Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750372 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #5600 on: 21 October, 2014, 08:25:21 am »
A speedy recovery, old bean!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5601 on: 21 October, 2014, 09:00:41 am »
How's the bike?  :(
The bike appeared to be okay and OD was able to ride it off to be cared for in his bike garage, hope mine behaved himself with all those others in a confined space!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5602 on: 21 October, 2014, 09:34:26 am »
The headset felt a tad loose but I didn't have the chance to investigate too much. Hopefully working from home on Friday so pop round if you're free.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5603 on: 21 October, 2014, 09:37:39 am »
The headset felt a tad loose but I didn't have the chance to investigate too much. Hopefully working from home on Friday so pop round if you're free.

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #5604 on: 21 October, 2014, 09:59:45 am »
Following your comment on FB from the policeman that attended the scene, he has obviously never experienced riding in central London, high viz or not it makes no difference with pedestrains and vehicles not seeing you....... Glad to hear you're ok and the bike is being tenderly looked after by OD!

« Reply #5605 on: 21 October, 2014, 10:19:55 am »
GWS Huggy. Nothing broken I hope. Wasn't the Salsa was it?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5606 on: 21 October, 2014, 11:03:20 am »
GWS Huggy. Nothing broken I hope. Wasn't the Salsa was it?
Nothing broken on me and apart from a headset query not too much damage to my Specialized Crosstrail that with me on board probably has a similar mass to the Fiesta which came off worse with the loss of its wing mirror and probable scuffs to the driver's door.  I have bruising to legs & left elbow and pulled muscles in my back, nothing that I haven't had worse on a football field where incidentally I didn't wear hi-viz either.  Limping and generally moving gingerly this morning, expect that to continue for a few days before getting back in the saddle.
My magic hat survived without a scratch proving that it had absolutely no purpose that was pressed in to action last night except maybe not enabling the attending police officer another reason for only just stopping short of blaming me for the incident when he saw my dark sweatshirt on the trolly saying 'is that what you were wearing?!', well yes, under my coat.  Apparently Hope Vision 1 lights are not enough warning to motorists that a cyclist is approaching at the same pace as other traffic using a lit roundabout at dusk which was quite busy at the time although the road was clear for me, at least it should have been.
Contacted British Cycling Insurance this morning to log the incident, they seemed quite disappointed when I said that's all I wanted to do and didn't need to take it any further.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #5607 on: 21 October, 2014, 12:43:50 pm »
Get well soon, the Essex brewing industry will survive....probably.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #5608 on: 21 October, 2014, 01:46:41 pm »
Ouchies! GWS huggy.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5609 on: 21 October, 2014, 05:36:06 pm »
Ouch....poor Huggy - get well soon. Those Tin Boxes are in an unholy alliance with the badgers.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5610 on: 21 October, 2014, 05:59:56 pm »
It'll be badgers driving tin boxes next, then we're all in trouble!!

The Retiree

« Reply #5611 on: 22 October, 2014, 09:24:30 am »
Ok Gents, keeping in line with the nocturnal series how does this route look as a nice all night training ride for the PBPers? http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/737420

Obviously thinking of a Friday or Saturday night departure from Witham, and very akin to OD's Witham led night ride last year where he kindly opened his shop in Colchester for midway refreshments, my parents have a holiday bungalow in Frinton where we can stop off half way for hot drinks and some refuelling! I was then thinking we could finish up with breakfast at the Spoons in Witham where we can invite WAGS to join us if they wish. Thoughts please.......

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5612 on: 22 October, 2014, 09:40:19 am »
Did you guys make a decision about tonight? I'm not on Grand-dad Duty this week so may well be available. If I can find a chauffeur I will do my best to join you for a drink. If I can't find a chauffeur I might just join you for a bag of nuts.

Let me know about the venue and I may well try to find it.

The Retiree

« Reply #5613 on: 22 October, 2014, 09:48:15 am »
I think we settled for The Rodney - North Hill in the end, myself and Trainmanbri will be departing Witham at 7.30 to head over

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5614 on: 22 October, 2014, 10:08:42 am »
I know the Rodney well. It's that blurred one that always seems to be moving at about 40 mph.

