Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1016716 times)

RJ

• Droll rat
Re: Seen today
« Reply #1750 on: 28 March, 2011, 09:34:45 pm »
On a gloriously sunny and almost warm ride home today, (on my new bike  :)), 2 roe deer and several thousand pink footed geese.  (Or perhaps bean goose ?  I've no idea, I'll assume pink foot).

Pinks, (OK, almost) absolutely certainly, in those numbers, in Scotland.

The SOC Gallery recently had a few shots of a mixed flock of pinkfoot and bean - even with the two species in the same shot and the bird guide in front of me I still can't tell the difference...The SOC - photo viewer

Ideally (in a mixed flock), you need a good view of their legs - bean goose legs are bright orange.  The first bean goose I ever saw (on the Black Isle, about his time of year, many years ago) was in a flock of about 1000 pinks that I was scouring for darvic rings (those 2-colour plastic engraved ones with a unique code for each bird) - and suddenly there was a pair of bright orange legs that belonged to a bird that otherwise looked quite like a pink-footed goose.

For a long time they were treated as a single species.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1751 on: 28 March, 2011, 09:37:50 pm »
A ginormous bee.

Yeah - one of those was chasing FirstBorn as he was cycling round and round a quiet bit of drive at Pollock Halls yesterday.  Spring seems to have almost sprung (but a wet end to the week is on the cards ...).

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #1752 on: 28 March, 2011, 09:41:15 pm »
Ideally (in a mixed flock), you need a good view of their legs - bean goose legs are bright orange.  The first bean goose I ever saw (on the Black Isle, about his time of year, many years ago) was in a flock of about 1000 pinks that I was scouring for darvic rings (those 2-colour plastic engraved ones with a unique code for each bird) - and suddenly there was a pair of bright orange legs that belonged to a bird that otherwise looked quite like a pink-footed goose.

Thanks for the tip - I'll keep a look out !

(Thinks...So why aren't they called orange footed geese ?  :))
Aero but not dynamic

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1753 on: 28 March, 2011, 09:47:22 pm »

Thanks for the tip - I'll keep a look out !

(Thinks...So why aren't they called orange footed geese ?  :))

Possibly because:  too obvious  ;) ?; Greenland white-fronts have orange legs too (but then there's more than one species of goose with pink feet ...); errr, some other reason ...

Not a clue, really.  In German, pink-footed goose is Kurzschnabelgans (short-billed goose) - which is possibly more usefully descriptive ...

« Reply #1754 on: 28 March, 2011, 10:13:01 pm »

Wild Boar in Britain

I've never seen one but it seems possible.

They're quite numerous in the Forest of Dean now; some of the verges in the Forest have been rotavated by them.  They've crossed the Wye and are heading this way !

(For those not reading the Audax board) many of us were rather sad to spot a piglet on the verge in the Forest of Dean on Saturday. Dead but quite fresh looking. Almost more orange than brown to my eyes, and about the size of a very fat jack russell.

Orange isn't wild boar.
It's Duroc, outdoor pig.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1755 on: 28 March, 2011, 11:26:44 pm »
Seen on Saturday & Sunday in Perthshire:

Buzzards, red kites, reed bunting, curlews, lapwings, kestrel, partridge, red grouse, deer (unspecified), dead red squirrel, yellowhammer, goldeneye, heard a GS woodpecker, saw some GSWs. And a starling at Loch of the Lowes which the staff thought was very unusual.

ETA - siskins

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1756 on: 29 March, 2011, 10:26:43 am »
Kate Hoey MP, squashed against the wall of the tube beside me, on the Jubilee line last night on my way to see Elbow at the O2.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1757 on: 29 March, 2011, 05:35:11 pm »
Kate Hoey MP, squashed against the wall of the tube beside me, on the Jubilee line last night on my way to see Elbow at the O2.

Was there anyone else in the carriage?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1758 on: 29 March, 2011, 06:13:49 pm »
Is she a Wild Thing?
Getting there...

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1759 on: 29 March, 2011, 10:32:24 pm »
Wild? She's absolutely livid!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Seen today
« Reply #1760 on: 02 April, 2011, 02:07:31 pm »
A swallow.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1761 on: 03 April, 2011, 11:21:20 pm »
Red kites in Aberdeenshire this today  :thumbsup: Loadsa buzzards, too.

« Reply #1762 on: 03 April, 2011, 11:30:20 pm »
A slow worm in the garden. It slithered off under the fence before I could summon any other witnesses.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #1763 on: 04 April, 2011, 07:35:07 am »
This morning two herds(?) of deer at different locations, a solo muntjac and I felt the waft of a pheasants wings on my face.

« Reply #1764 on: 04 April, 2011, 08:32:40 am »
An echidna - in our yard!  We were alerted by our barking dogs who were unable to do it damage as it was rolled up tight.
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1765 on: 04 April, 2011, 07:25:58 pm »
Red kites over Outwood. That's near Gatwick. They're spreading. Run for the hills.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #1766 on: 04 April, 2011, 08:03:59 pm »
Red kites over Outwood. That's near Gatwick. They're spreading. Run for the hills.

Yep. In a few years they will be back in the streets of London picking up dropped chicken bones.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #1767 on: 04 April, 2011, 10:53:00 pm »
They've long since mapped out all the fast food places in Reading that are careless with their scraps.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Simonb

« Reply #1768 on: 04 April, 2011, 10:55:42 pm »
They've long since mapped out all the fast food places in Reading that are careless with their scraps.

They won't make it this far east (Ramsgate). The seagulls here are vicious.

« Reply #1769 on: 05 April, 2011, 02:45:40 pm »
right outside my office window, about 3 yards from my chair - a sparrowhawk taking a pigeon mid-air and crashing to the ground, then flying off slowly with pigeon. 

:thumbsup:   (unless you're a pigeon, in which case  :( )

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1770 on: 06 April, 2011, 11:35:40 pm »
A squadron of five parakeets alongside the M25, between junctions 3 & 4.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #1771 on: 07 April, 2011, 05:42:31 pm »
A squadron of five parakeets alongside the M25, between junctions 3 & 4.

Only five , that would make a pleasant change. They go over my house in hordes of up to 40 at a time.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #1772 on: 08 April, 2011, 03:00:23 pm »
The 1st bluebells I have seen this year & 3 Buzzards 2 a light colour & 1 dark brown whilst out walking yesterday.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #1773 on: 09 April, 2011, 05:29:31 pm »
On a little ride this morning, several buzzards, a kestrel, and a sparrowhawk.  Oh, and a hen harrier  :)
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #1774 on: 09 April, 2011, 10:43:42 pm »
Some pretty butterflies (white ones with brown tipped wings) accompanied us up the road today. One of them stayed with us for ages - several hundred yards at least :D. There were also some yellow butterflies around the same area.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.