Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750746 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #6775 on: 14 May, 2015, 11:14:58 am »

You may want to keep your fingers crossed that Trainmanbri isn't out next week as he treated last night's ride like a cross between a club run and a chaingang.....

I thought he looked evil  ;D
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #6776 on: 14 May, 2015, 11:17:33 am »
I thought he looked evil  ;D

A 1/4 of the way up TMNH as the rest of us were just starting the ascent........  :o

« Reply #6777 on: 14 May, 2015, 12:00:39 pm »
Sounds like a good night last night.....mine went from bad to worse between work and home so although it looked like I might be able to come along for a while the plan went pop before 6pm.

I still owe the kitty money so will do my best to be out next week but with the Bryan Chapman looming I might cut it very short. With all those sheep to impress on a  South > North > South of Wales I want to get all the beauty sleep I can next week!

Is anyone out on Saturday? I am thinking about a longish easy ride likely up towards Cambridge?

Then on Sunday I have to clean my bike, put the 12-30t cassette on (and new chain) and put the rack on ( :o) for the panniers that I will be carrying on either side of the BCM.

« Reply #6778 on: 14 May, 2015, 01:49:05 pm »
Is anyone out on Saturday? I am thinking about a longish easy ride likely up towards Cambridge?
I'm out Saturday and if you want to hang around I'll be going through Cambridge on Sunday.  :P
HTH  ::-)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6779 on: 18 May, 2015, 08:12:52 pm »
So what was the plan for Wednesday? Easy ride and early night, pre-600?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6780 on: 18 May, 2015, 08:22:00 pm »
I'm around - I should be coming out to play assuming my colonial colleagues don't schedule any more meetings for Wednesday night (I can't leave until after 8 o'clock, though when my current last meeting of the day finishes).

* Oaky eagerly awaits a destination
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6781 on: 18 May, 2015, 09:14:32 pm »
A little crawl round the favourites, near to Witham? I haven't seen The Tea-Towel in all its glory by the bogs in the Compasses yet...the re-vamped White Hart at Lt Waltham...finishing at a Witham pub? Just a suggestion.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6782 on: 18 May, 2015, 10:03:50 pm »
I shall be coming back from Manchester although I'm awheel with our Manc colleagues tomorrow evening. Have fun!

The Retiree

« Reply #6783 on: 19 May, 2015, 09:43:09 am »

Can I put an early bid for another short/early one next week or at least a pub that allows a bit of flexibility.  Micro-arrows to the Swan or the Chequers at Totham or somewhere around the Blackwater ridge generally.

Huggy, Bobb and I will need our beauty sleep before the (oh so much easier than the A&S, it's a breeze) Flatlands.

After that normal service can be resumed  - if I haven't taken up bowls instead by then.

With this being an early request and in the event of some major major advance planning how about we give the below a go next Weds?

It's not very exciting and it will look fairly familiar - but it is 55km, it does pass through Tiptree and it is aiming for the Peldon Plough which has sort of changed hands recently (son taken over from parents).

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/9381253

(Also I have no idea how to do hyperlinks never mind ones that just say clicky).
This was the route mooted last week for this Wednesday if it suits everyone?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6784 on: 19 May, 2015, 10:40:12 am »
I'll make an effort to be at the usual roundabout for 7:30, otherwise I'll Plough on alone to Peldon.

« Reply #6785 on: 19 May, 2015, 10:58:33 am »
....otherwise I'll Plough on alone to Peldon.

Groan.

You're on stony ground there.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6786 on: 19 May, 2015, 01:15:04 pm »
Harrowing...

« Reply #6787 on: 19 May, 2015, 01:27:06 pm »
I can see your furrowed brow trying to come up with something else.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6788 on: 19 May, 2015, 01:50:14 pm »
I'm pleased I'm out of farm's way up here in Manchester.

In other news I have been a prize chump today, Huggy has the details, ask him tomorrow evening. I've got myself out of the clarts as I don't have Carlosfandango's circus skills! 

« Reply #6789 on: 19 May, 2015, 04:08:36 pm »
I find the farm references a little irrigating!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6790 on: 19 May, 2015, 05:45:49 pm »
I find the farm references a little irrigating!

Ewe (a pretty one!) can talk!

« Reply #6791 on: 19 May, 2015, 09:02:55 pm »
I have a pass for tomorrow night, I am working from home and I have Thursday off  (oh and Friday, and all of next week) :thumbsup:

I may choose to make my own way from Tiptree though depending on the weather and I will be on the Commuter as I have the trek all shined up and ready to tame the hills of Wales in the weekend.

Also, just to note for June, the Swan in Little Totham are having their Beer Fest between the 13th and 20th (Sat - Sat). I was in there on Sunday for a quick stop and it all looks in good order. Last year the Saturday night was apparently an event to behold!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6792 on: 20 May, 2015, 08:58:26 am »
It's not very exciting and it will look fairly familiar - but it is 55km, it does pass through Tiptree and it is aiming for the Peldon Plough which has sort of changed hands recently (son taken over from parents).

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/9381253

(Also I have no idea how to do hyperlinks never mind ones that just say clicky).

For anyone that may like a useful link to a downloadable GPX/TCX that you don't need an Edge device for in Garmin Connect then here's my translation of tedshred's route
Look CLICKY here
 ;D
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #6793 on: 20 May, 2015, 09:12:14 am »
All things being equal, I am hoping to ride the route to Spa then join you at 7.30 for an easy paced ride to the Plough.

Also, just to note for June, the Swan in Little Totham are having their Beer Fest between the 13th and 20th (Sat - Sat). I was in there on Sunday for a quick stop and it all looks in good order. Last year the Saturday night was apparently an event to behold!

We do seem to be spending a lot of time this side of the A12.  No complaints from me but we couldn't be making Tomsk ride further east unless we were in the North Sea.

Saying that, the Swan on Wednesday the 17th looks like one for the diary.  Then there's Rowhedge, the Yacht Club, Tollesbury Marina...

The Retiree

« Reply #6794 on: 20 May, 2015, 09:38:56 am »

We do seem to be spending a lot of time this side of the A12.  No complaints from me but we couldn't be making Tomsk ride further east unless we were in the North Sea.

Saying that, the Swan on Wednesday the 17th looks like one for the diary.  Then there's Rowhedge, the Yacht Club, Tollesbury Marina...

Don't worry about Tomsk, Ted he's hardcore when it comes to eating up the miles......  ;D

All things being equal, I am hoping to ride the route to Spa then join you at 7.30 for an easy paced ride to the Plough.

EASY PACED RIDE........ less miles equals greater speed ie TT pace :thumbsup:

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6795 on: 20 May, 2015, 09:42:43 am »
I'll be setting off from home as soon after 8 as I can manage, so I'll tear up on my own via a slightly modified route and either hope to catch you en-route or see you at the pub hopefully not too long after you arrive.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

The Retiree

« Reply #6796 on: 20 May, 2015, 09:48:30 am »
I'll be setting off from home as soon after 8 as I can manage, so I'll tear up on my own via a slightly modified route and either hope to catch you en-route or see you at the pub hopefully not too long after you arrive.

:thumbsup: likely you will intercept the peloton on the way across then!

« Reply #6797 on: 20 May, 2015, 09:50:01 am »

EASY PACED RIDE........ less miles equals greater speed ie TT pace :thumbsup:

Well it was worth a try.

It'll do me good.

The Retiree

« Reply #6798 on: 20 May, 2015, 09:56:03 am »
It'll do me good.

And the ascent of Blue Mills is nice and early on whilst the legs are fresh but suitably warmed up....!  :thumbsup:

The Retiree

« Reply #6799 on: 20 May, 2015, 10:02:21 am »
Scrap that I see the route is the other way round so no big climbs to speak of just putting the hammer down  :o