Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750355 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #3975 on: 24 April, 2013, 12:53:54 pm »
Actually, come to mention it, I think I had in mind going to Wickham Bishop via Little Braxted. A few extra miles and vertical metres.
You've cunningly not mentioned which off-road sections you're going to drag us down  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3976 on: 24 April, 2013, 12:55:09 pm »
 O:-)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3977 on: 24 April, 2013, 12:55:17 pm »
Actually, come to mention it, I think I had in mind going to Wickham Bishop via Little Braxted. A few extra miles and vertical metres.

Wanna meet at the fire station?

That would make more sense if we're going in that direction
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3978 on: 24 April, 2013, 12:57:35 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #3979 on: 24 April, 2013, 02:01:02 pm »
I may surprise you all by, actually, turning up tonight!  :o

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3980 on: 24 April, 2013, 02:42:30 pm »
Good stuff Del as I will have The Book with me!

« Reply #3981 on: 24 April, 2013, 05:32:39 pm »
I'm gonna have to bail. There's been a bit of stuff hitting the fan and I'm still mopping up  :-[

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3982 on: 24 April, 2013, 05:34:54 pm »
I'm gonna have to bail. There's been a bit of stuff hitting the fan and I'm still mopping up  :-[

You're going to miss out on The Compasses!!!  Wanna come over later?

« Reply #3983 on: 24 April, 2013, 08:53:48 pm »
Sadly the elixir of the Compasses is tantalisingly out of reach.

Got me stuff sorted, panic over, had a couple of jars as a result since it affected 90ish% of the users.

On train home :-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3984 on: 24 April, 2013, 09:42:57 pm »
We is at der pubbe!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3985 on: 25 April, 2013, 08:32:44 am »
Great ride, mostly on tarmac.

Excellent beer, as would be expected ( although OD detected a strange flavour/ odour which he eventually ascribed to the dishwashing of the glasses).

I had the oak leaf(?) dragon on the floor, a Colchester cream stout and another that I can't remember.

As a bonus, delthebike was in attendance :-D

STOP PRESS: Important news: the SEEFODEXDFPC* was convened and Decisions Were Made.

OD will be along in a minute with full details, I'm sure.

* the " Stupidly Early Even For Oscar's Dad Essex Xmas Do Forward Planning Committee"
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #3986 on: 25 April, 2013, 09:56:20 am »
MEMWNS to the Compasses at Littley Green. I figured this would take about 2.5 hours but in the end it was just two hours, so I arrived a bit earlier than planned (I should re jig my average speeds up a bit). The route took me through E.Hanningfield, where I saw Chelmer CC at the village hall, Bicknacre, Little Baddow, TMNH, where I recorded a speed of 59kmh, and just as I hit that a Police car lurking at a junction, Crix, bounced off Terling, which is when the shower started, and finally Great and Little Leighs. I found a road that I haven't ridden before and a brick and flint wall which was magnificent and demanded a photo stop.

At the pub I had a pint of Oscar Wilde and a rather good bag of mixed nuts and raisins. The others soon arrived, I don't know and nor do I want to know what Oaky is doing at the back there  :hand:,

and voting started. Bloomers is voted as something or other and we re-enacted the scene for a posterity photo.

Bloomers receives the good news about the vote via a conference call. Notice how Huggy treats the call with the dignity it deserves!  ::-)

I left early as I had a two hour ride. I thought it had stopped raining but it had continued all the time we were in the pub. I stopped twice on the way home. First time was to cape up and second time was for a red ATS at Chelmsford Parkway. Route home was Gt. Waltham, Chignals, Chelmsford, Gt. Baddow, West Hanningfield, Battlesbridge and finally Rawreth and Rayleigh. I decided that because of the rain, which still hadn't stopped, that I'd stick to the main roads rather than negotiate the back roads.
Today was also the first time that the Galaxy has been ridden since mid October. It felt weird to start with after riding fixed for six months!

