Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1016662 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #1325 on: 29 June, 2010, 07:40:33 pm »
30 Red Kites.

Can you guess which motorway I was on today?

Yes
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1326 on: 29 June, 2010, 08:20:59 pm »
Thought as much.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #1327 on: 30 June, 2010, 03:45:51 pm »
On Sunday I looked up in to the clear sky above my garden and  saw what I thought was a Cormorant , except that it was higher than you would expect and just cruising about on the air currents in a most un-Cormorant like manner.
As I watched the bird soared even higher , became a speck in the sky , then disappeared completely.
Can anybody think what bird might look like a Cormorant from below and behave like this.
I assume Cormorants could not fly like this and would have no reason to do so.

Snake

My Library
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1328 on: 30 June, 2010, 06:00:22 pm »
Heron?

« Reply #1329 on: 30 June, 2010, 08:15:50 pm »
Soaring doesn't sound like a heron.
Crane?

Snakehips

« Reply #1330 on: 30 June, 2010, 08:43:49 pm »
Heron and Crane (that would be great to see) have large wide wings and legs that stick out the back in flight. I didn't see legs , but the tail looked slightly fan-like .

Snake

« Reply #1331 on: 30 June, 2010, 09:34:44 pm »

Sitting on a fingernail shows just how tiny they were:

Very tiny! Great photo's. Did you have wet hands for picking it up?

There's a reservoir near where I used to live and I came across a kilometre* long trail of toadlets along the reservoir wall and heading into the woods. They were slightly bigger than yours, nose to tail and three or four wide in some places. Thousands of em.

*checked on OS map at home.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1332 on: 01 July, 2010, 09:15:27 am »
Unlikely to be a raven in this area, and cormorants DO get quite high up. Was it soaring with still wings, or beating them at all? How were the wing beats? Did they look as if they were flicking back from the wrist?
One possibility is white stork. At height, it canlook very black and thus changes shape. I have seen them over Kent. The predominant whiteness can let them "disappear" when at the right angle to the light.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1333 on: 01 July, 2010, 10:27:43 pm »
Dead tortoise in the road 10ish miles south of Norwich. Very sad as my folks have a tortoise, Daisy, that they've had for 35ish years, and this one looked a similar size (i.e. very adult - Daisy is about 90 as far as we know).
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Snakehips

« Reply #1334 on: 02 July, 2010, 08:30:12 am »
Unlikely to be a raven in this area, and cormorants DO get quite high up. Was it soaring with still wings, or beating them at all? How were the wing beats? Did they look as if they were flicking back from the wrist?
One possibility is white stork. At height, it canlook very black and thus changes shape. I have seen them over Kent. The predominant whiteness can let them "disappear" when at the right angle to the light.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

TT , I did see a few wing beats at first but at that time I was convinced I was watching a cormorant. As it got higher the wing beats ceased.

It has occurred to me that it might just have been a largish gull , we get Herring and Lesser Blackbacked on the Thames near here , with its whiteness obscured by its distance from me.

I will keep my eyes aloft.

Snake

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #1335 on: 02 July, 2010, 10:49:09 am »

Sitting on a fingernail shows just how tiny they were:

Very tiny! Great photo's. Did you have wet hands for picking it up?

Thanks - Canon Digital Ixus 75 in digital macro mode. I just put a finger down in front of one & it obediently hopped straight on, so no special handling required
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

Chris S

« Reply #1336 on: 04 July, 2010, 01:42:19 pm »
A grass snake wot the cat dragged in:

Bloody cats  >:(

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1337 on: 05 July, 2010, 02:01:06 am »

Call that a snake?
THIS was a snake!
Road kill 200 yards from my front door. Glove in for scale

She was pregnant.

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #1338 on: 07 July, 2010, 10:54:13 am »
A Sparrow Hawk on the back lawn, with a young Starling dinner.

Another sparrowhawk sighting - sitting in the top of the pyracantha at the bottom of the garden, in urban Bristol, for about 30s before flying off.
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1339 on: 07 July, 2010, 08:53:39 pm »
Another Red Kite. Yeah, yeah.

But this was over the M25, about 1 mile Heathrow-wards of J12.  Never seen them so close to London before.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Chris N

« Reply #1340 on: 08 July, 2010, 11:29:23 am »
I saw a cormorant this morning.  In the midlands, 70 miles from the sea. :o

« Reply #1341 on: 08 July, 2010, 11:51:26 am »
They come up rivers in summer quite often. We get them at Kirkham which is about 25 miles from the sea regularly.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1342 on: 08 July, 2010, 10:36:15 pm »
Seen while in Soho Square Gardens: a raptor (looked like a falcon) hovering over Centre Point.  Stooped and killed.  Awesome.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #1343 on: 09 July, 2010, 09:54:15 pm »
I saw a cormorant this morning.  In the midlands, 70 miles from the sea. :o
I've seen one recently within 10 miles of Meriden. It was before the pubs had opened ;). One of my fellow wildlife volunteers (a birder with a better eye for fauna than I can ever aspire to) has seen one or more at Draycote Water.

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #1344 on: 11 July, 2010, 08:02:28 am »
That's a very good list for a single visit, it must be one of those rare country parks that is managed for nice habitat rather than dog walkers.

From my own eyes 200+ km around the hills of S Wales covering many habitats yesterday yielded only about 20 bird species (raven, redstart and wheatear being about the most exciting), are our feathered friends moulting already?

« Reply #1345 on: 11 July, 2010, 10:40:30 am »

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1346 on: 11 July, 2010, 10:52:34 pm »

Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1347 on: 11 July, 2010, 11:04:51 pm »
A young badger (cub?) sort of fell out of a roadside hedgebank as we were riding through deepest Worcestershire this morning. It seemed a bit dazed, but obviously not too badly, since by the time we had stopped to look back it had disappeared. The hole that was presumably a sett entrance was thigh high, so it is presumably pretty good at climbing near-vertical banks

« Reply #1348 on: 11 July, 2010, 11:58:03 pm »

Spear thistle?

Surely water lilies, but the amphibian in the foreground makes identification a bit difficult ;).

Superb photos btw. I've been told the name of the bumble bee this week, but have already forgotten.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1349 on: 14 July, 2010, 02:34:59 pm »
Just been clearing out the pond a bit. This little chap came up with a pile of weed.
There's no vibrations, but wait.