Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750587 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #2750 on: 18 January, 2012, 07:58:03 pm »
OK, I'll start my North Hill circuits at about 8.15, when I tire I'll rest on that bench at the top of the steep bit...and wait for you to come past!!

I'm off for a 5 mile run now...

Sitting on benches waiting for blokes whom you met on the interweb to rock up is not, I would respectfully suggest, great for your reputation!!!  That'll be twice in a week!   ;D

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2751 on: 19 January, 2012, 12:22:46 am »
It's OK, OD, we noticed each other going up and down the hill, and so were able to rendezvous in the Rodney like civilised folk.

t'was lovely to meet honor, and huggy's company was passable too.

I arrived home at 23:40, which means huggy must've won his bet.  He just needs a cooperative cat in order to end up £5 richer, if I understand the arrangement.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

trixie

« Reply #2752 on: 19 January, 2012, 08:11:54 am »
It was a good hill training session - each time I will try to increase my efforts x 1.  So as the evenings become lighter I will start earlier and earlier...(no rushing).

Good to meet Oaky and to see Huggy again - awaiting your final 'stats' reports.

OD I should be cross with you!! I am just as ugly and scary as any bloke...and quite capable of looking after myself!!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2753 on: 19 January, 2012, 08:17:01 am »
OD I should be cross with you!! I am just as ugly and scary as any bloke...and quite capable of looking after myself!!

;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2754 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:42:26 am »
I arrived home at 23:40, which means huggy must've won his bet.  He just needs a cooperative cat in order to end up £5 richer, if I understand the arrangement.
The usual predeparture discussion with the current Mrs H is my return home time to Huggy Towers, which I have to concede is usually the next day.  However, on this occasion I insisted that I would be home before midnight; of course I was not believed.  During the course of the evening refreshments I received some progress report requests via the modern wonder called SMS on my mobile communication device - I continued to insist as we were only 6 miles from home I would be back in time.
Photographic evidence with the hairy scrounger that lives with us (aka Pippa the cat) was required to be posted to facebook to prove my return time.
I am happy to report that even after all the faffing of putting steed away, locking up Huggy Towers and going round turning lights off, I was ready to take a picture of myself with the current Mrs H snoring blissfully sleeping  :demon: , however, she woke up, looked at the clock saying 23:51, and told me to put the camera away!
I had won the wager  :smug:

I too enjoyed the evening company and my 2.5 ascents of NH.  Unusually, it was me that went left to right across the bar ale pumps, & then started again, and Oaky stuck with the one for most of the evening - causing some confusion when saying he'd have a PP when I started to slow my consumption rate.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #2755 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:46:50 am »

;D

I take it you have seen OD, you cant be THAT bad :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #2756 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:51:18 am »
The usual predeparture discussion with the current Mrs H is my return home time to Huggy Towers, which I have to concede is usually the next day.  However, on this occasion I insisted that I would be home before midnight; of course I was not believed.  During the course of the evening refreshments I received some progress report requests via the modern wonder called SMS on my mobile communication device - I continued to insist as we were only 6 miles from home I would be back in time.
Photographic evidence with the hairy scrounger that lives with us (aka Pippa the cat) was required to be posted to facebook to prove my return time.
I am happy to report that even after all the faffing of putting steed away, locking up Huggy Towers and going round turning lights off, I was ready to take a picture of myself with the current Mrs H snoring blissfully sleeping  :demon: , however, she woke up, looked at the clock saying 23:51, and told me to put the camera away!
I had won the wager  :smug:

I too enjoyed the evening company and my 2.5 ascents of NH.  Unusually, it was me that went left to right across the bar ale pumps, & then started again, and Oaky stuck with the one for most of the evening - causing some confusion when saying he'd have a PP when I started to slow my consumption rate.

Thank god for that explanation I wondered what the hell " He just needs a cooperative cat in order to end up £5 richer, if I understand the arrangement" meant :o :o

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2757 on: 19 January, 2012, 10:36:25 am »
There is a new thread that you lot may be interested in  ::-)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2758 on: 23 January, 2012, 07:55:52 pm »
Looking forward to my first MEMWNS of the year - but it might not be this week, due to parents meetings. Depends how quick we are and how near here the venue is......

