Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1017149 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #975 on: 08 January, 2010, 03:49:20 pm »
Parakeet as I cycled to work.  And I wasn't even in Richmond Park.

They are all over the place these days. They are quite common round here and I have heard them as far in as The Kennington Road as I go to and from.

[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #976 on: 08 January, 2010, 03:50:26 pm »
Superstoker is a bit fed up of their screeching in the back garden waking him up.
Getting there...

« Reply #977 on: 08 January, 2010, 03:58:22 pm »
Parakeet as I cycled to work.  And I wasn't even in Richmond Park.

They are all over the place these days. They are quite common round here and I have heard them as far in as The Kennington Road as I go to and from.

Might be a few less after this winter I would think.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #978 on: 08 January, 2010, 05:49:26 pm »
Finally got a clear sight of the handful of newcomers to the locality and identified them as Redwings.
Took a stroll by the Thames and saw a flotilla of up to 40 Tufted Duck (all male) on the river , and a Heron sitting in a Weeping Willow.

Snake

My Library
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #979 on: 08 January, 2010, 06:19:41 pm »
I saw a fair few redwings today. Also, a cormorant which had abandoned the estuary and taken up on a small freshwater creek. Oh, a solitary mute swan flying about in a snowstorm. It looked lost.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #980 on: 09 January, 2010, 03:00:41 pm »
I took a stroll along the Thames to Seething Wells on the Surbiton / Ditton border. Unfortunately it wasn't even remotely seething , being almost completely frozen over.

Most of the birds I saw on my last visit had gone , but about 50 Lapwing were standing around resolutely on the ice sheltering from the Northerly wind. One Heron remained to keep an eye on the one patch of unfrozen water.

The ice surface was marked by animal (presumably fox) tracks.

The highlight of my walk however was the male Pochard that I saw on the river in Kingston just where the Hogsmill joins the Thames.

Snake

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #981 on: 09 January, 2010, 04:33:27 pm »
Topped up the bird feeders with high energy grub today. They're queuing up. Replaced the ice in the water dish with warm water as soon as I was up. Everything that isn't flowing is frozen.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #982 on: 09 January, 2010, 08:13:25 pm »
Now getting redwings and fieldfares mixing it with the long tailed tits outside my window.

« Reply #983 on: 09 January, 2010, 09:36:11 pm »
A wren in the back yard, after the food which is somewhere under all that snow:

I also saw a couple of moorhens duck walking at the local (frozen) pond :thumbsup:

« Reply #984 on: 10 January, 2010, 11:56:34 am »
A Fieldfare has been taking refuge in our back garden for the last couple of days.
Feeding on berries and taking shelter under our fir trees.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #985 on: 10 January, 2010, 04:42:49 pm »
A couple of Fieldfares have been hiding amongst the Starlings over the last few days. On our walk today we saw masses of bunny rabbit tracks and other unidentifiable marks in the snow. I should never have thrown away those Tuff Wayfinder shoes.  ;D

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #986 on: 10 January, 2010, 06:57:42 pm »
. I should never have thrown away those Tuff Wayfinder shoes.  ;D

I think I remember those !  Were they the ones with the compass in the heel ?  :)
Aero but not dynamic

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #987 on: 10 January, 2010, 08:37:59 pm »
. I should never have thrown away those Tuff Wayfinder shoes.  ;D

I think I remember those !  Were they the ones with the compass in the heel ?  :)

The very same.

« Reply #988 on: 11 January, 2010, 09:52:32 pm »
Standing outside the back door at 0700 - a fox ran ran up to me, failing to see me, and only stopped when he was almost at my feet. No idea where he thought he was going - if I hadn't been there I'm sure he'd have run in to my kitchen.

Also seen in garden lately: boisterous parakeets.

This is in TW9: the wilds of, er, North Sheen  :-\

« Reply #989 on: 11 January, 2010, 09:57:05 pm »
It was yesterday, but to my utter delight and astonishment, I saw a pair of Otters frolicking in the Tees. Otters, in the Tees!  Darlo has otters :D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #990 on: 11 January, 2010, 10:35:58 pm »
That's still an unfulfilled ambition of mine: to see a wild otter.

There was a piece on the BBC website the other week about a pair of dead otters found in an illegal crafish trap on the river Wid, between Chelmsford and Billericay.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

border-rider

« Reply #991 on: 11 January, 2010, 11:14:21 pm »

I've seen them in the US, but never here.  I'd love to.  They had them (apparently) on the lower reaches of the River Lambourn

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #992 on: 12 January, 2010, 07:05:30 am »

We've seen several whilst touring in the Western Isles.  Our best spot was on Jura when one was busy catching his/her lunch in front of us while we sat eating ours.  :)
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #993 on: 12 January, 2010, 09:00:04 am »
Most of a Peregrine, chomping on something, about 1 foot away from my feet, for several minutes.  In fact it’s still there.

To explain, I work on the 15th floor of a 16 floor building and we are regularly privileged to see a peregrine, sometimes two, swooping round the building.  At the moment it is perched below my window and I can only just see it by pressing my forehead against the window and looking down, seeing its body lengthwise, its head busily working away at a dead something, probably a pigeon.  It was the flying feathers that alerted me to it.  Thaty was 10 minutes ago and it is still there.

anth

« Reply #994 on: 12 January, 2010, 02:48:35 pm »

« Reply #995 on: 12 January, 2010, 02:58:50 pm »
I like to see coots out of the water. Just to look at their really weird looking feet.  ;D
I'm sure they're a Friday afternoon rush job by Mother Nature.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

anth

« Reply #996 on: 12 January, 2010, 03:05:25 pm »
I like to see coots out of the water. Just to look at their really weird looking feet.  ;D

They're also a good bet for the Ministry of Silly Walks

border-rider

« Reply #997 on: 12 January, 2010, 04:17:30 pm »

we have teenage moorhens in our pond, and in the cold weather they've been coming round to the house to eat the birdfood.  They're really funny, and their tracks in he sno are great :)

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #998 on: 12 January, 2010, 08:24:37 pm »

One of three spots where Mr Rodent met Mr Owl

border-rider

« Reply #999 on: 12 January, 2010, 08:28:15 pm »
Great photo Tony !

It's been noticeable how many bloody splodges there are on the snow in and around the woods.  Predator heaven...