Author Topic: Mid-Essex and the Rest of the World Epiphany - Saturday 8th January 2022  (Read 7747 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
And the Bury Lane ford in Great Waltham's a near-miss on your route: I've had an off there last year, and years ago, a spectacular whizz through at speed one cold but dry winter's morning, when I realised at the last minute that the approach was icy from vehicles dripping as they exited. No option but to avoid steering and braking - and still not sure how I stayed upright. I think I'll take the cautious old man's option of the footbridge in future.

That's my famous one!
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
ROUTE AMENDED to include some ford action, thanks josse  :thumbsup:

For those who are not planning to ride standard bikes, I note that the barrier at 1.4km is going to be problematic. So I'll probably need to miss that section and regroup at 2.1km.

I'm not sure where the ford is. How accessible is the footbridge?

For the Chelmsford cycle paths, I think they all use bollards to limit access, which will be fine.

You'll be fine with that there's a barrier but a wide side part to it as the barrier is now in a hedge!  The only pictures I have of the ford are in the dark, but the footbridge is on the left as you come down.

It's not a very clown bike friendly route at the moment, but if you are doing it on Penelope then I might give it a go.

How did we make it over to Butts Green last time?

Meadgate Ave is awful esp the bit near Longfield (rows of parked cars and oncoming white van man) - we could use the route we used last time and collect Cpt Slow on route - there's even an Alpine pass climb we could use!

Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
And the Bury Lane ford in Great Waltham's a near-miss on your route: I've had an off there last year, and years ago, a spectacular whizz through at speed one cold but dry winter's morning, when I realised at the last minute that the approach was icy from vehicles dripping as they exited. No option but to avoid steering and braking - and still not sure how I stayed upright. I think I'll take the cautious old man's option of the footbridge in future.

That's my famous one!

I've amended the RwGPS route again.  jibers I suggest you bring your trunks and a towel as there are now now two swimming opportunities  :thumbsup:

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
ROUTE AMENDED to include some ford action, thanks josse  :thumbsup:

For those who are not planning to ride standard bikes, I note that the barrier at 1.4km is going to be problematic. So I'll probably need to miss that section and regroup at 2.1km.

I'm not sure where the ford is. How accessible is the footbridge?

For the Chelmsford cycle paths, I think they all use bollards to limit access, which will be fine.

You'll be fine with that there's a barrier but a wide side part to it as the barrier is now in a hedge!  The only pictures I have of the ford are in the dark, but the footbridge is on the left as you come down.

It's not a very clown bike friendly route at the moment, but if you are doing it on Penelope then I might give it a go.

How did we make it over to Butts Green last time?

Meadgate Ave is awful esp the bit near Longfield (rows of parked cars and oncoming white van man) - we could use the route we used last time and collect Cpt Slow on route - there's even an Alpine pass climb we could use!

We got to Butts Green via Slough Road, Bicknacre and East Hanningfield.
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.