« Reply #2759 on: 23 January, 2012, 07:58:35 pm »
 :smug:
Looking forward to my first MEMWNS of the year - but it might not be this week, due to parents meetings. Depends how quick we are and how near here the venue is......

isnt the venue at the school  ???

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #2760 on: 23 January, 2012, 08:22:13 pm »
There is a new thread that you lot may be interested in  ::-)

meh  ::-)

Perhaps we should choose somewhere nearer to Tomsk. How about Fleshey.

I'd like to propose an Essex trip down to the Olympic roadrace at Box Hill when we next meet, so have a think about it chaps.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2761 on: 24 January, 2012, 09:01:02 am »
Pleshey sounds good to me.  I'll be able to re-use my direct route

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2762 on: 24 January, 2012, 12:28:05 pm »
I'm not out to play this week  :'(

« Reply #2763 on: 24 January, 2012, 02:08:58 pm »
Oaky, there's a cut through to Little Waltham from the Wheelers Hill RAB, so you can avoid going along the Essex Regiment Way, if you want to.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2764 on: 24 January, 2012, 02:51:00 pm »
Oaky, there's a cut through to Little Waltham from the Wheelers Hill RAB, so you can avoid going along the Essex Regiment Way, if you want to.

Yep - I know - I use it all the time - Google won't draw the line on it though (it might work set to "walking mode" I guess).

EDIT: indeed - in walkign mode Google maps will use that cut through, but then it refuses to follow the A12 (I actually use the shared use foot/cycle path from Witham to Hatfield Pev).

« Reply #2765 on: 24 January, 2012, 02:52:58 pm »

Yep - I know - I use it all the time - Google won't draw the line on it though (it might work set to "walking mode" I guess).
Just north there is an uderpass, Sheepcoates Lane.

« Reply #2766 on: 24 January, 2012, 03:10:34 pm »
I could be up for it this week. Which establishment in Pleshey do you have in mind?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #2767 on: 24 January, 2012, 03:21:28 pm »

EDIT: indeed - in walkign mode Google maps will use that cut through, but then it refuses to follow the A12 (I actually use the shared use foot/cycle path from Witham to Hatfield Pev).

Ah, yes - sorry. I forgot about some limitations of Google Maps. I most likely won't be out, Wednesday night is turbo night...

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2768 on: 24 January, 2012, 03:25:07 pm »
I could be up for it this week. Which establishment in Pleshey do you have in mind?

The Leather Bottle usually - can't get enough of the formica topped tables :)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2769 on: 24 January, 2012, 06:40:39 pm »
Leather Bottle :thumbsup:

Should be able to leave Dunmow shortly after 8pm, so will be in Pleshey by 9 easily. Brilliant plan, thanks chaps!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2770 on: 24 January, 2012, 08:18:50 pm »
Pleshey sounds good to me.  I'll be able to re-use my direct route

A CDC route  ;D  Have fun chaps!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2771 on: 25 January, 2012, 09:37:59 am »
Sorry, once again I am abusing this thread by using it as a mid-Essex noticeboard ...

Within the next fortnight I shall be riding back to Witham from London one evening a week.  At this stage I'm not sure which evening, it might change on a weekly basis.  My plan, as it stands at the moment, is to set off from the Liverpool Street area by 1800 hours and ride a fairly direct route.  My research to date has indicated this is c43 miles.  The roads are likely to be busy in places so over time I might find quieter roads which will increase the distance a little.  There obviously scope to hook up with the MEMWNS crowd on Wednesday evenings.

Is anyone interested in joining me or knows of interested parties?

« Reply #2772 on: 25 January, 2012, 11:07:50 am »
What is the planned route ( it might go close to my place) and I could ride with you for a while  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2773 on: 25 January, 2012, 01:22:33 pm »
What is the planned route ( it might go close to my place) and I could ride with you for a while  :thumbsup:

:o  Would an old git like you be able to keep up???   ;D

I've sent you a PM by the way.

« Reply #2774 on: 25 January, 2012, 01:56:04 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :sick: :sick:
KMA