The Retiree

« Reply #5615 on: 22 October, 2014, 10:22:53 am »
Or in other circumstances very slowly at about 10mph as you make the journey towards the summit wishing you could stop for a pint as you go by  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5616 on: 22 October, 2014, 10:27:35 am »
Or in other circumstances very slowly at about 10mph as you make the journey towards the summit wishing you could stop for a pint as you go by  ;D

When I'm going up that hill, 4mph is quick for me. I once reached the top when out for a ride with Delthebike and he had grown a beard whilst waiting for me.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5617 on: 22 October, 2014, 11:24:04 am »
Ok Gents, keeping in line with the nocturnal series how does this route look as a nice all night training ride for the PBPers? http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/737420

Obviously thinking of a Friday or Saturday night departure from Witham, and very akin to OD's Witham led night ride last year where he kindly opened his shop in Colchester for midway refreshments, my parents have a holiday bungalow in Frinton where we can stop off half way for hot drinks and some refuelling! I was then thinking we could finish up with breakfast at the Spoons in Witham where we can invite WAGS to join us if they wish. Thoughts please.......

Looks good to me, I'm up for this - any idea of possible dates?

Other route options that occur to me:

1] The Wivenhoe cyclepath along the river Colne avoids the climb up the main Clacton Road - who can resist nocturnal comedy-off-roading?

2] Pick up the coastal cyclepath further south at Jaywick and follow up to Frinton over the golf course......

The Retiree

« Reply #5618 on: 22 October, 2014, 11:58:13 am »

1] The Wivenhoe cyclepath along the river Colne avoids the climb up the main Clacton Road - who can resist nocturnal comedy-off-roading?

2] Pick up the coastal cyclepath further south at Jaywick and follow up to Frinton over the golf course......

I am happy to tweak the route, the cyclepath along the Colne would probably be just about passable for road bikes and I guess we would then cut up through Wivenhoe onto the B1027 follow that to Jaywick Lane and then pick up the seafront bike path all the way along the sea into Frinton?

Date wise I am happy to try and get this in before the year is out or dependant upon others commitments maybe early next year?

« Reply #5619 on: 22 October, 2014, 12:18:37 pm »
Mr Lane, you are aware that you seem to have fallen onto the slippery slope of the world of Audax and soon you will be justifying nights out on the bike to chase points right?

Sounds like a great plan...I am well up for that especially not having to get up for work the next day.

« Reply #5620 on: 22 October, 2014, 12:19:28 pm »
If I can find a chauffeur I will do my best to join you for a drink.
I'm about to go out on my bike, because I can  :P. If you want a chauffeur and I'm insured, only a named driver here, I'll drive you over to Rodders in the Leaf.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5621 on: 22 October, 2014, 01:26:56 pm »
I'm about to go out on my bike, because I can  :P
Alright, no need to rub Sodium Chloride in to the wounds!  :P

« Reply #5622 on: 22 October, 2014, 01:30:10 pm »

DL put me down for that looks like a good ride just got to hope the weather is good

« Reply #5623 on: 22 October, 2014, 01:32:11 pm »
DL can you do the route in garmin please

The Retiree

« Reply #5624 on: 22 October, 2014, 01:33:51 pm »

I am happy to tweak the route, the cyclepath along the Colne would probably be just about passable for road bikes and I guess we would then cut up through Wivenhoe onto the B1027 follow that to Jaywick Lane and then pick up the seafront bike path all the way along the sea into Frinton?

Date wise I am happy to try and get this in before the year is out or dependant upon others commitments maybe early next year?

Here is the amended course incorporating the bike path from Hythe along to Wivenhoe folowing the Colne then picking up the coastal bike path from Jaywick all the way along to Frinton http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/737550

I know Tippers slippery slope and all that but I did enjoy OD's led night ride last year, good news Oros we just need to look at a suitable Friday or Saturday night now