A very good night and ride.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3987 on: 25 April, 2013, 12:35:59 pm »
Antoher Essex pub bought by the locals.  :thumbsup:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-22281558

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3988 on: 25 April, 2013, 01:30:08 pm »
For me, that pub has the added advantage of being physipcally attached to my son's house.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3989 on: 25 April, 2013, 03:19:52 pm »
For me, that pub has the added advantage of being physipcally attached to my son's house.
How would G feel about a crowd of drunk MEMWNS' staying overnight? We don't leave much mess or food and are, for the most part house trained.  ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3990 on: 25 April, 2013, 03:23:31 pm »
What's the worst that can happen?  After all Del, as our newly nominated Appropriate Adult you'll be on hand to make sure everyone's OK!

« Reply #3991 on: 25 April, 2013, 03:34:48 pm »
What's the worst that can happen?  After all Del, as our newly nominated Appropriate Adult you'll be on hand to make sure everyone's OK!
Isn't Slipgate Elfen Safe Tea? Does he know yet?  ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3992 on: 25 April, 2013, 03:39:15 pm »
I sent slippy a text last night. Not heard from him. He's probably left the country.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3993 on: 26 April, 2013, 08:58:19 am »
STOP PRESS: Important news: the SEEFODEXDFPC* was convened and Decisions Were Made.

OD will be along in a minute with full details, I'm sure.

* the " Stupidly Early Even For Oscar's Dad Essex Xmas Do Forward Planning Committee"

Largely due to the fact that no-one had done anything particularly stupid that warranted a pi55 taking session we got to talking about this year's Christmas Do.  The question that seemed most pressing was who would be nominated to wear the Musky Reindeer Pelt of Destiny.  Huggy immediately suggested bloomers and as you can see from Del's picture the motion was voted upon and unanimously carried.  I minuted all this in The MEMWNS Little Book of Big Ideas so it's official.  Interestingly, last September when a few of us were discussing who should organise the 2012 Christmas Do Huggy immediately suggested bloomers.  I'm not sure what bloomers has done to Huggy but there are clearly bridges to mend.

We also cast about for other absentees upon whom we could foist greatness.  Thus, and it has been duly recorded, slippy has been nominated as Elf & Safety Officer.  Huggy is going to loan his elf costume and we will organise a specially printed hi-vis jacket.  slippy will have to complete a risk assessment and a one liner that simply says "What's the worst that can happen?" is not acceptable.  Mind you as a starting point this question is very valid.  The answer, based on previous experiences, should be "Quite a lot!"

As Oaky has mentioned, it was grand to see Del.  We discussed a strategy to encourage Del to turn up at the Christmas Do and decided giving him a job might work.  I must now take you back into the mists of time to an event that lives on even in the memories of those that weren't there.  That night Del did a sterling job of getting a drunk me safely back to my Outlaws were I was staying.  Based of this caring performance Del has been nominated as the Appropriate Adult for this year's Christmas Do and will defend the interests of any vulnerable attendees. 

I was nominated as Inappropriate Adult but my role is as yet undefined.

It was a very useful night   :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3994 on: 26 April, 2013, 11:38:28 am »
Doesn't look like I'll be around next week.  Me and a bike could be up north.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #3995 on: 26 April, 2013, 02:20:41 pm »
Shame. No garbled conference call to look forward to then.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3996 on: 26 April, 2013, 02:37:15 pm »
Shame. No garbled conference call to look forward to then.

They have phones in Manchester - I think.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3997 on: 29 April, 2013, 07:10:48 pm »
Phew, thanks for not nominating me in my absence!!

This Wednesday - anybody around?

Damn, just found I should be at a private view at Tate Britain on Weds evening  ::-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3998 on: 30 April, 2013, 02:18:18 pm »
There is a slim possibility that I might be available for this malarkey tomorrow evening, if a malarkey there be.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3999 on: 30 April, 2013, 02:23:04 pm »
There is a slim possibility that I might be available for this malarkey tomorrow evening, if a malarkey there be.
We could all go to the Tate and, going in separately, say that we're Tomsk's plus one.  That'll work! :thumbsup: