn't work out what it was - I thought Otter, but here in West Sussex? Nah...

Ferret? Too small. Finally decided it must have been a cat, and a trick of the light.

But just got told on a bike ride that yes, otters have been seen in the area - so seems it really was an otter!

« Reply #98 on: 15 May, 2008, 10:08:57 am »
seen in my sisters garden :o

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #99 on: 15 May, 2008, 10:27:03 am »
Snake! Snake! It's a snake!
</Badgerbadgerbadger>
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche